DA36 : A year on the wrist
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: DA36 : A year on the wrist

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

DA36 : A year on the wrist

Hello all,

I've had my DA36 now for over 12 months and it's rarely left my wrist. I really like it - it feels like "my watch" - one designed with my tastes and my interest in watches in mind.

Name:  2016-11-06 11.32.10.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  171.6 KB

I bought it direct from Damasko, on the steel bracelet after reading so many positive reports of how amazing the bracelet is. I wore it on the bracelet for the first few months but found it difficult to get a good fit. Sometimes it would be great for a week or two, fitting perfectly using the 2 "extra length" links, and other times it would be too tight. Swapping out the extra length links for normal ones made it tighter (of course) and then adding one more "normal" link (the only option) would make it bigger, but often it was a bit too big. The options for altering the length don't have enough resolution - there's a big step in the sequence of available lengths. I guess obtaining additional "long" links would be the only option. The sooner Damasko come up with an adjustable clasp the better. The bracelet is a fantastic piece of engineering, and if you can get it to fit (as I can perhaps 50% of the time) it's worth the money.

After messing around with trying to get long term comfort with the bracelet I switched to the OEM leather strap, and then to NATOs and also tried Watch Gecko leather pilot strap.

Then I went back to the bracelet which was great for several weeks, and then it wasn't, and then off again round and round the cycle.
    Name:  P2133083.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  221.5 KB
    Name:  da36_snow.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  157.2 KB
    Name:  P2183127.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  216.0 KB

Name:  2017-02-17 18.48.17.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  166.6 KB

I've settled on NATOs now, and I think that's where it'll stay. they have the tool-watch vibe - secure, "waterproof", utilitarian - but there's a lot of choice of styles to keep things interesting, too. And they're inexpensive.

Name:  2017-11-30 09.52.41.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  132.7 KB
    Name:  2017-12-07 16.40.44.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  140.3 KB

I've been tracking the accuracy almost daily since I got it on November 2nd 2016. Initially the rate was around +0.7 s/d for the first month.

The monthly averages for the daily error rate.

Nov 16 : +0.7 s/d
    Dec 16 : +1.2 s/d
    Jan 17 : +1.4 s/d
    Feb 17 : +0.2 s/d
    Mar 17 : +0.3 s/d
    Apr 17 : +0.0 s/d
    May 17 : -1.4 s/d
    Jun 17 : -1.6 s/d
    Jul 17 : -2.6 s/d
    Aug 17 : -2.7 s/d
    Sep 17 : -3.9 s/d
    Oct 17 : -2.6 s/d
    Nov 17 : -3.0 s/d

December 17 so far (10 days) : -2.8 s/d

The rate started off very good - better than I'd expected it to be, and after the first 6 months it dropped a few s/d. It seems to have stabilized now at around -3 s/d. Still "within COSC" limits, but I plan to regulate it myself to nudge it slightly faster. I prefer to gain 1 or 2 seconds a day rather then lose them. I haven't been able to spot any difference in rate by choosing different overnight resting positions, but I'm going to see what my new Timegrapher says about the positional variation, once it arrives.

The DA36 has been worn daily. I'll occasionally wear something else for a few hours - usually a Saturday evening, or perhaps for a day at work I'll wear my SKX007 for old times' sake.

The DA36 still goes back on the wrist the same day. It hasn't been off long enough to run out of power in the last 12+ months.

I keep thinking about another "good" watch - I have dreams of a Rolex Milgaus or Explorer 1 (both very much out of my price range of course, so dreams they'll remain).

Then I remember that the DA36 is a modern, and relatively affordable, version of both of these watches, and it's used now by me as a GADA / tool-watch - just as the Rolexes were in their original incarnations - when they were also relatively affordable. The current Rolex offerings are fancy (and expensive) homages to their original, genuine, tool-watch forebears.

Damasko, to me, is the modern equivalent to the original Swiss tool watches and I can't think of anything (in my price range) that I would swap it for. I still wear other watches from time to time, but I have a strange feeling of being unfaithful while I'm wearing another watch...

Name:  P2133079.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  168.2 KB

Out of focus watch in a 1991 Land Rover Defender 200TDi - a tool watch in its vehicular counterpart.

Cheers,

John

Re: DA36 : A year on the wrist

Great write up! Iím hoping Iíll be able to get a DA36 or 38 this year. You sum up exactly why Iím a fan of Damasko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Johnp_g likes this.

A treatise on the Damasko DA36. Youíve adapted well to it I see. I have similar plans for my month or so old DA37. Bravo!
    Johnp_g and cadomniel like this.
    MIKE

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh - I forgot to mention the only problem I've found:

In 12 months of constant wearing day in day out - and I'm an engineer - it fails to develop any visible patina.... no battle scars ;-(
    oso2276 likes this.

Great write up for a great watch.....

miss mine, and looking more and more to be my first ever rebuy in the new year!
    Johnp_g likes this.
    I have been trying reaallllly hard to keep it below 20, but have just given up now.
    Watches - to many
    Brand - lots

Miss mine too and will be a rebuy in 2018. Will get the one with bracelet. I had a DA 36 Black and it was one of the watches I've kept the longest. I keep coming back to Damasko...
    Johnp_g likes this.
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist: ‚ÄčSeiko SBDC065, Sinn EZM 3f, Sinn 856 UTC, Sinn 356 Flieger II, Damasko DC56, Tudor Black Bay Fifty-eight, Sinn 556 i Blue

Nice write-up. My DA38 is nearing it's 1-year anniversary. It's in rotation but I love it.
    The DA38 is on it's Damasko blue/white stitched leather strap with clasp. It's so comfortable. Would love to try the bracelet but I find it to expensive in comparison to the DA38.
    Johnp_g likes this.

heb

I like your accuracy reporting. Most here wax poetically about some watch they have taken to but very few care about its precision. I think your data points to how a +1 second/day rate or so right out of the box is not necessarily a great thing; it doesn't take long before it's in the "-" range. Nice job.

heb
    Heljestrand and Johnp_g like this.

Very nice review indeed. I also feel the same way on how it can be compared to the initial purpose of the Rolex Explorer 1 or Milgaus. While other watches have come and gone in my collection I cant seem to part with the DA36. I feel like it's part of my identity and makes so much sense to keep! Tough, good looking, interesting and the right size. I sold the bracelet for the same reasons....It would feel perfect at times while others if felt to tight an not enough give that being said I regret selling the bracelet.
    Johnp_g and Killerstraps like this.

Nice write up! Thank you for sharing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information