Tale of the Tourby
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rationaltime
  • 1 Post By heb

Thread: Tale of the Tourby

I received my 45mm Tourby dark blue pilot a few weeks ago and it’s a pretty damn good watch!

I asked for a chronometer grade 2824.2 but the paperwork stated “Extra” Top Grade.

Nonetheless, I’m getting -/+5 seconds a day accuracy which is better then my in-house blue Tudor Pelagos!

The real sapphire glass is beautiful including the large onion crown, steel case, and electroplated blue radiant dial. All of which are made in Germany.

Swiss rhodium hour and minute hands mark the time with a requested thermally blued tip second hand.

It’s slightly overpriced I feel at $1900 but nothing is kept in stock and made to order. The customs dutie was around $50 from FedEx and I received it overnight.

I love this watch, but why?

Because of the clean symmetrical dial and quality per price ratio.

It’s so accurate as well.

This model though, has lightly painted Tritec C3 lume, which is extremely evenly painted and glows well, but fades shortly.

According to Tourby, this dark blue pilot is considered an elegant piece, whereas the military and vintage pilot timepieces have heavier, longer lasting lume.

I might have a relume done by a professional in the U.S. because I like crazy bright long lasting lume.

Still, it glows star pleasently with light green Tritec material.

I thought about a blue face Stowa pilot but nothing was available and the 42mm Laco blue dial flieger was a tad too small with its straight lugs seeming too pointy.

I actually tried on a blue IWC Big Pilot on Madison Avenue in Manhattan but preferred the clean symmetry of this dial.

I think I will get a preowned Zenith blue face dial from Chrono24 next, but I’ll keep this one.

All the current Tourby owners I contacted had nothing but good things to say. With so few second hand models for sale it’s a unique non-historical piece you can’t find many places.

The shock resistance and anti-magnetism are according to the German flieger standards.

It’s a good watch, period.

The strap is custom made by Jean Rousseau based on my design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Fred7777; May 7th, 2018 at 07:19. Reason: Grammatical

The pics I uploaded in the intial post says their blocked and I don’t know why I can’t see them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Correction- both my Tudor Pelagos and Tourby dark blue pilot with “Extra” Top Grade movement are averaging -/+5 seconds a day.

Sometimes the Pelagos lags behind or races forward 2-3 more seconds daily but the Tourby is slightly better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: Tale of the Tourby

The dial and crystal look really good together. I think you won't find a
    crystal like that on most other watches of similar style.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    flyingpicasso likes this.

That is a great piece. I have had a few Tourby’s and their quality is very high and their customer service excellent. My original Lawless Diver is one of the pieces in my collection which is immune to flipping. I even put a new case on it when my wife scratched the crystal with her diamond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice piece! The crown is stunning, is that the standard crown or did you pay up for a custom addition?

heb

When you say +/- 5 seconds per day, I take that to mean -5 s/d one day and +5 s/d the next. That's a rate stability delta of 10 seconds, that sucks. Are you sure you mean that?

heb
    whineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred7777 View Post
    I received my 45mm Tourby dark blue pilot a few weeks ago and it’s a pretty damn good watch!

I asked for a chronometer grade 2824.2 but the paperwork stated “Extra” Top Grade.

Nonetheless, I’m getting -/+5 seconds a day accuracy which is better then my in-house blue Tudor Pelagos!

The real sapphire glass is beautiful including the large onion crown, steel case, and electroplated blue radiant dial. All of which are made in Germany.

Swiss rhodium hour and minute hands mark the time with a requested thermally blued tip second hand.

It’s slightly overpriced I feel at $1900 but nothing is kept in stock and made to order. The customs dutie was around $50 from FedEx and I received it overnight.

I love this watch, but why?

Because of the clean symmetrical dial and quality per price ratio.

It’s so accurate as well.

This model though, has lightly painted Tritec C3 lume, which is extremely evenly painted and glows well, but fades shortly.

According to Tourby, this dark blue pilot is considered an elegant piece, whereas the military and vintage pilot timepieces have heavier, longer lasting lume.

I might have a relume done by a professional in the U.S. because I like crazy bright long lasting lume.

Still, it glows star pleasently with light green Tritec material.

I thought about a blue face Stowa pilot but nothing was available and the 42mm Laco blue dial flieger was a tad too small with its straight lugs seeming too pointy.

I actually tried on a blue IWC Big Pilot on Madison Avenue in Manhattan but preferred the clean symmetry of this dial.

I think I will get a preowned Zenith blue face dial from Chrono24 next, but I’ll keep this one.

All the current Tourby owners I contacted had nothing but good things to say. With so few second hand models for sale it’s a unique non-historical piece you can’t find many places.

The shock resistance and anti-magnetism are according to the German flieger standards.

It’s a good watch, period.

The strap is custom made by Jean Rousseau based on my design.
    Beautiful watch, OP, glad you are liking it. That dial is something special.

AFAIK, ETA offers the 2824-2 in only the following four grades - standard, elabore, top and chronometer ( ETA Caliber 2824-2 Watch Movement | CaliberCorner.com ). Plenty of posts on WUS about this. The difference between top and chronometer is that the latter is COSC is tested, the parts are the same. Tourby can't get a COSC certificate because they are not Swiss. Not sure what "extra top grade means", might be their marketing, might mean they upgraded a component beyond top grade, if that's possible (e.g., a Triovis regulator).

When you say your watch runs +/- 5, are you really seeing that spread? For a top grade that's pretty wide. I've seen standard grade 2836-2's (the day/date variant) regulated by Damasko that run a steady +3 to +5 a day. IMHO, isochronism (constant gain or loss from day to day) is a more important indicator of a well-performing movement than daily accuracy, since the former can be easily regulated. In other words, give me a watch that gains 5 seconds every day over a watch that gains 5 one day, loses 5 the next, averaging zero.
    Last edited by whineboy; May 22nd, 2018 at 02:34.
    Whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Thread Information