Suggestion to replace Hanhart Pioneer One Grey Dial?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Suggestion to replace Hanhart Pioneer One Grey Dial?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestion to replace Hanhart Pioneer One Grey Dial?

So earlier this year I bought a grey dial Hanhart Pioneer One. It was my first German watch and I loved the look of it, the grey dial and the bezel.

At 42mm though I’m just finding it too uncomfortable and the crown digs into the back of my wrist.

If I want to replace it with another German watch, at a similar price point and style but 39-40mm, does such a watch exist? Doesn’t have to be a grey dial but preferably not black or white either. Preferably grey, dark green or dark blue.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Suggestion to replace Hanhart Pioneer One Grey Dial?

Stowa Flieger Grey 40mm.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I quite like the look of the Damasko DA20 which is also 40mm and comes with a sand colour dial. I just don't want white or black.

I really don't know too much about Damasko. If I replace my Hanhart how does Damasko compare with the likes of Hanhart, Stowa, Tourby, Limes from a quality, heritage and customer service perspective?

My Pioneer One is my first and only German watch and if I sell it, I want to keep a German watch in my collection.

Thanks

Name:  DA-20_Schatten.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  92.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually I think the Stowa Flieger 40mm Grey Limited is nicer.

I really don't know too much about Damasko. If I replace my Hanhart how does Damasko compare with the likes of Hanhart, Stowa, Tourby, Limes from a quality, heritage and customer service perspective?
    Feel free to flick through our Damasko Uhren Forum and form your opinion yourself. From a technical point of view Damasko watches are superior to those you mentioned. An AD puts it that way and there‘s noting to add, imho.

The DA20 Vintage is based on the classic DA36, which is trimmed to “old” by a new design. DAMASKO deliberately quotes “the good old time” and interprets this as a quality-characteristic and cachet. The design of the DA20 pours with its natural tones and small details an individual charm. The sand-colored dial depicts a smooth inherently consistent contrast to the dark-brown shining indices and numbers. The brown flat-colored hands top off the retro style

The watch is powered by the tried and tested ETA2836-2 which is fine tuned and tested by Damasko to high precision.

The watch case is made in-house by Damasko and features the industry's toughest material yet. The material is called "ice-hardened, nickel-free stainles steel". What is so unique about this steel is that they are absolutely nickel-free, offer a good corrosion resistance, and can be tempered up to 64 HRC/800Vickers which is four times the hardness of every other steel currently used in the watch industry. And this ice-hardened steel is used for the entire case, crown and pushers.

While other manufacturers choose to harden the surface of 316L (1.4435) or 1.4301 up to 1200 Vickers by diffusing carbon into the top layers of the steel, there is no way to temper the material. Due to the austenitic structure of the alloy it is impossible to make sure that that steel remains its hardness throughout the body.

Various tests have proved that this kind of surface treatment is not suitable for our purposes because it only hardens the top layer of the metal. This leads to the so-called eggshell effect. We were able to dent and scratch the “hardened” surface with an ordinary pair of tweezers (which are normally made from spring steel) because the material underneath the hard layer was not able to withstand the pressure.

The crown system is also another patent of Damasko. After extensive research Damasko developed a decoupling screw-down crown which is constructed according to standards derived from mechanical engineering. The use of a hex bolt with 2mm width across flats and the fact that the entire crown, including shaft, thread etc. is made from our patented hardened steel (60-62 HRC) results in a longevity which is second to none.

All gaskets of the new crown system are made of Viton™, a material with high chemical and mechanical resistance which is superior to every other gasket material (Nitril etc.) currently used in wrist watches.

Crownis also equipped with our patented lubrication cell which ensures a smooth action and lubricates the shaft and the gasket. The tube of the crown is according to industrial engineering, screwed into the case using a special key. Almost every other watch manufacturer makes use of an inferior press fit tube.

Yet another Patent found in this watch is the Gasket system. The new gasket system overcomes the common problem of moisture and dust ingress during the operation of the crown and pushers.

Every Damasko watch features an important technical detail which is not visible at first sight but has a major influence on its accuracy under harsh conditions – the anti-magnetic cage. Only very few mechanical pilot’s watches are equipped with this feature.

The unique inner case consists of the dial, the movement retaining ring, and a second back. These parts are made of a special material with anti-magnetic characteristics which is able to withstand magnetic fields with a strength up to 80,000 A/m. They are machined with maximum precision to ensure an exact fit and to prevent the escapement from being magnetically charged.

Mine on different straps, versatile I‘d say.

Name:  B9E0CFC0-127E-4D57-8D3C-FB2BDAF90B1E.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  888.8 KB

Name:  669C8568-6EE7-4A35-9D89-CEB3D16BA67F.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  824.6 KB

Name:  1E2A67D8-5D90-425D-A2A8-B7DBAB2DE5CD.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  120.3 KB
    Fergfour likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks Mike but is there anyone of the forum who really understands the finer detail?

Just kidding, wow thanks for all the info!

Interesting that you say the quality is superior to the others I mentioned so presume that includes the Stowa. A little surprising as the DA20 and Stowa Flieger 40 Grey Limited are at similar price points. Maybe that’s because there are just 100.

When you say the steel is 4 times stronger than any other watch steel, does that include Sinn’s tegimented offerings?

I will certainly take a look at the Damasko forum. As I mentioned I don’t know too much about them and wasn’t aware there was one.

The use of a hex bolt with 2mm width across flats and the fact that the entire crown, including shaft, thread etc. is made from our patented hardened steel (60-62 HRC) results in a longevity which is second to none.

Our patented hardened steel...
    Our forum...

Are you part of Damasko Mike?
    Elmero likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman99 View Post
    The use of a hex bolt with 2mm width across flats and the fact that the entire crown, including shaft, thread etc. is made from our patented hardened steel (60-62 HRC) results in a longevity which is second to none.

Our patented hardened steel...
    Our forum...

Are you part of Damasko Mike?
    I am moderating the Official Damasko Forum, the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum, the Official Nautische Instrumente Mühle Glashütte Forum, the Official Laco Forum and the German Watches Forum. I am not part of Gnomon watches (quote is from Gnomon’s web site), I am part of Watchuseek for almost two decades and I just answered a question of yours.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Tegimenting or kolsterizing (https://www.bodycote.com/kolsterising/ ) is a surface hardening of austenitic stainless steel, ice-hardening hardens a martensitic steel through and through. Different steels, different hardening processes.

Sinn‘s surface hardened (tegimented) stainless steel is 1200 HV, Sinn‘s tegimented U-boat steel is 1500 HV.
    Damasko‘s (through and through) ice hardened cases are 760 HV, Damasko‘s surface hardened submarine steel is 1500 HV.

Hope this helps. Here on WUS you will find a lot of further and more in-depth information, just do a search.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Damasko's are extremely well built, one could say overbuilt. I love my DA36 and I'm disappointed in myself for not getting one until recently. Another German brand that doesn't seem to be mentioned as much as Damasko, Sinn, or Stowa is Archimede. Their Outdoor Protect might be a good option for you at about 39mm. It too has a hardened case (I haven't read up on the details on how their process differs from Damasko or Sinn). Full disclosure I bought and recently sold the larger 41mm Outdoor as I felt it looked a touch too large on me, but the quality was excellent, ymmv though on what works better for you a 39mm vs a 41mm.

You mentioned green or blue (they also have a tan/sand, red, and fully lumed dial as well)

Name:  tempua8239b-a3-1-hU5CyIQ6D1Ci9L.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  46.9 KBName:  tempua8239b-a-olive-ff_3qBUiJO1JnyoA2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  41.4 KB
    Elmero and watchcrank like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information