My ramblings about my new Damasko DA44
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My ramblings about my new Damasko DA44

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My ramblings about my new Damasko DA44

I’ve had this bad boy a week now and figured I’d post a few thoughts on it. I think I've worn about 6-7 hours every day since I got it last Wednesday.

I am so glad I sold my Sinn 856 UTC and got this. It’s much more my style and the case color is more versatile I think. I absolutely love the look of the 12 hour bezel and bezel action. I was a bit concerned it would add too much weight and size over the DA34, but I feel like the bezel really gives the watch more visual interest and wrist presence. I use it to track west coast time since I have a few people that work for me out there and I find the 12 hour more user friendly than a GMT. The bezel teeth might be my favorite part of the whole watch and I love how prominent they are against the deep black of the bezel insert.

Speaking of size, these were my measurements:
    75grams - watch head only
    Height: 12.3mm
    48mm lug to lug
    Bezel: 41.3mm including the bezel teeth, 40.1mm not including teeth
    Case: 40mm

The watch overall has a very rugged look and feel, but the lines and details are so well done and precise. The attention to detail and individual involvement in the manufacturing process is evident. Speaking of that, I love the fact that they regulate them in-house.

My timing for the first few days was about +3spd, but the past 3 days it’s been about +1.5spd, with resting position having very little impact.

I was a little skeptical of the stock leather strap in pictures, but I really like it. The leather is super soft and supple, and the strap is very pliable and comfortable on the wrist. I went with the red and white stripe instead of straight red just out of preference. I’ll probably wear it on the leather in the winter, but for now I have it on a tropic rubber strap from Watchgecko. I also have a black/grey “Sailcloth” polyurethane strap coming from them. It’ll be on those 2 straps during “sweating” weather. One aspect I am a bit bummed about is that the size and heft of this watch makes it a bit odd looking on my wrist on my Erika’s Original MN straps, but that’s fine.

Something I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned about these is the positioning of the drilled through lug holes. They are quite close to the case, so the end of straps will rub slightly on the case (no problem connecting a NATO or similar strap though). Also, the lugs curve down and the holes are quite low on the lugs (see pictures), so straps connect fairly low and close to the bottom of the watch. Because of the positioning of the holes I feel like it makes the case appear thicker than it is and appear to sit a bit higher on the wrist than other watches of similar size. I think this location is consistent across the DAxx lines, but not positive on that.

I bought this through Watchmann and the whole experience was fantastic. He answered all my questions before I ordered and swapped out the strap for me no problem. Bought it on a Monday and it arrived at my door Wednesday afternoon. I can’t recommend Greg enough.

So those are my rambling thoughts on this fantastic watch. I think I may have found my 3rd keeper to go with my2254.50 Omega SMP and Hamilton Jazzmaster. I’m that happy with it.

On to the crappy pictures:

tiki5698, WatchMann, Ragl and 8 others like this.

Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
    Chr.Ward Trident Pro C60 GMT
    Damasko DA44
    G-Shock G2900-1A

Re: My ramblings about my new Damasko DA44

I like the look on the tropic. Can you post a pic on the erica's strap. I have been thinking about getting one but would like to see how it looks.

Thanks

One thing I forgot to mention is I am also enjoying the Damasko sound. Clearly hearing the ticking of the movement on occasion was a bit weird at first, and its odd that the conditions for hearing it are hard to reproduce, but I've grown to like it. The joys of Damasko ownership. Sort of like the offset name and day/date. It's awesome and unique! And so is the day/date changing crisply at almost exactly midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by pherret View Post
    I like the look on the tropic. Can you post a pic on the erica's strap. I have been thinking about getting one but would like to see how it looks.

Thanks
    I'll see what I can do later.
    Last edited by Rice and Gravy; 1 Week Ago at 17:43.
    noregrets and Weetabix like this.

Damasko DA44
    G-Shock G2900-1A

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats, a DA45 w/12-hour bezel is part of my regular rotation.
    Rice and Gravy likes this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Great watch (of course).
    Great writeup.
    Great WUS username!
    Great AD (not really news to any of us regulars here)!

I have a DA46 and every time I wear it I'm struck by how clean and well-designed it is. Same for the DA44 of course. Enjoy!
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Nice piece! Congratulations! I'm three weeks in with my first Damasko and love it!
    Rice and Gravy and noregrets like this.
    ​Brian

Reading that makes me miss my DA45. You're dead-on describing the bezel and it's presence.
    Rice and Gravy likes this.

Congrats.
    I also like wearing my ds30 on tropic.
    Lug holes are close on this one too so nato straps wont go through and straps rub.
    I am waiting on a da46 and was hoping it had more clearance but I guess not, oh well at least lugs are drilled and its easy to remove spring bars.
    Love your da44 but it was too similar to ds30 otherwise I would have gone the same route.

Rice and Gravy and noregrets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pherret View Post
    Can you post a pic on the erica's strap. I have been thinking about getting one but would like to see how it looks.

Thanks

Here are a few pictures. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't feel or look right to me. For my wrist I prefer this watch on a strap that curves the wrist instead of something that drops straight down from the lugs.

Damasko DA44
    G-Shock G2900-1A

My DA47 on Uncle Seiko tropic rubber.....great strapName:  73A36354-D572-47EC-B76D-455241BE33EC.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  688.7 KB
    Strap gives a cool vintage vibe, have one on my Sinn as well....Name:  FAFEFD58-5E65-4F62-8960-4FA90B037900.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  1.54 MB
    Divers - Omega, Seiko, Ball, Sinn, Panerai, Muhle Glashutte, Tudor.
    Non-divers - Bremont, Zenith, Damasko, Nomos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information