Made in Germany, new watch to me: NIMBUS Spektra
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Made in Germany, new watch to me: NIMBUS Spektra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Made in Germany, new watch to me: NIMBUS Spektra

Düsseldorf for sure isn’t the watchmaking Mekka of Germany. However, When visiting the Watchtime Düsseldorf I heard about a Düsseldorf based microbrand and their „Spektra“.

Name:  81893B86-A570-438E-8F90-9CC00A1CB909.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  437.1 KB

Design wise the Spektra reminds us of the 1960s, the timepiece itself is timeless and classic. The case is CNC machined and made of 316L stainless steel, also known as surgical steel („Chirurgenstahl“ as we say in Germany). Fit and finish does not differ compared to watches selling for double the price. The lugs are drilled hich is a benefit for strap changes.

The top crystal is an anti-reflective coated slightly domed sapphire crystal.

The watch is water resistant to only 5 atm, but still has a screw-down crown. He crown is engraved withnthe Nimbus logo.The component is high-quality and decorated with the Nimbus logo.

Name:  65E9FC0C-D2EC-4BE7-A122-39121A99F1C3.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  6035FF33-5999-4017-8D7A-97C448900D1D.jpeg
Views: 95
Size:  293.1 KB

The solid back is screwed. No display back to view the Seiko NH35A movement at work. No big deal imho, the engraving on the back is exceptionally beautiful and well made.

Name:  B299E07A-D3FA-4ED6-B4F6-686315B2D56C.jpeg
Size:  390.6 KB

The movement (hacking) winds in both directions, the power reserve is app. 41 hours.

At Nimbus a watchmaker takes on the work and adjusts the NH35A to four positions which warrants good running properties.

Specs:

• MADE IN GERMANY
    • Seiko NH35A movement, adjusted to 4 positions, 24 jewels, 21,600 a/h, power reserve 41 hrs
    • Case: 40mm in diameter, 20mm lug width, screw down crown, drilled lugs, 5 atm
    • Sapphire crystal with blue AR inside coating
    • Super luminous indexes and hands (green)
    • Diamond cut hands
    • Handmade in Germany leather strap
    • + a free premium nato strap

Name:  1CD277CD-FB8F-4ED0-AD59-114C51513A31.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  302.3 KB

Currently the Spektra is undergoing a face lifting. No watches in stock though. Nevertheless I thought it‘s worth to introduce you to NIMBUS watches.

More info:
    Homepage: www.Nimbuswatches.com
    IG: https://instagram.com/nimbuswatches?igshid=d9j8lfdf4bii

Name:  14C8069F-ACDE-49BF-83D1-A092614C5E24.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  115.1 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

re: Made in Germany, new watch to me: NIMBUS Spektra

Great looking watch. Though, I shy away from thick brushed bezels. Although it looks very nice, I feel like it would get scratched pretty quickly and would be nearly impossible to get back to looking that nice. I would prefer a much thinner, polished bezel myself. Just personal preference.

But I'll be keeping an eye on the brand! Again, beautiful design. I also really like the large crown.
    Zzyzx likes this.
    On Instagram @joes_watches

Quote Originally Posted by platinumEX View Post
    Great looking watch. Though, I shy away from thick brushed bezels. Although it looks very nice, I feel like it would get scratched pretty quickly and would be nearly impossible to get back to looking that nice. I would prefer a much thinner, polished bezel myself. Just personal preference.

But I'll be keeping an eye on the brand! Again, beautiful design. I also really like the large crown.
    All valid points.

Nimbus Watches contacted me shortly after they got to know about the thread here which I mentioned on IG. Sebastian, one of the founders, will prepare some more information for us.

Stay tuned though.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:03.
    platinumEX and Zzyzx like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday Sebastian overwhelmed me with a wealth of information ( not to say overload of information ) that I am only too happy to pass on to you.

When NIMBUS started as a kickstarter project it was already a done deal to produce a „Made in Germany“ watch with parts sourced from local manufacturers in the Pforzheim area. It was also agreed that the watches should be assembled in Pforzheim.

The proceeds of the sale of a watch collection and the already mentioned kickstarter project served as the startup financing.

Name:  19B8D7D3-1F6D-4BB5-8E0C-31958F3E06F2.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  220.7 KB

The SPEKTRA 316L stainless steel case is CNC machined in Pforzheim by an undisclosed family run business
    Material: 316L (CNC machined) featuring
    + 40mm diameter
    + 20mm lugh width
    + 11,8mm height
    + screw down crown
    + flat sapphire crystal (clear AR inside coating - changed from blue AR inside coating to clear because of bad reflections with new dial design)
    + Screwed case back with slightly changed engravings. The watch will now have a special SPEKTRA-Logo
    + 10 atm water resistant
    + drilled lugs - they already changed from screw bars to spring bars right after the first model

Movement:
    + NH 35 SII Seiko movement
    + adjusted to four positions by hand by our skilled watchmakers after the movement is build in. The movement should perform +/-2 - 10 sec.

Dial:
    + Sunburst brush dial in black, grey or blue
    + maybe adding an off-white one (not confirmed yet)
    + super luminous hands and indexes (green luminova). Nimbus are also experimenting with real tritium.

Name:  67F52A73-A20A-4458-A12E-2B80D727309A.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  93.6 KB

Straps:

The Nimbus Spektra will be available with learher strap, Nato or Perlon and stainless steel bracelet

Leather:
    The leather straps are handmade in Augsburg/Germany by Riemer OSWALD, better known as RIOS 1931. They only use German, Swiss and Italian (vintage) leather. RIOS 1931 Is also a family run business.

NATO:

NIMBUS are currently Negotiating with a German manufacturer who owns original Nato-Band weaving machines from the 1970s in his factory that haven't been used for the last 30 years. Probably they will re-start making "Made in Germany" Nato-Straps. For the time being the seatbelt straps are sourced in China.

Perlon

The perlon straps used by Nimbus are made in Germany by EULIT. Founded in 1924, EULIT is one of the leading suppliers of high-quality watch straps. Over 70 employees work in development, production and sales at the company’s two sites: Peiting (Bavaria) and Ilmenau (Thuringia). EULIT is a family run business as well.

Name:  13DA2E0C-5B3A-4105-9362-8649E321DEFB.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  165.9 KB

Bracelet:

Sebastian told me that they also plan to have a bracelet coming with the watch. They decided to go with a Staib, anorher family run business in the Gold Town Pforzheim, probably the best available quality on the market. 100% Made in Germany with a solid folding clasp and available in two different sizes (M=130-150mm; L=150-170mm). Thickness is 4.1mm with an allover brushed finish.
    A similar strap made by Staib retails for 180 - 190 EURO. The NIMBUS bracelet will retail for 139,95 EUR if bought without the watch.

Name:  4C279137-A3EA-4913-868D-70F26B3573BA.jpeg
Size:  1.63 MB
    [WatchUSeek visited Staib in July 2019]
    Name:  BBABA507-0D00-401C-8226-DFE7E295B7C6.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  770.1 KB

Buckles:

All their buckles (for leather, perlon & Nato straps) are made by CRAISS Metallmanufaktur GmbH in Wurmberg, not far away from Pforzheim. CRAISS was founded in 1919). Looking at their portfolio you will identify some brands they work for.

Name:  A4320ABA-6809-4630-9A4B-CAF363FD5668.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  301.5 KB

On their FB I found this buckle:

Name:  746ED915-2001-4CC7-A83C-763B35FC38E8.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  26.8 KB

The Nimbus Spektra will be available in different „sets“:

Option A)
    - €399
    - one watch (of course...)
    - one hand made leather strap
    - one real Perlon strap (or Nato)
    - canvas watch roll with real vintage leather applications
    - solid card board box
    - 3 years warranty

Option B)
    - €499
    - one watch (who would have expected this....)
    - solid mesh bracelet made by
    - one real Perlon strap (or Naro)
    - canvas watch roll with real vintage leather applications
    - card board box
    - 3 years warranty

Look out for their kickstarter campaign and check their special prices.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:55.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Made in Germany, new watch to me: NIMBUS Spektra

Nice looking watch and a good price imo.
    stuffler,mike and Zzyzx like this.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

I love the ethos. Choosing local components (and Staib) definitely earns them respect.

I wonder if they'd be willing to do a custom piece with no dial indices? Or maybe just leaving out 12/3/6/9? Somehow the design seems to be asking for a less busy dial...
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 1 Week Ago at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Sajia32 View Post
    I love the ethos. Choosing local components (and Staib) definitely earns them respect.

I wonder if they'd be willing to do a custom piece with no dial indices? Or maybe just leaving out 12/3/6/9? Somehow the design seems to be asking for a less busy dial...
    A custom piece/dial ? You know how expensive it would be to order just one dial Made to your specifications ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

If it had a Miyota 9015 movement instead, it would be a better watch.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    If it had a Miyota 9015 movement instead, it would be a better watch.
    Even better with a COSC rated ETA 2892-2A. Just saying.
    yankeexpress and watchcrank like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    A custom piece/dial ? You know how expensive it would be to order just one dial Made to your specifications ?
    No idea. I'm imagining the dial as a colored disk, and then the indices are glued onto it. If that's really how it works, then ordering a watch without the indices would mean extra work (and cost) keeping track of that one piece but nothing ultra complicated.
    If the standard dial has holes or slots for the indices, of course, then yes a blank dial would mean custom manufacturing at high cost.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 1 Week Ago at 09:33.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information