Help determining authenticity of Krieger

Thread: Help determining authenticity of Krieger

Help determining authenticity of Krieger

I have inherited a rather nice watch, a Krieger. I believe the model is an Aficionado. I do not have a camera wit a macro function, so close ups are very hard. The first 3 links are to pictures I took (blurry), the fourth is to one I found on a website that is very similar, except the face of mine looks darker and greener than it, and mine doesn't have one of those hands wth the crescent thing at the end.

I am wondering a few things. First off, how would I be able to tell if its an authentic Krieger or not? I was not given any documents along with it. The back is clear so I can see inside of it, where there is a weight that spins around, I assume to wind it. Are there any tell tale markings or anything that I could check for to make sure its real. If not I'll just take it to a jeweler I guess. The second thing I am wondering about is approximately what this watch would be worth. I am not planning on selling it, but it would be nice to know. I've seen them for sale for about $2,500 on a website, but the model was slightly different than mine (i.e. Mine was a different color and looked to have more gold on it)

Honestly, I know nothing about fine watches (or any other watches for that matter) This is the most active watch forum I could find. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Mine -http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/923/1000900fj8.jpg

Mine - http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9011/1000899wg8.jpg

Mine - http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1577/1000903ln5.jpg

Like Mine - http://www.kriegerwatch.com/Classic/...929m.30.66.jpg

Smile Re: Help determining authenticity of Krieger

Hi:
    I do not know where you are located. Check their web site for a phone #. They are located in Miami Florida. Call them up and give them the serial # of the watch. They will be able to tell you the model and what the selling prices was and what year it was produced. You can also ask them what the approximate value would be now. However, you could name your own price if you want to resell it. You'll know very quickly if your price is fair. Hope this helps you out.
    Regards:
    Richard

Re: Help determining authenticity of Krieger

I have a Krieger Aficionado among my collection.

This is not a German watch. Krieger is a US Brand utilizing Swiss ETA Movements.

I would not think someone would knock off a Krieger, but your pictures are not clear enough to make an actual determination on line.

Here are pics of my 1996 Aficionado. I have been very happy with the watch and have had it since 12/96.

http://zemals.com/krieger.htm

scott

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I took some better close-up pictures today with my friends camera, I'll post them later on. Sorry about the blurry ones, my camera isn't too good...

EDIT: Alright, I called up Krieger and gave them the model number, B929 (they said they didn't need the serial number). The lady said she thought they were made in 1993, but I dont know how she would have known that without the serial. She also said my specific watch originally sold for $2,985. And to think I used to feel special wearing an $85 watch from Macy's.

I've always though that it was sort of silly to spend anything over a couple hundred on a watch, but after wearing the Krieger around I've come to appreciate the art and precision put into fine watches. I've sat in school and just stared at the inner workings of the watch for like 20 minutes straight. Amazing how they can fit all those precision parts into such a small package. I've also been looking through picture of some of the members here have, they're gorgeous.

Scott, you have the same watch as mine, except my face is more of a dark green.
    Last edited by Taurus; September 30th, 2006 at 04:08.

Thumbs Up Re: Help determining authenticity of Krieger

Hi Taurus:
    The lady at Krieger knew that because of the model you described. At that time Krieger didn't make many models, so it was easier to pinpoint the year. You now are going through what I went through and most of the members on this forum went through. You can wear a cheap watch and it will get the job done. You can buy a dress shirt for $10.00 and a pair of shoes for $30.00. They will do the job. You can also buy a shirt for $100.00 and a pair of fine soft leather shoes for $300.00. They will also get the job done. However, now you appreciate the fabric and materials and the quality and styling more. It is the same way with watches. When I put on my more expensive watches, I feel better, amd when someone stops to ask me what brand I am wearing and how nice it looks on my wrist, it is just a great feeling. I think you will feel this way too, when you start getting some more quality watches, in my opinion, German Watches.
    Best Regards:
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richard kagan
    The lady at Krieger knew that because of the model you described.
    Thats what I thought at first, but the model number on the back of mine, B 929, is the same as on the back of Scotts watch, and his is from 1996. Whatever, the date doesn't matter a whole lot to me, it s a nice watch and I like how it looks.

I would like to start learning more about watches and collecting them, unfortunately the latter won't be possible for quite some time. I dont have the finances available to buy watches that run a few hunded to a few thousand dollars. Doesnt really bother me though; after all, most 16 year old high-school students wouldn't be able to afford nice watches either.

Anybody have any links to where I can learn more about watches and how they work?

Congrats on the watch, and may it give you much pleasure.

Thumbs Up Re: Help determining authenticity of Krieger

Quote Originally Posted by richard kagan
    ... You now are going through what I went through and most of the members on this forum went through. You can wear a cheap watch and it will get the job done. You can buy a dress shirt for $10.00 and a pair of shoes for $30.00. They will do the job. You can also buy a shirt for $100.00 and a pair of fine soft leather shoes for $300.00. They will also get the job done. However, now you appreciate the fabric and materials and the quality and styling more. It is the same way with watches. When I put on my more expensive watches, I feel better, amd when someone stops to ask me what brand I am wearing and how nice it looks on my wrist, it is just a great feeling. I think you will feel this way too, when you start getting some more quality watches, in my opinion, German Watches...
    Richard
    Richard,
    your explanation, how it feels to be a WIS, is great literature :gold
    If you allow, I will quote your essay the next time I have to explain, why I spend so much time and money on items that can be substituted in what they are doing by e.g. mobile phones (my son gave me this answer recently: " I don't need a watch - I can read the time from my RAZR...")...
    This forum attests to me, that I am seriously ill, but that it's a sort of widespread disease :-D
    Nauticus

Thread Information