AR coating long-term durability?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: AR coating long-term durability?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

AR coating long-term durability?

Damasko fans,

I've been really enjoying my new DC56 I picked up a few weeks ago. The watch fits great on the wrist and the blasted case is something special in person. The only aspect of the watch that I'm questioning is the exterior AR coating on the crystal.

After about two weeks of everyday wear (in an office environment), I noticed that the AR coating already picked up a faint hairline scratch and a tiny flea-bite mark. I have no clue how these marks got there and do not remember bumping the watch against anything. The general response to Damasko's AR coating in older threads seems to be a mixed bag. Some people have no scratches/marks after years of use, while others experience the exact opposite. I'm aware that Greg at Watchmann can replace the crystal with an inner-AR only crystal, but I do not want to replace the crystal on an essentially brand new watch. Plus, I enjoy the invisible crystal look and it was one of the reasons why I wanted to purchase a Damasko in the first place (it makes for nice pictures!). I have not had this experience with my Omega SMPc, which shows almost no wear on the coating after about two years.

For those of you Damasko owners with battered crystals, what should I expect after a few months of wear? How about after a few years? Will the on-wrist clarity of the crystal eventually suffer? Any pictures of your scratched up AR would be greatly appreciated (both for future reference and to ease my new-watch OCD), thanks!
    Last edited by Mreal75; 1 Week Ago at 16:22.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:
    SMPc Black, SMP 2254.50 Doxa: Sub 1200T Sharkhunter Seiko: SBBN031 Tuna, SBDC053 62Mas, SRPA21 PADI Turtle, SKX009 Oris: Aquis Blue Hamilton: Khaki Field Mechanical G-Shock: GW7900B-1

Instagram: @the.realwatchman

Re: AR coating long-term durability?

Easy game guys. Always always get the inner AR only.

To this day I don't understand why the company that makes virtually indestructible watches provides 2-sided AR as the default option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mreal75 View Post
    Damasko fans,

I've been really enjoying my new DC56 I picked up a few weeks ago. The watch fits great on the wrist and the blasted case is something special in person. The only aspect of the watch that I'm questioning is the exterior AR coating on the crystal.

After about two weeks of everyday wear (in an office environment), I noticed that the AR coating already picked up a faint hairline scratch and a tiny flea-bite mark. I have no clue how these marks got there and do not remember bumping the watch against anything. The general response to Damasko's AR coating in older threads seems to be a mixed bag. Some people have no scratches/marks after years of use, while others experience the exact opposite. I'm aware that Greg at Watchmann can replace the crystal with an inner-AR only crystal, but I do not want to replace the crystal on an essentially brand new watch. Plus, I enjoy the invisible crystal look and it was one of the reasons why I wanted to purchase a Damasko in the first place (it makes for nice pictures!). I have not had this experience with my Omega SMPc, which shows almost no wear on the coating after about two years.

For those of you Damasko owners with battered crystals, what should I expect after a few months of wear? How about after a few years? Will the on-wrist clarity of the crystal eventually suffer? Any pictures of your scratched up AR would be greatly appreciated (both for future reference and to ease my new-watch OCD), thanks!
    Your story reads exactly like mine, my DC66 wound up with a tiny imperfection to the AR. I do not recall ever touching it or banging against anything. If I could go back I would order with AR on the inside only.
    Mreal75, noregrets and ldo123 like this.

I've done a search and I saw your responses in those threads. That's why I acknowledged that some people have issues with the coating and some people don't in my OP. Clearly, you would fall into the second camp. I would like to hear from the others that have found their AR coating prone to picking up scratches over time. In those threads you found did you happen to see any pictures of worn AR coatings after a few months/years of wear? I didn't see any but perhaps you picked up on a few
    Last edited by Mreal75; 1 Week Ago at 00:24.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:
    SMPc Black, SMP 2254.50 Doxa: Sub 1200T Sharkhunter Seiko: SBBN031 Tuna, SBDC053 62Mas, SRPA21 PADI Turtle, SKX009 Oris: Aquis Blue Hamilton: Khaki Field Mechanical G-Shock: GW7900B-1

Quote Originally Posted by Palettj View Post
    Your story reads exactly like mine, my DC66 wound up with a tiny imperfection to the AR. I do not recall ever touching it or banging against anything. If I could go back I would order with AR on the inside only.

Good to hear I'm not the only one. Has it affected the clarity of the crystal when the watch is on your wrist?
    Palettj likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:

Quote Originally Posted by Mreal75 View Post
    Good to hear I'm not the only one. Has it affected the clarity of the crystal when the watch is on your wrist?
    No it has not affected the clarity of the crystal, it is not really that noticeable. I just cant unsee it.
    Mreal75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Palettj View Post
    No it has not affected the clarity of the crystal, it is not really that noticeable. I just cant unsee it.
    Thanks for the reply! Good to know, the marks on mine are only visible on an angle or under bright light. I'm the exact same way...watch people are a different breed that few understand
    Palettj likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:

I bought a DS30 with only the inner AR; there are reflections under certain lighting conditions but I'm willing to trade clarity with durability.
    Mreal75 and noregrets like this.

After having seen this picture, I'm pretty sure that when I order, it will be without outer AR.
    Mreal75 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information