Scratch on hardened steel watch

Thread: Scratch on hardened steel watch

Scratch on hardened steel watch

Anyone else living with a scratch on a surface-hardened steel watch? My pre-owned came with one, a small, light one—it was perfect in every other way, so I went for it, just hoping I could be the type not to get bent out of shape over such a minor imperfection. But I feel like it bothers me more because it's a hardened steel case, and the scratch, no matter how small, is like this permanent evidence of its failure to be scratch resistant enough. I'm not usually this OCD about scratches ... anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. I really love the watch, but I'm considering flipping it and paying a bit more for a scratch free example as I'm tired of my eyes searching out the scratch, which isn't usually easy to see, before the time.

Re: Scratch on hardened steel watch

I have the exact same watch and I’ve banged it around quite a bit and it remains unmarred. It sounds like your scratch may be a bit deeper. I guess that’s why it’s scratch resistant and not scratch proof. I can definitely understand, though, why it might irritate you enough to flip it.
    www.coldwartourist.com - Exploring ruins & relics of the Cold War

Can the manufacturer fix it or are these hardened cases unrepairable?
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It can be a tough proposition to correct hardened steel cases without sending it back to the factory, based on previous experience....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair View Post
    Can the manufacturer fix it or are these hardened cases unrepairable?
    Well, that's "the rub" with hardened cases as I understand it—it's pretty much impossible to polish without compromising the hardened surface around the scratch. I did check in with Ickler, who basically confirmed that.

Quote Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
    I have the exact same watch and I’ve banged it around quite a bit and it remains unmarred. It sounds like your scratch may be a bit deeper. I guess that’s why it’s scratch resistant and not scratch proof. I can definitely understand, though, why it might irritate you enough to flip it.
    Yeah! I was so keen to get my hands on one I think I may have rushed in. Only hope I get over it with time, because it really is a great watch, as you'll know. Otherwise, hopefully there's somebody out there less OCD than me who'll scoop it up.

Dude it’s a scratch. Get over it. Shouldn’t have bought it if it’s gonna bother you this much.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Dude it’s a scratch. Get over it. Shouldn’t have bought it if it’s gonna bother you this much.
    Helps.

Thread Information