WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How accurate is your in-house Nomos?

40K views 89 replies 54 participants last post by  f1vespeed 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd see what people were reporting. Any in house movement will do, automatic or handwind. You may include Wempe watches with Nomos calibres as well.

I did some very rudimentary testing on two of them 6 months ago and found that they were extremely accurate. +2 on the Club Automat and +1 on the Tangente 33. Both were dial up, so theoretically they could achieve even better real life results.

So name your Nomos and state your accuracy observations. For all 6 people at WUS that own a Nomos lol.

See less See more
#11 ·
My watch jumped to +12s/day ...
I contacted my AD/watchmaker, he believes that it got magnetized, like most of the watches which come in for that very problem. He reckons that in the past few years watches get much much more exposure to electromagnetic fields, and this is the problem.
Being too far from my AD, I have ordered a demagnetizer, and a small compass to check if it really is the problem. Will keep you posted.

#6 ·
Nomos Tangente, +2 seconds a day. I´ve had it for less than a week, and have been logging accuracy each morning just to get to know it. No difference if it spends the night dial up or dial down as far as I can tell. In comparison, my 4 year old Omega Speedmaster Professional varies from -6 seconds dial down to -4 seconds dial up and worn during day to -1 second on its side with crown up when not used for 24 hours.

#9 ·
Nomos Tangente new this summer
dial up -7s/d
dial down -2s/d
crown down -7s/d
crown up -5s/d
Worn 24/7 (which is my normal practice) -3.6s/d All reading were taken over a 5 day period , watch fully wound each morning.

I would like to know if my habit of wearing a watch 24/7 harms a mechanical watch which has the crown pulled say once a week
for adjustment as opposed to a good Quartz which is adjusted once or twice a year. Do the stem seals on modern watches stop dust particles from getting into the case?

#19 ·
UPDATE: after 8 weeks dial up -2 s/d
dial down +0.8s/d
worn daily -2.5 s/d
Why the dramatic improvement? Maybe watches need run in after all but I doubt it since they are adjusted without 8 weeks of continuous running beforehand,
I would imagine. Did the journey from Germany by post affect it? Perhaps the lubrication needed redistribution after a long period of inactivity. Has anyone experience of this?

#10 ·
Mine both run within +/-2s per day. Very accurate.

#14 ·
Nomos Zurich Datum - 12hrs on the wrist, 12 hours dial up in the watch box, it does +1minute/month which I am averaging at +2s/day

Impressed with the winding system as well - I am working on a desk, not exceptionally active through the day, so having not to wind is a pleasure.

#18 ·
So, I got the demagnetizer, and had a go at using it for my Orion which had suddenly jumped from +4s/day when I bought it new, to +12s/day a few months later. The watch used to affect a compass – the needle would spin away from or towards the watch – and after attempting to demagnetize it, it doesn’t any more. A good sign.

2 days later, it is now at +5s/day which is a great improvement. I will keep on monitoring it to make sure that the result is consistent. Maybe later I will try the process again to gain that extra second I had. I am not at the better +1 or +2s/day results that many of you seem to have, and not quite sure I should be poking my watchmaker to drop those extra 2 sec.

I don’t know what device ended-up magnetizing my watch, but I will certainly be more careful in the future with mobile phones, RFID readers which are all over the place (work, lifts, garage door, credit-card readers, etc…), laptop, electrical motors, and so on.

#21 ·
Over the past two weeks, my Tangente Gangreserve has run on average +18s/day. It started at +32 s/day but has come down, possibly because I've started keeping it crown-up at night. The watch was purchased "like new" but I believe it is at least 2 years old. There seems to be very high variation between different positions and times of day (e.g., +3 s/day sometimes, and +50 s/day at other times based on the Kello timing app). Should I be worried that there is something wrong with the mechanism, or does it just need to be regulated? Can I have it regulated anywhere? Should I send it to Nomos for service? The date on my warranty card is blank!

#22 ·
While the date may be not be entered on the warranty card,
there should be a dealer stamp. I guess the dealer and NOMOS
both know when your watch was sold.

I don't know "Kello". You do not want to use an app that relies on
the computer's internal clock. Cell phone base stations and the
internet both know the time pretty well. You might try this site:
The official US time (NIST & USNO)
A watchmaker will have a timing machine that can check the rate
in various orientations. If the variation is as large as you suggested
then something is not right, and you should have the watch serviced.
You don't mention your location. If shipping is not an issue I would
try NOMOS service.

Do you want to post some photos for us?

Thanks,
rationaltime

#24 · (Edited)
Pic over here. I use time.is for timing on the long scale. I've gotten 24-hour periods between +6s and +32s. Kello was just for instantaneous timing, to see what the variation was between positions.

I'm in the US, and my warranty card is stamped (but it's from a German AD, purchased second-hand on Ebay) but not dated -- a similar watch by the same seller included a warranty card stamped/signed by the same AD and dated January 2011. Is it true I'd have to pay duties AGAIN if I send it to Nomos? Has anyone else had service in the US?

I'm not super worried, just don't want to have it stop in a year and someone tells me "you should have serviced it now it's dead"

You can see my data below if interested:

TimeNight OrientationSeconds FastAverage
11/28/12 9:500.00
11/29/12 9:50fu32.0032
11/30/12 9:50cu49.0024.5
12/1/12 11:57fu83.0026.87654599
12/2/12 16:25cu108.0025.26726239
12/3/12 19:06cd126.0023.39350181
12/4/12 10:44cu128.0021.20082816
12/4/12 18:47wear137.0021.49722131
12/5/12 2:40cu138.0020.59274611
12/5/12 19:57cu140.0018.86404042
12/6/12 11:35fd152.0018.8283871
12/7/12 10:33cu159.0017.60824425
12/10/12 10:45cu216.0017.94289011
12/10/12 16:08wear223.0018.18552497
12/11/12 13:35cu231.0017.55819477
12/12/12 8:47cu250.0017.91312136

#25 ·
Pic over here. I use time.is for timing on the long scale. I've gotten 24-hour periods between +6s and +32s. Kello was just for instantaneous timing, to see what the variation was between positions.

I'm in the US, and my warranty card is stamped (but it's from a German AD, purchased second-hand on Ebay) but not dated -- a similar watch by the same seller included a warranty card stamped/signed by the same AD and dated January 2011. Is it true I'd have to pay duties AGAIN if I send it to Nomos? Has anyone else had service in the US?

I'm not super worried, just don't want to have it stop in a year and someone tells me "you should have serviced it now it's dead"

You can see my data below if interested:
No, you would not have to pay a duty on the watch returning
from service in Germany. However, you would be liable for duties
on warranty repair. That is the rule. I don't know what to say
about that except vote carefully. Swisservice in Salt Lake City
is an authorized service center for NOMOS. At least one of our
members reported having a NOMOS repaired under warranty
there, and I have had success sending other German watches
there. NOMOS would have to answer the warranty question.
You might as well ask them now.

Thanks for the data. I think we want to see the time difference
for each position rather than averaging all the variations together.
I took the liberty of looking at the differences.

Text Font Line Monochrome Number

I guess the day time wearing is convolved with the night time
position. I think we could get better information if you could
separate the day and night measurements. Some time you
might leave the watch in the drawer all day and all night.

It seems clear the watch is running fast. I suggest having
the watch de-magnetized to see if that affects the average
rate. If that does correct it would remove a large base rate
error from the difference measurements. Then see what
the new measurements tell you to do.

Thanks,
rationaltime

#28 ·
As an update, I've had my Tangente Gangreserve for over a month now. There was definitely a break-in period, with the timing coming down from +40 s/day to around +12 s/day. A few days ago, I finally received a cheap degausser I got on ebay and demagnetized the watch. Now the watch is within a few seconds of accurate (within, say +/- 3 seconds depending on how I wear/store/wind the watch)

#29 ·
Great news! Thanks for giving us the update. Most never take the time to come back and fill us in. Hope you enjoy your NOMOS for a very long time!|>

#34 ·
My Club Dunkel has been with me since December and it's been running +2 on/off my wrist.. well within COSC specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.