WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch mark:Exact.Please help.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  constantin-o-politan 
#1 ·
Hello,
Please, help me estimate watch.
Watch mark: Exact (Hugo Schepperheyn & Co. Schwenningen, Deutschland; registriert am 28.7.1924) the case silver 0,800 test. On the case: 23379N, an engraving similar SE figures precisely:15285, on internal cover Metal, 17P. I will be grateful for any additional information.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I must say that this is rather puzzling. The watch is probably from the twenties or thirties, has full keyless works and a high quality hairspring - and yet the bridge layout and mainspring click system are more reminescent of the Siwss 1880-1900 cylindre escapment watches, e.g.:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&0&2uswk&1002

On the whole, a contradiction in styles. I'd certainly be interested in the movement maker.

Hartmut Richter

#6 ·
Hello Saimon,

It is a neat pocket watch. It is certainly late 20s to 30s. I think it has been cased and marketed by Hugo Schepperheyn & Co. This sort of watch trading is not unusual , which is called "contract watch", and it is an old practice which goes back to 19th century or earlier. Herr H. Schepperheyn, I presume ordered movements to a Swiss company and marketed them in Germany in the depression years. I think the movement is the product of Phenix Watch Company in terms of the style of bridges and balance cock, or calibre in general. This company produced high end watches as well as cheap cylindre movements.
My best regards,
Constantin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.