How accurate is your in-house Nomos? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How accurate is your in-house Nomos?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: How accurate is your in-house Nomos?

Quote Originally Posted by thechocobn View Post
    Nomos Orion +4s/day
    My watch jumped to +12s/day ...
    I contacted my AD/watchmaker, he believes that it got magnetized, like most of the watches which come in for that very problem. He reckons that in the past few years watches get much much more exposure to electromagnetic fields, and this is the problem.
    Being too far from my AD, I have ordered a demagnetizer, and a small compass to check if it really is the problem. Will keep you posted.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I contacted my AD/watchmaker, he believes that it got magnetized, like most of the watches which come in for that very problem. He reckons that in the past few years watches get much much more exposure to electromagnetic fields, and this is the problem.
    Being too far from my AD, I have ordered a demagnetizer, and a small compass to check if it really is the problem. Will keep you posted.
    +12 sec/day is no indication your watch got magnetized, it it would run +20min/day or even faster I'd guess it got magnetized but +12 sec/day ? I doubt it.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

My current Orion weekly average between -3 to 0 secs/day.

Now gone Club Automat weekly average between -1 to +2 secs/day.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nomos Zurich Datum - 12hrs on the wrist, 12 hours dial up in the watch box, it does +1minute/month which I am averaging at +2s/day

Impressed with the winding system as well - I am working on a desk, not exceptionally active through the day, so having not to wind is a pleasure.
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

My Orion (alpha movement) is 3 seconds fast per day.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    +12 sec/day is no indication your watch got magnetized, it it would run +20min/day or even faster I'd guess it got magnetized but +12 sec/day ? I doubt it.
    I now have the compass, and the watch clearly affects it. I should be able to confirm that it was slightly magnetized once I receive the demagnetizer.

Tangents Sport, always on my wrist unless I am in the water, +2 seconds per day.

So, I got the demagnetizer, and had a go at using it for my Orion which had suddenly jumped from +4s/day when I bought it new, to +12s/day a few months later. The watch used to affect a compass – the needle would spin away from or towards the watch – and after attempting to demagnetize it, it doesn’t any more. A good sign.

2 days later, it is now at +5s/day which is a great improvement. I will keep on monitoring it to make sure that the result is consistent. Maybe later I will try the process again to gain that extra second I had. I am not at the better +1 or +2s/day results that many of you seem to have, and not quite sure I should be poking my watchmaker to drop those extra 2 sec.

I don’t know what device ended-up magnetizing my watch, but I will certainly be more careful in the future with mobile phones, RFID readers which are all over the place (work, lifts, garage door, credit-card readers, etc…), laptop, electrical motors, and so on.
    Leporello likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Longjean View Post
    Nomos Tangente new this summer
    dial up -7s/d
    dial down -2s/d
    crown down -7s/d
    crown up -5s/d
    Worn 24/7 (which is my normal practice) -3.6s/d All reading were taken over a 5 day period , watch fully wound each morning.

I would like to know if my habit of wearing a watch 24/7 harms a mechanical watch which has the crown pulled say once a week
    for adjustment as opposed to a good Quartz which is adjusted once or twice a year. Do the stem seals on modern watches stop dust particles from getting into the case?
    UPDATE: after 8 weeks dial up -2 s/d
    dial down +0.8s/d
    worn daily -2.5 s/d
    Why the dramatic improvement? Maybe watches need run in after all but I doubt it since they are adjusted without 8 weeks of continuous running beforehand,
    I would imagine. Did the journey from Germany by post affect it? Perhaps the lubrication needed redistribution after a long period of inactivity. Has anyone experience of this?

Karl told me the same thing when I purchased my Tangente from him 2 weeks ago. It was good to know that if it does start to gain a significant chunk of time/day that it's an easy fix (and one that doesn't have to be sent across the ditch to be resolved). Seeing your results might have to make me pick up a cheap demagnetiser myself.

Back on topic, my Tangente Gangreserve over 4 days gained under 4 seconds, so I'm incredibly impressed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information