DK 105 Review
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: DK 105 Review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DK 105 Review

Damasko DK105 review.

After 2 years research for a watch marking important points in my life I finally got a Damasko DK105 blue dial with black aligator strap. To make a long story short this watch had to compete Rolex OP39, Longines Master, Omega Aqua Terra, JLC Master Control, Grand Seiko and a few others.

So why the DK105? Well to begin with I was looking for a 3 hands classic, yet sporty all rounder, a daily beater with possibly in-house movement. Not that an ETA movement would be bad, but for this my grail watch I wanted something more exclusive.

Rolex OP39 was long time a favorite for me (yes I know..."exclusivity", but I really like the design of it), possibly the “Red Grape” but the price and purchase politics as well as the big hype around the Crown discouraged me, and after considering an Omega Aqua Terra I moved to JLC for a Master Control. I wear it on and it looked quite nice, but a little to filigree for me, and, honestly too expensive for what it really is. But I wanted something like that, exclusive and very well made. Now Damasko came into play, as I wear as daily rocker a DA36 since 5 years without any problems, still looks brand new… That’s the benefit of “Ice Hardened” steel from Damasko.

Of course I did know about the DK105 and even DK101 before, but I was not too much a fan of small seconds and hand winding. On an exhibition at my local AD I could wear the DK105 in Anthracite and it looked sooo amazing. From now on I investigated a lot further into the model and especially this awesome movement: Could not believe it as I found out of the specifications, the free sprung balance wheel is similar to what Patek is making, the famous “Gyromax”. Damasko has his very own “Gyromax”, silicon technology and all is done in house by a small family run manufacture (in true sense of the word) in Germany, Regensburg. This is sooo awesome that I decided to pull the trigger as soon as I got the fund. Now I m here with a watch of great technology, awesome finish, awesome movement, awesome case and of an exclusivity that has nothing to envy to the big players like JLC or Patek. It’s the Underdog of watch industry.

I m quite sure in the future watch enthusiasts will honor this, at least I did and don’t care about how much this brand is accepted or recognized. Real enthusiasts will notice and that’s the point. To me, and according to my watchmaker (who does service of several brands, also vintage) this DK105 can easily compete with the big players, on a much more down to earth price point. Talking about steel cases of course.

In short I love it for the high end movement (hand winding is not an issue at all, in fact it’s even easier than automatic to me), the case, the exclusivity of a small, likeable brand and the look, it’s just an awesome hell of a watch!! The sunburst blue dial "explose" in natural light, it makes me a smile in the face each time I look at it and I look alot on it :)
    I include a few pics which I took from Damasko Facebook page, I'm a terrible photographer. I assume Damasko is reading here and if there is any problem with that, let me know and I take the pics off.

What can be done better? Not much on that specific model, maybe a steel bracelet would be cool, that said, it looks already awesome on black alligator or brown leather strap and is confortable after 1-2 days when the stiffness of aligator strap relaxed. Readability is excellent, even in the dead of the night I had no problems to read the time on my sideboard. Some will say it’s a little big for a dress watch, but that’s very subjective. To me it’s also a very sporty watch besides his classic design.

An icon? It's Damaskos one and only “dress watch” and the only one with hand winding caliber H35, so why not call it an icon when it can compete the big players? German perfection so to speak and if I can resume it in two words: Timeless perfection

Last, but not least, Damasko is a very silent and under the radar brand, they make not a lot of noise, nor publicity, the products stands for themselves. Just is that people has to know about, hence this review. Few more AD, well choosen and with trained service watchmakers would be an improvement. I m lucky to have such an AD very close.

Thank you for your attention.
    Name:  dk105-002.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.9 KBName:  DK105-Blau Schwarz.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  413.5 KB

PS: accuracy will be posted later, it’s a little too early after few days. So far its gaining a few secs a day. +10 Secs in 5 days. Pretty good to me so far...
    Last edited by Patrick B.; December 10th, 2019 at 18:25.
    wtma, maniac2003, faiz and 2 others like this.

Re: DK 105 Review

Congratulations!! Wear it in good health. 10 seconds gain in 5 days is excellent. I also find the in-house A-35 movement in my DK15 very accurate, around +2-3spd.
    Patrick B. likes this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Some time ago I switched to a blue strap. The black/blue contrast wasn‘t my cup of tea.

Name:  4A4B2D2D-B977-464E-A0EE-6433B4C61DE4.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  1.98 MB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stunner.

Dre

Congradulations! I had a chance to see the blue dialed DK105 when I traded locally to a fellow WIS for his anthracite dialed DK101. Both dials are stunning. It's truly an exceptional watch, I have a very hard time taking it off whenever I do wear mine!

Beautiful watch. Fine choice.
    I'm sure this will be a watch that will bring joy to you for a long long time.

My DA 38 is great (although I had a movement issue just after the warranty expired). I love the robust looks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 3 met Tapatalk
    Patrick B. likes this.

This is a perfect example of dress/sport, one that you can wear any time, any where, and it will always look really good due to the hardened case. Damasko presents great value and quality finishing (I'm wearing a DA37 right now) and I hope to add an in-house movement one to my collection someday.
    Patrick B. likes this.

[Edit: Congratulations!]

Mine says ‘hi’. Got in August, love it for many of the reasons you gave. Especially the durability.

I’m serial # 76, may I ask what is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whineboy; December 12th, 2019 at 01:21. Reason: Forgot my manners
    Patrick B. likes this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dre View Post
    Congradulations! I had a chance to see the blue dialed DK105 when I traded locally to a fellow WIS for his anthracite dialed DK101. Both dials are stunning. It's truly an exceptional watch, I have a very hard time taking it off whenever I do wear mine!
    Drilled lugs - you lucky man!
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Can all dk105 owners flood this thread with pics? Just want to see more and more!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    whineboy and Psalty like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information