By way of example ... Guinand & made in Germany
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: By way of example ... Guinand & made in Germany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question By way of example ... Guinand & made in Germany

Curious, is there significance to some of Guinand’s watches saying “Frankfurt am Main” on the dial while others say “Made in Germany “? But not both designations on any one watch face that I see.

I believe some other German brands do this too (Sinn) perhaps.
    Zzyzx likes this.

Re: By way of example ... Guinand & made in Germany

To rephrase:

Is the use of Frankfurt am Main a way to gain traction & German credibility much as Glashütte has done?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The use of "Hergestellt in Deutschland" and not "Made in Germany" most likely is an expression of a new self-image. It dissolves from the well-known English „Made in Germany“ and now - by the use of native language - underlines/emphasizes that it is a German product. Outside the watch world „Hergestellt in Deutschland“ is being used by a lot of manufacturers. When talking about the design of the Turbulenz I advised Dekla to use this term to emphasize on the German origin by writing in „Deutsch“ and they did. „Hergestellt in Deutschland“ simply corresponds to a new zeitgeist and transports a specific philosophy. Printed at 6 „Hergestellt in Deutschland“ looks a tad more balanced, 11 letters - 2 letters - 11 letters compared to „Made in Germany“.
    I do not think that „Frankfurt am Main“ can hold a candle to „Made in Glashütte“ and I do not think that this was the intention of Sinn Uhren (producing their cases in Glashütte, SUG, btw) and Guinand. Frankfurt is just a designation of origin, imho. Of course and rhis needs to be mentioned, for Frankfurt Helmut Sinn was an important figure especially as an entrepreneur. He founded „Sinn Spezialuhren zu Frankfurt“ in 1961 and was always connected to Mainhattan.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As always, insightful Mike! Appreciate the perspective of an insider. And I do wholeheartedly agree and would prefer "Hergestellt in Deutschland" on the dial and case back of a watch.

This forum has been immensely valuable to me and at the same time fans a flame. The pragmatic side of me is always leery of ad copy hype (or dial printing). I wish German watch makers were more transparent. I do appreciate/applaud the new upstart (Nimbus) Mike profiled a day or two ago, indicating what watch components come from where in Germany (and most very locally). For me, the sum of the parts & where birthed at least equal the whole, if not more!

I'm a detail guy (accountant/pilot/competition shooter etc.) and value precise and finely crafted instruments. In my mind, this usually correlates well with the Germans; and is one reason my competition Trap shotgun is a Blaser F3 Lux! Design, innovation, form, function and beauty coalesce. Ok, point taken you say, now back to my example- Guinand. Some dials say "made in Germany" and some don't. Is the "Frankfurt am Main" a mere decoy? Are some of their watches assembled there or all of them? Of those that are, other than movements, what is the percentage of German made parts comprising them (not lust brokered through German Co's out of Country)? Unlike Glashutte standard, we are mostly left guessing. And yes, this annoys me when spending upward of thousands of dollars on a time piece. It seems like there is a lot of smoke and mirrors to navigate in the German watch world.

Now don't get me wrong, my issue isn't solely with Guinand. I have a very keen interest in Guinand and their Panda Duograph and close to ordering it. And they have demonstrated to me (promptly) that they are quite willing to do some customization work and at no up-charge. But, I struggle to understand why all their watches don't say "Made in Germany" on the dial while boasting of Frankfurt at the same time. Just makes me suspicious of pedigree. It should not be this difficult to become an informed consumer.

My old Hanhart 1939 Replika has "Hergestellt in Deutschland" on both case backs.

Name:  hanhart_back2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  Hanhart_back.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  170.7 KB
    DSDickson and Deacfan like this.

Yes, a beautiful sight.
    I take it that is the Pioneer mk II? I’m thinking of it or the TachyTele in white face.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartersawn View Post
    My old Hanhart 1939 Replika has "Hergestellt in Deutschland" on both case backs.

Name:  hanhart_back2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  Hanhart_back.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  170.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DSDickson View Post
    Yes, a beautiful sight.
    I take it that is the Pioneer mk II? I’m thinking of it or the TachyTele in white face.
    This is the older 1939 re-issue made with a modified manual winding 7760. I think it preceded the Pioneer name. They made 2500 without the red button/bezel marker and 250 with the red button and bezel marker. I also have the manual winding Tachy-Tele. It's a bit foolish to own two watches so similar but this hobby has never really made sense for me and I love both watches. If I can ever find a manual winding Hanhart Admiral (the white dial chrono) at a reasonable price I'll buy it as well.

Name:  hanhart_012_1024.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  tachy_003_1024.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  183.7 KB
    pdsf likes this.

Thanks for sharing Quartersawn. Terrific Hanharts you have!

If their current offerings had handwind options, I would surely choose it over the autos.
    Quartersawn likes this.

My musings put to rest!

Herr Klueh was most gracious in his personal reply to my inquiry of Guinand at large, concerning this thread. He addressed all my questions with humility, openness and clarity.

I am very impressed with the man! Apparently, German Businessmen do things differently, rising to the occasion regarding customer service. By contrast, it is extremely unusual to find a USA based CEO with the integrity and passion to speak to a lowly consumer. I am very grateful to Herr Klueh. Compels me, all the more, to order their Panda Duograph!
    Last edited by DSDickson; 8 Hours Ago at 20:26. Reason: clarity of thought & spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DSDickson View Post
    My musings put to rest!

Herr Kluh was most gracious in his personal reply to my inquiry of Guinand at large, concerning this thread. He addressed all my questions with humility, openness and clarity.

I am very impressed with the man! Extremely unusual to find a USA based CEO with the integrity and passion to speak to a lowly consumer. I am very grateful to Herr Kluh. Compels me, all the more, to order their Panda Duograph!
    I have not communcated with Herr Klueh directly but I have had nothing but great experience with his colleague Petra. I also value humility, openness and clarity. He is not "USA based" though. Enjoy your panda duograph! ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information