Glashutte Origninal Senator 39-58 Movement
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Glashutte Origninal Senator 39-58 Movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glashutte Origninal Senator 39-58 Movement

Hello,

I was wondering about the 39-58 movement as found in the Senator Hand Date....

1. How is the reliability of this movement?
    2. How is the accuracy of this movement... average +/- seconds per day that is typical?
    3. Is this a movement that can be serviced by most U.S. watchmakers, or must it be sent back to Germany?
    4. Is there any recommended places in the U.S. that would provide quality and trustworthy service to this movement?
    5. How much should I expect to pay for servicing?

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me :)
    Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date Silver Dial
    Monta Oceanking Wet Black/Black Ceramic Bezel/Bracelet
    Instagram: MontaOceanking

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Glashutte Origninal Senator 39-58 Movement

1. How is the reliability of this movement? Reliable as any other GO high end movement, you do not read much on GO movement failures.
    2. How is the accuracy of this movement... average +/- seconds per day that is typical?+/-3
    3. Is this a movement that can be serviced by most U.S. watchmakers, or must it be sent back to Germany? I am sure any skilled and knowledgeable watchmaker can service a 39 movement, however I would advice to use a GO service center, The Swatch Group (US) Inc., 55 Metro Way, Suite #1, Secaucus, NJ 07094

4. Is there any recommended places in the U.S. that would provide quality and trustworthy service to this movement?see 4
    5. How much should I expect to pay for servicing?check website for prices, full service for a 39-48 (level 3) is €620.
    lvt and Watches123 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    1. How is the reliability of this movement? Reliable as any other GO high end movement, you do not read much on GO movement failures.
    2. How is the accuracy of this movement... average +/- seconds per day that is typical?+/-3
    3. Is this a movement that can be serviced by most U.S. watchmakers, or must it be sent back to Germany? I am sure any skilled and knowledgeable watchmaker can service a 39 movement, however I would advice to use a GO service center, The Swatch Group (US) Inc., 55 Metro Way, Suite #1, Secaucus, NJ 07094

4. Is there any recommended places in the U.S. that would provide quality and trustworthy service to this movement?see 4
    5. How much should I expect to pay for servicing?check website for prices, full service for a 39-48 (level 3) is €620.
    Thank you so much for your reply, MiKe. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GO/Swatch Group do not sell GO parts to independent watchmakers. The only way to service a GO is to go back to Glashutte.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    GO/Swatch Group do not sell GO parts to independent watchmakers. The only way to service a GO is to go back to Glashutte.
    A „service“ can be done by any skilled and knowledgeable watchmaker.

A GO does not need to go back to Glashütte.
    Service Center in the US:
    The Swatch Group (US) Inc.
    +1 877 839 5224
    [email protected]

(Stefan Kudoke, when employed by GO, used to work there btw).
    Watches123 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

If I understand correctly, the 39-58 movement in the Senator Hand Date is kind of getting old. I think I read somewhere that it started back in 2009 or 2013?

Am I making a mistake by buying a G.O. with this movement? My fear is, will I still be able to get parts and have it serviced down the road by either Glashutte or SwatchUSA?

Is there longevity to having this watch/movement?

Any thoughts???

Thanks much.
    Last edited by Watches123; 2 Days Ago at 02:03.

That is not old at all for a movement and there should be no issue with having it serviced.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Watches123 likes this.

Developing a new watch movement isn't like coming up with a new dial color. Mike gave an estimated cost for developing a new movement some time back: $5M. So it's NOT something you'll see happen quickly or often. "Old" in movements would be the 2824; the first models go back to the 60's. Or the 2892; in its current size as the 2892-2, it dates back to 1983. The 2892A2 is 20 years old, and it's only now starting to be displaced with some of the better-configured Powermatic 80s.

Another point here is, no one wants to maintain a wide variety of spare parts; it's expensive to do that, in several ways. A good watch is expected to last decades, and service every 5-7 years is routine. The manufacturer's gonna need to plan for 20, 30, 40 years...so changing movements every 5 years is a Really Bad Idea.
    Watches123 likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Developing a new watch movement isn't like coming up with a new dial color. Mike gave an estimated cost for developing a new movement some time back: $5M. So it's NOT something you'll see happen quickly or often. "Old" in movements would be the 2824; the first models go back to the 60's. Or the 2892; in its current size as the 2892-2, it dates back to 1983. The 2892A2 is 20 years old, and it's only now starting to be displaced with some of the better-configured Powermatic 80s.

Another point here is, no one wants to maintain a wide variety of spare parts; it's expensive to do that, in several ways. A good watch is expected to last decades, and service every 5-7 years is routine. The manufacturer's gonna need to plan for 20, 30, 40 years...so changing movements every 5 years is a Really Bad Idea.
    This makes perfect sense to me. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me on this.

Since I am new to German watches in general... Is there any reason why I shouldn't purchase this G.O. Senator Hand Date??? I like the simplicity and balanced nature of this watch. I think the style of it could be timeless...meaning that I don't think that I would grow tired of it :)

Thanks again!

I might want something a tad thinner, given the style; another minor issue is that a date subdial, to me, feels like it should be kept accurate...and this would be in a rotation. I hate resetting date regularly. Last...my preference would be for the Senator Panorama Date.

All that said if you like the twin-eyes look? Heck no, there's no reason to avoid it.
    Watches123 likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information