My Custom Damasko Story - DC80 LHD with 12-hr Bezel from the WindUp Watch Shop
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: My Custom Damasko Story - DC80 LHD with 12-hr Bezel from the WindUp Watch Shop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A little backstory: I am an owner of a Sinn EZM 1.1. I saw the announcement of the Damasko DC80 just after placing my order for the EZM 1.1. Great looking watch, but I wanted a Left Hand Drive (LHD) watch, so I passed on it. Fast forward to WindUp NYC in the fall of 2018. I brought my EZM 1.1 with me and went to the WindUp booth to compare it to the DC80.

Wow -- I was impressed with the build quality of the DC80. It was also thinner, which really spoke to me, since I have a 6.75" wrist, and had no date -- something I prefer on such a clean looking dial. So while I was looking at the watch and mentioning how taken I was with it, but was disappointed it wasn't a LHD, James from the WindUp Watch Shop (Worn and Wound) said, "You know, we can totally work with Damasko and get you something custom done."

This isn't something I had considered, but now that I had someone who was passionate and interested in helping try to make that a reality, I decided to take the plunge. I asked James to see if they could make the following changes:

1. Make the watch LHD
    2. Drilled lugs
    3. 12-hr bezel

You see, I never personally liked having a countdown bezel. I don't mind a standard timing bezel, but in the case of a central hand chronograph, I knew that I'd get a lot more use out of a 12-hour bezel, both as a second timezone and also for timing events longer than an hour.

After some back and forth with Damasko (via James), I found out that they could do all of my requests except drilled lugs. Even though in take wanted drilled lugs, I decided to go ahead and do it, and asked them to add a bracelet as well, as I'd heard good things about them.

After we agreed on the design (late January 2019), payment was made, and Damasko quoted 3 months to get the watch done. That seemed reasonable to me, since I figured they were gearing up for new releases and production for the big watch shows. It just meant three months of waiting for me. Damasko was very accurate with their estimate, and James from WindUp communicated to me regularly with updates on the timeline.

So, what do I think of the watch? I love it. The only thing I would change is to get the drilled lugs I wanted originally, but I'll compromise because I love the bracelet on this watch so much. What does that mean for my other watches? Is anyone interested in a very lightly used EZM 1.1?

Many thanks to James and the WindUp Watch Shop and to Damasko for making this watch a reality. Wish I could have thanked Damasko in person at WindUp SF last week, but I couldn't make it there.

Re: My Custom Damasko Story - DC80 LHD with 12-hr Bezel from the WindUp Watch Shop

Congrats, watch a beautiful watch. Wear it in good health.

I had the chance of checking the watch out at SF Wind^Up, while wearing my SINN EZM1.1. I do have to say the overall quality feels comparable if not better than my EZM1.1. The execution of the small details is better on DC80, details like the alignment of indices, the sharpness of the printing, and the snappy feel of the bezel rotation. If this DC80 is indicative of the Damasko quality, my next watch will surely be a Damasko.
    trhall, noregrets and fenian like this.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Re: My Custom Damasko Story - DC80 LHD with 12-hr Bezel from the WindUp Watch Shop

Beautiful...congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    trhall likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ten13th View Post
    I do have to say the overall quality feels comparable if not better than my EZM1.1. The execution of the small details is better on DC80, details like the alignment of indices, the sharpness of the printing, and the snappy feel of the bezel rotation. If this DC80 is indicative of the Damasko quality, my next watch will surely be a Damasko.
    Good points! It's really interesting to compare them side-by-side.

I forgot to mention that the pushers and the crown action are particularly crisp and precise. Impressive.

I look forward to your thoughts if you do end up with a Damasko in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by noregrets View Post
    Beautiful...congrats!
    Thank you! I'm really pleased with it!

Drilled lugs look ugly on the DC80 case.
    But big gratulations,i have also both watches.
    But my Sinn is second time in service (minutes dosent counts).
    My Damasko(s) never ever any problems.....
    trhall likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Great story and great watch. Congrats on your DC80.
    trhall likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Congrats!!
    It’s a really awesome chronograph, totally looks unique with the left crown. I never thought Damasko would go that far with customization.
    trhall likes this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1 PRO TREK PRT-4000T-7A PRT-4000T-7B
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006

JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

Wow, that’s really cool. Do the chronograph functions swap places in a left hand orientation? In other words, does the lower pusher start and stop the timer and the upper resets to zero? If so, I guess all they really do is install the dial 180 degrees out and use the optional 1-12 bezel. Thanks for posting this.
    trhall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdustercc View Post
    Wow, that’s really cool. Do the chronograph functions swap places in a left hand orientation? In other words, does the lower pusher start and stop the timer and the upper resets to zero? If so, I guess all they really do is install the dial 180 degrees out and use the optional 1-12 bezel. Thanks for posting this.
    Correct. Same thing with the EZM 1.1. So I was hopeful they would do the design. Luckily, they agreed to it.

Not sure what all had to go into the change but apparently they also did work on the dial. Maybe underneath on how it mounts when rotated 180 degrees?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information