First Damasko on the way through Watchmann. Found my Holy...coffee mug? - Page 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First Damasko on the way through Watchmann. Found my Holy...coffee mug?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: First Damasko on the way through Watchmann. Found my Holy...coffee mug?

Loved my experience from Greg at Watchmann, just got myself a new Da46, love this piece, and he even threw in a tootsie pop!

Made it to the post office with 5 minutes to spare! And I got a tootsie pop too!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  104.0 KB

This thing is amazing! Exactly what I was looking for and seems rock solid.

.....but (because there's always a but), it seems like this particular watch has a bad case of the Valjoux chrono "second hand stutter". If the chrono hand is timing and is heading in the same direction as gravity it jumps and pauses constantly, then smooths out like butter on its way back up. The last THREE chronos I've had with a valjoux 7750 have had this issue, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm that unlucky or this is a really common issue. I've done enough research that I know it doesn't affect the functionality of the watch and won't continue to degrade, but I now have to figure out if I can ignore it enough to enjoy the watch or if it'll constantly bug me. Have to sleep on it tonight.
    uperhemi and Ragl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ofted42 View Post
    The last THREE chronos I've had with a valjoux 7750 have had this issue, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm that unlucky or this is a really common issue. I've done enough research that I know it doesn't affect the functionality of the watch and won't continue to degrade, but I now have to figure out if I can ignore it enough to enjoy the watch or if it'll constantly bug me. Have to sleep on it tonight.
    Contact Greg?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Current 6-watch:
    Hamilton (Medford), Nomos (Tangente 139), Oris (BCPD HB-RAG), Seiko (SKX009 & SRP307), Casio ('Royale')

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I did that a bit ago, but right now I'm leaning toward ignoring it until the first service unless he thinks he can fix it easily. If it would have to go all the way back to Damasko then i can put up with it, the chrono still keeps good time. Overall I love the hell out of this thing so far, truly the perfect everyday watch

They are four very good choices you have made for your collection.

What a beautiful watch you got there!
    Betterthere likes this.

Heard back from Greg, sounds like they can fix it there if I like but it's considered fairly normal. I'll probably wait until it bugs me too much or it needs its first service. Plan on wearing the hell out of it until then, already ordered a handful of watchgecko straps for it. I'll have to do a fashion shoot once they get here.

I also gave the Damest coating its first test today, wasn't paying attention and caught it on a door frame while chasing one of the kids. Not a mark on the damn thing. Color me impressed.

Now I have DS30 and my next item will definitely be DCxx.
    I really like hand at 9 o'clock.
    noregrets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ofted42 View Post
    Morning all,

After years of flipping I decided to finally whittle down the collection to the essentials. Everyone has their criteria, but I wanted to keep it to four watches; the dress watch, the "work" watch, the everyday, and the beater. After lots of waffling 3 of the 4 categories are filled but I was still looking for the perfect "everyday" watch. I had considered some more expensive options but didn't want something I was afraid to bang around as a daily wearer. There were a few things I was looking for:

• Decent water resistance so I could get it wet or swim with it
    • Chronograph (Have three younger kids and giving them a time limit when they get assigned something seems to light a fire under their butts)
    • Common movement that can be easily serviced.
    • Common lug size to allow for strap options
    • GMT if possible
    • Decent size, I have 8" wrists and a 40mm watch looks somewhat small on me. Usually stick to 42-46mm

After looking at many different options (and flipping a few that seemed ideal but weren't), I took another look at Damasko. After reading plenty of reviews and testimonials on here I got that "excited" feeling and realized that this was what I'd been looking for. Considering my criteria there was pretty much one choice,the DC66 with the 1-11 GMT bezel. Since this was my ideal "everyday" watch instead of my perfect "ultimate, someday maybe" watch I'm not sure if you can call it a Holy Grail. Hence the Holy Coffee Mug.

So that brings us to yesterday evening, and the order I placed for Watchmann for a DC66 standard with the 1-11 bezel. It should be here on Saturday, and unless something goes very wrong between now and then I have to say Watchmann has been the BEST experience ordering a watch in all my years of buying. Greg e-mailed me at 5:50 am this morning saying he wanted to confirm the order since Paypal messed up a bit. No problem, sent him an e-mail back confirming. At 8:00 he calls me saying he'd checked their inventory and there was a problem, turns out the standard DC66 was showing in stock but they had a mix up in inventory and they only had the Black version. He immediately offered to give me the black one at the same price, no issues at all.

I'd been going back and forth so went with the Black, should be here Saturday. I also asked about a possible strap change to get one with red stitching and he said he'd check right away and make the change if he could. The response and professionalism from Watchmann has been fantastic, and knowing that you have a US based dealer that will give you good support for such a great watch is icing on the cake. HIGHLY recommend them.

For those interested, this will be the "Fab 4" after the DC66 gets here.

Dress watch - Stowa Marine Original

Attachment 14429855Attachment 14429859

Work watch - Oris Aquis Clipperton

Attachment 14429867

Everyday watch - Damasko DC66 Black

Attachment 14429875

Beater - Seiko 2nd gen Monster, what else could it be?

Attachment 14429877
    That’s an impressive foursome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information