Watches with hardened steel cases.

Thread: Watches with hardened steel cases.

Watches with hardened steel cases.

I have always admired the solidity and technology behind both Sinn and Damasko watches, in particular the case hardening processes, which to me adds real value to the watch and would really appeal to me.

However these technologies have only been added to tool watches, with my tastes leaning towards more dress/formal styles (Nomos, Stowa Marine/partitio etc).

I feel I could just about get away with a DA36 or perhaps a Sinn 856, although I would have limited opportunities to wear and could probably only justify one in my collection.

Getting to my question, are there any more formal watches available with the benefits of case hardening.
    (I guess you will never get a true dress watch as I guess you cannot create a polished finish?)
    Nomos Orion Weiss
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual- Rhodium
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Damasko DC66
    Damasko DSub1
    Damasko DS30
    Stowa Partitio Black

Re: Watches with hardened steel cases.

Dievas also produces a hardened case watch, but again, it has a tool watch aesthetic. I think since people look at them as tool watches, equating potential harder usage for them, the hardened process is aimed squarely at these watches.

The only true dress watch I know of with a hardening process available is the Damasko DK12 or DK13. They have a true dress aesthetic and a full in-house movement to boot. $4000, but I think reasonable considering it's impossible to find a hardened dress watch, much less one with a patented in-house movement. None of the Sinn models that are hardened look like a dress watch to my eyes.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; November 3rd, 2013 at 22:48.

Not really a dress watch, but pretty dressy, the relatively rare Corvus Bradley dive watch has an optional sapphire bezel and a hardened case. Somewhat like a retro fifty fathoms with hardened case. I recently sold this one only because the lugs were just a hair too long for my wrist. Relatively slim at 13.3mm and a gorgeous watch.

Additionally, you could get IWW to DLC coat practically any watch for you. But it won't be cheap.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bremont Solo in white?
    Stephen

Bremont Supermarine 500 | Glycine Airman 1953 Vintage | Glycine Eugene Meylan | Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3551.20 | Omega SMP300M 2221.80

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post
    I have always admired the solidity and technology behind both Sinn and Damasko watches, in particular the case hardening processes, which to me adds real value to the watch and would really appeal to me.

However these technologies have only been added to tool watches, with my tastes leaning towards more dress/formal styles (Nomos, Stowa Marine/partitio etc).

I feel I could just about get away with a DA36 or perhaps a Sinn 856, although I would have limited opportunities to wear and could probably only justify one in my collection.

Getting to my question, are there any more formal watches available with the benefits of case hardening.
    (I guess you will never get a true dress watch as I guess you cannot create a polished finish?)
    Damasko watch cases are not "case" hardened. Some may consider it a minor
    distinction, but Damasko makes a point of describing their through hardened
    process (Gehäuse | Damasko). I think a customer seeking
    a hardened watch case would assign a high weight to this feature.

Hardened materials can be polished. Though polishing operations would
    be performed prior to a surface hardening process, the Damasko process
    would allow a post hardening polish. The Sinn model 902 is an example
    of a watch with a Tegimented ® case with a polished surface. There
    is an Audi Design version in the same case.

While a "dress watch" is not defined by polished surfaces, in my opinion,
    the appeal is certainly in the eye of the beholder. Watches with ceramic
    cases or surface coatings could also be considered.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Thread Information