DC67 - My Apocalyptic Wrist-Tank is Here!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: DC67 - My Apocalyptic Wrist-Tank is Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DC67 - My Apocalyptic Wrist-Tank is Here!

Over three months after purchase, my watch arrived. Damasko had some issues in October which caused delays, but I forgive them. My review in bullet point form as I unbox and adjust the watch:

- The order was a Damasko DC67 with red bip light, red second hand, and custom engraving on the back. I also ordered a key ring because they're nice but mainly for the purpose of scratch testing the hard steel on many surfaces so I know what the watch can handle and what to avoid (how much would you pay for peace of mind?).
    - To add to the ongoing discussion about changes to Damasko watches: this Damasko has no drilled lugs and no "Made in Germany" message on the dial. This watch was ordered in August.
    - Leave it to Greg from Watchmann to over-service by over-taping the box carrying an over-engineered watch, lol. I appreciate the cautiousness Greg, even though UPS could've airdropped it to my roof and it would've been fine. :P
    - A lollipop inside the watch box. How could such a little gesture work so well on me? I'll write this here: Watchmann has given some of the best customer service I've ever received. Greg is quick to reply to any questions I have and I highly recommend him as an authorized dealer. I have zero complaints and no, I wasn't influenced by the lollipop.
    - When the Damasko arrived it was in the process of changing dates. You can see that in the picture. To be safe, I will not touch that crown until the morning.
    - Upon arrival the ice-hardened metal is really cold. I love it!

Name:  2016-12-05 18.17.57.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  120.1 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.35.41.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  152.8 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.39.54.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  153.7 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.40.24.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  138.7 KB

- Okay, I have to say this now. In my 18 months into this hobby, I haven't touched many "expensive" watches. I haven't held any Swiss watch over $500 or Grand Seikos. I do own my new Stowa 40mm flieger watch with limited edition design and it's very impressive. With that in mind, after the WatchBuys event I can tell you that I've tried on heavy-duty pilot watches and dress watches worth up to $10,000. While a few of those watches took my breath away, they all required a few seconds of VERY close inspection to notice the high quality build of the watch. When I opened this Damasko DC67...the toughness and quality of the watch hit me in the face instantly. I made the order in August and months passed by where I wondered if I would really get my money's worth. As crazy as it sounds to spend so much and have doubts, I never had the opportunity to see these in person in NYC. All doubt went out of the window when I saw this thing. OF COURSE I made the perfect choice! I'm not gonna say "this watch is great for what I paid for" or "this watch is pretty neat for a ____." This watch looks and feels like a technical masterpiece. Even after all the Sinns, Ball watches, Oris, G-Shocks, dive watches, and other tough watches I've worn on my wrist, I've never worn anything that felt like this. Those watches all felt like watches. This feels like something stolen out of Area 51 and if they want it back they can take it off my cold, dead hands. And I'm glad I bought the bracelet. No one has regretted buying the bracelet and I can see why. Okay, let's continue...
    - I have watches with anti-reflective coating. I think one of them has double-sided coating as well. I thought I knew what double-sided AR coating looked like. Then I saw this Damasko. Now I know what it REALLY looks like. WOW, I can't see the crystal most of the time! Now yes, when you do see a reflection it does give off a blueish hue and fingerprints show clearly. However, that's only in a FEW angles. I have to move my watch around the light to FIND a reflection. Perhaps the white dial makes it harder to see reflections?

Name:  2016-12-05 18.48.57.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  103.7 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.49.58.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  92.6 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.53.44.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  102.3 KBName:  2016-12-05 18.52.14.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  110.6 KB

- I've heard that the Damasko bezel play is among the best in the market. My bezel is tough as nails to rotate. Is that intentional or do I need to give it more time?

Name:  2016-12-05 18.42.36.jpg
Size:  152.0 KB

- The story of my engraving is long but I might as well post it now. I thought long and hard about what sort of engraving I'd like. As confident as Damasko is about their sharpness of engraving, I was concerned that a very detailed picture would turn out ugly in engraved form, so I looked for something simple. That is NOT the Peace Now sign, but the opposite, the Apocalypse Now sign from my favorite movie (no I'm not evil, I want peace lol). I figured that would be much easier to engrave than Marlon Brando's evil face. There was only one problem, the Apocalypse Now symbol in its original form does not exist. I took screenwriter John Milius' description of his sign for the concept, then looked for the exact measurements of the Vietnam War-era B-52 bomber to determine exact distance between the engines, fuselage, and tail and distance between tail and wings. Now who in their right mind would spend over an hour doing such a silly thing? The guy who spent nearly three grand on a watch and wants to get it right, of course. Wouldn't you? Anyway, if anyone would like the PERFECT Apocalypse Now sign for any reason at all (i.e. wallpaper, tattoo, cloth patch, engraving) just let me know and I'll upload it. Also, some of you would NOT engrave your name on a watch because of resale value. I think I made it pretty clear that this one is a keeper. Watches will come and go, even Rolex-equivalent pieces will be bought and perhaps sold eventually, but this watch will never go out of style for me.

Name:  2016-12-05 19.47.20.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  133.6 KBName:  2016-12-05 19.48.34.jpg
Size:  142.7 KBName:  2016-12-05 20.14.35.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  62.2 KB

- I was concerned that a chronograph dial would appear too busy for my tastes. This was more so on black-dial watches and I noticed that the white-dial Damasko chronograph looked cleaner and more spacious in my eyes. I don't know why I view it that way but it's one reason I went with DC67.
    - This is my first chronograph and first watch over $1,000 so......yeah....mind blown! I was worried that this watch would be too big for me (even as a Seiko Monster owner). The height of the watch was the concern. I thought 13.7mm height was very high. I read that Valjoux 7750s are at minimum around that height and sometimes more. I accepted it. Now, after months of seeing 7750-movement watches MUCH, MUCH thicker than this one, I can say that Damasko did a great job keeping it slim even with the anti-magnetic, anti-shock, and ice-hardening technologies added to the watch. Two thumbs up!
    - The lume shot above shows another reason I went with a white dial. People complained about the brightness of the lume for a watch of this price level. I agree, but I knew that white-dial Damaskos would be a little bit more legible in the dark. This lume shot is seconds AFTER I hit the dial with a black light, just so you know. After a while the dial is pretty dim, though. Maybe years from now I'll re-lume it with C3. Or I could go crazy with red.

- The watch itself is a 10/10 so far. Now I haven't done a full inspection under my loupe yet because of time. However, there was ONE problem with the order. The torx screwdriver was busted. The screw head is detached from the base and was rotating when I tried to use it. I had to use PLIERS with the torx head to adjust my bracelet. After 20 minutes and tired hands, I got it done. I'll have to find better torx screwdrivers for future use.

Name:  2016-12-05 19.02.37.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  250.3 KB

- Final picture here. This thing is a weapon.

Name:  2016-12-05 22.40.59.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  145.6 KB

Re: DC67 - My Apocalyptic Wrist-Tank is Here!

Great review. I absolutely love the red accents, nice choice. Great work all around, enjoy your new tank.

Nice review. You should have one of the mods to move this to the regular Damasko forum. I didn't even know there was a separate review forum, lol.
    Last edited by Buellrider; December 9th, 2016 at 06:22.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buellrider View Post
    Nice review. You should one of the mods to move this to the regular Damasko forum. I didn't even know there was a separate review forum, lol.
    I thought that this thread was originally posted in the main Damasko forum, and it looks like it was moved to this subforum where there seems to be less traffic.
    Last edited by Vig2000; December 9th, 2016 at 14:44.

Yeah, I wouldn't have even noticed it i hadn't searched.
    Last edited by Buellrider; December 9th, 2016 at 06:29.

It's not like there are a ton of threads being opened up in the main Damasko forum. I am sure these review threads could be added so they get more traffic.

I posted the thread here because I thought it's where it belonged. It would be great if people checked out the review thread.
    Buellrider likes this.

As actor Tom Sizemore said in the film "Blackhawk Down"
    "Whats not to like about this" (your newbie watch i.e.)
    I'm sure it's worth the wait.

X Traindriver Art

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadGRIM View Post
    I posted the thread here because I thought it's where it belonged. It would be great if people checked out the review thread.
    This.

The WUS forum structure (rules & guidelines - discussion - reviews - pics [or something like that]) exists since the very beginning and is agreed upon with the sponsor in question. Member's should be accustomed to it though. Using tapatalk is not always the best option to navigate WUS.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 9th, 2016 at 13:17.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Beautiful watch, wear it in good health.
    I remember opening mine and, like you, being blown away by its crisp precision.
    Terrific review!
    whineboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information