Why I choose Damasko upon Rolex, JLC, Omega and TAG Heuer.
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why I choose Damasko upon Rolex, JLC, Omega and TAG Heuer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why I choose Damasko upon Rolex, JLC, Omega and TAG Heuer.

Before starting this, I want to clarify that all above brands and models are absolutely great and stunning. No doubt about that and choosing one out of these upon another is very subjective.

Research criteria was: 3 hands watch with manufacture caliber, simple but effective. A timeless sporty dress watch. Not too sporty, not too dressy and very good readability as my eyes getting older.

First I had to determinate which is my favorite brand. And that’s not easy at all. I have a lot of sympathy for JLC and Omega. Rolex is the strongest one and TAG give a lot of “wrist presence” for the bucks. That said, Damasko, as a very small german manufacture (in true sense of the word), independant and family owned is something very special these days. When you consider that they produce on their manufacture caliber models up to 90 percent of a watch themselves! Other micro-brands are "shoping" in far-east for exemple and I suspect even few swiss brands doing the same...

For very long time Rolex was my favorite with the OP39 in blue or red. Especially the “red grape” flashes out. Now there is a problem. It’s a Rolex! I mean for me there was 2 problems. First the sell out and not easy at all to get one, not even to try one out and secondly, well a Rolex is maybe too pretentious for a guy coming from the working class. And I had to save another 2 years or more to afford it…

So I looked at Omega, as my father is big fan of this brand and I like the Aqua Terra collection very much. OK I tried it on and it looked great, great movement as well, but don’t ask me why, it makes not “click” in the head. I was afraid to spend more than 4000 bucks for a nice watch but felled not really worth the price. And in all honesty, the James Bond hype around the brand and especially the Seamaster gets me off.

Next was JLC Master Control Date. A nice brand with huge history. The Master control fitted perfectly into my search criteria and once again after putting on, it looked nice but nothing more. OK you have then a JLC with their gorgerous movements and a brand history second to none, but still, I had the impression just buying into the brand if you know what I mean. And if you "deal" with LVMH customer service, they are not even able to provide you a paper catalogue. I asked 3x and had a chat with one guy. I expected in Switzerland (Le Sentier), but no, it was Amsterdam...What happens when the watch needs a service? Or worse a warranty claim? Remember we are talking about a watch 5000 €+. With better marketing and customer relation, who knows maybe there was a chance to convince me. I still have alot of respect for JLC as brand and manufacturer. For LVMH I have no words... Propably I had to move to Le Sentier to get well served. And price point was too much. Lets says 3500 € as a maximum I would spend on this nice watch.

Finally I remembered Damasko for the DK105. I own since years a DA36 and I love it. You may ask why not at first glance? Well this was about the small second. I was not a fan at all about it, I like big seconds much more, at least I thought so. My AD of Damasko had a show in his shop so I went there to put in on. And NOW it made “CLICK”. I wanted that watch and the good thing is: its half price of a Rolex or JLC so I could afford it quickly for X-mass last year. And now I’m into the small but fine DK105 owner club. I can tell you this particular watch has it all to compete the big players. Maybe not yet the prestige of JLC or Omega, this will come on day, I’m sure about that. It’s like Konrad Damasko says: an honest genuine German product. As for Rolex, I want to quote JC Biver: “If you want compete Rolex, It’s like watching into the sun without sunglasses. You get blinded and cannot see anymore where you are and what you do. It’s good to have them, but you cannot compete them”.

BTW, TAG Heuer was out in this particular search as I wanted a manufacture caliber on a 3 hands watch. Maybe later I will consider an Aquaracer and this one will compete with a Damasko DSUB2 but this will be another story in the future.

Another competitor, which I don't had on my radar is Grand Seiko. On a bigger price point yes, but I seen live a few GS in their shop after ordering the DK105 and I feel these watches are even a bit better finished, especially polished. Now it’s clear that Damasko with their ice hardened steel case are objectively better on a daily use. I mean there is little chance to get scratches. GS are even more stunning, but how long will this polished case and bracelet stay without scratches? Not sooo long on a daily use.

On lower price point I have that Damasko DA36. It still looks brand new, after 5-6 years of nearly daily use. Perfect working horse, perfect readability and built like a german panzer. This should be the modern James Bond watch. With steel bracelet its literally a weapon haha.

In my collection I have also a Breitling Chronomat which I own since 20 years. I still like it, but guess what watches I wear more often?

Thank you for your attention and comments are welcome. Cheers, Patrick.

Re: Why I choose Damasko upon Rolex, JLC, Omega and TAG Heuer.

Great post Patrick, thank you. I have considered buying a Damasko DK105 many times, though I've never seen one is person of course (very few AD showrooms in the USA). I like the design, but sometimes wonder if it maybe too 'plain'? I like that it can be somewhat dressy but still has lots of lume. I also like the size and the hw inhouse movement. Did you get the black, blue, or anthracite dial?

I agree that the DA36 is a workhorse (BTW, My Grandfather had Belgians on his farm when I was a little boy!) Very accurate,tough and readable. Classic German workmanship. Enjoy your new Damasko! Best, Johnny

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jerseywatchman View Post
    Did you get the black, blue, or anthracite dial?
    Blue, I believe, as Patrick stated in his DK 105 Review.
    Gregory

yes the blue one. Should upload a picture. In US, maybe ask Watchmann. I heard only good things from him.

Thanks, is the lume long lasting?

JW, Patrick gets back here now and then, but in the meanwhile I can affirm that the lume lasts all night - if that's what you were asking.
    Gregory

Exactly what I was asking, thank you Psalty! I'm seriously considering the DK105, but also a Cartier Ronde Solo, a Nomos Neomatik Club Sport, and an RGM150. At it's price, the Damasko seemingly has a lot to offer (in-house mov't, great styling, lots of lume, and the dress/sport crossover appeal). It seems your quite please with your 105. Does the black date wheel on a blue dial bother you at all? Also, any advice you or anyone else can offer me regarding my decision concerning the watches I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseywatchman View Post
    Exactly what I was asking, thank you Psalty! I'm seriously considering the DK105, but also a Cartier Ronde Solo, a Nomos Neomatik Club Sport, and an RGM150. At it's price, the Damasko seemingly has a lot to offer (in-house mov't, great styling, lots of lume, and the dress/sport crossover appeal). It seems your quite please with your 105. Does the black date wheel on a blue dial bother you at all? Also, any advice you or anyone else can offer me regarding my decision concerning the watches I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
    Wish I could help you think about the other watches. Perhaps if I were more familiar with them. The only one I react negatively toward is the Cartier, first because I'm not a fashion brand kind of fellow and it bothers me to pay a large chunk of money for brand recognition, and second because the crown would make me uncomfortable even were I in a Tux. If you can rock it, go for it!

The Nomos looks playful, maybe a little too cute for me, lacking the rigor of the DK. I have never seen the RGM before and I see why you like it. Maybe it falls somewhere between the Cartier and the DK? The 6:00 seconds is not quite as interesting (to me) as the DK's at 9:00, but it's nicely done.

I can only give you my impressions, as the hard statistics are all out there, and for you remains the choice of which one moves you more. For me, the DK checks all the boxes. It is a purposefully restrained masculine design carried out with great panache and doesn't seem to need to remind us that a watch is jewelry. The only time you may suspect it is when you take it off and look through the back at the innards; but even there the movement, though beautifully finished, is bone-crushingly German!

And how cool is that slightly domed crystal? With no external AR, it allows enough reflections to make the crystal visible but it defeats the sudden flashes of glare that a flat sapphire produces. The curvature is hard to see but you sense it, and you can feel the swell under your fingers. Pleasing, to say the least! Others have adequately described the continuous and changing interest of the face.

As to the date wheel - I have found that it is easy to become engrossed in photographic detail where in person it doesn't amount to an issue. Not sure what that is - maybe stereo-optic vision? Maybe three dimensional focussing rather than two? But whatever, the dark wheel looks perfect in person. I'm a visually oriented guy - my entire life has pivoted around the visual arts and design. You should ask my wife: when things don't work visually I move everything until it's right. Of course, you may see it differently.

Top that off with the disciplined aspiration of a small, ambitious (in every good sense) family company whose output plays on a world stage, but who keeps digging deeper into the art of watchmaking - I'm sure they are pushing the big boys - and it's a winner.

Perhaps my take is naive and unschooled; in fact I can't imagine that it's not. I think I'll rest. Be glad to hear any responses.
    Gregory

Thank you sir. I definitely like the small seconds at 9 versus 6. Two concerns I failed to mention are the polished bezel, which I fear I'll scratch easily since I wear my watch 24/7. Also, the leather strap, since in the past I have rendered leather straps stained and stinky from east coast humidity and exercise. Yes, I like to wear a watch on runs, long runs, since it allows me to capture the beauty of them in a activity that reduces my stress level and offers me peace. I suppose I could buy a rubber strap or wear a GPS watch. I'm also comparing it to the new style Breitling SO, since I have a line on 2 of them right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information