My Damasko DA36 pics, comments (long)...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Damasko DA36 pics, comments (long)...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture My Damasko DA36 pics, comments (long)...

Well I did the best I could with the old 2MP Canon Elph I brought on the trip, so forgive the blurry photos.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I received my watch a few minutes before I left for Denmark on business so I didn't really get to enjoy that wonderful process of opening the box for the first time staring for an hour. Instead, I put this tool to work immediately!

Comments on form, function:

1. Hands: The hour and minute hands are no different from the DC models. Perfect length and width in my opinion. Fully coated with lume paint. The lume is not the brightest I've seen, given the size of the hands, but not bad either - seems to fade a bit quicker than others in my collection. To be completely honest, the seconds hand is actually very bright yellow - think highlighter pen yellow. Photos cannot capture just how bright it is. It seems to jump off the dial ...and then smack you in the face! I imagine this may scare a few people away from the watch completely - maybe me too. But it does grow on you after a short while on the wrist - immediately visible with some slight contrast with the hour and minute hands. In low-light situations, it looks almost white, like the other hands. One problem: the description on Damasko website states this is yellow luminous compound. It is not. No lume on the seconds hand. I half expected this since I've never seen this bright fluorescent yellow color lume paint. Maybe (since not lumed anyway) a solid orange would be better here, or maybe orange-tipped? Either way, not a deal-breaker for me - but maybe for some.

2. Dial: The watch is ultra-legible. It could serve as a wall clock in most apartments. From twenty feet or more it is still possible to tell the time within 5 seconds - not kidding. The arabic numbers appear to be a bit larger than those on the DC's, since there are no subdials and this helps. The crosshair is purely decorative, and thus a bit strange for Damasko, but in keeping with the constant seconds subdial on the DC models. For me, it was one reason for choosing this watch over other fliegers - I like it. The Day-Date function appears to be improved slightly over the DC's. The day text seems to fill the window better (or the window is smaller). The day disc is also in both English and German (alternating). You just set it to the language of your choice, and when if flips over at midnight, it skips over the other language - very nice. So if I'm feeling very German one day, I can switch to German days. One BIG problem (at least in my opinion): The movement was not calibrated very well with respect to the day-date transition. I posted a message a while back about the correct behavior of the ETA 2836-2 mov't and got a few responses stating that the changeover should be within +/- 5 minutes of midnight, since it is a instant (jumping) transition - not the 1 hour gradual change in other mov'ts. My DA36 is changing over at about 11:20PM - 40 minutes early.

3. Case: As my first bead-blasted steel case watch, I love the look of this metal. Perfectly matte finished and shows no fingerprints - very technical looking indeed. I also appreciate that every visible metal part is the same "ice-hardened" stainless steel - including the crown and buckle (however, I assume the spring pins are not?). Most importantly, I love the confidence that comes with owning a watch virtually impervious to everyday (or severe) wear and tear - another reason I chose this watch over the Sinn 656.

4. Crystal: Sapphire of course. Should be identical to DC's. I can't get over how little reflection you get due to the AR coating, inspite of the black dial. It does produce a "blue dial effect" when looking at an angle sometimes, but no glare to speak of and as mentioned - always easy to read.

5. Crown: After reading all the technical info about the Damasko's crown, I was expecting a liquid-smooth feeling when screwing/unscrewing the crown. Actually, you can feel a little bit of friction in the threading - hard to explain. The feeling is still very precise, and you can certainly feel when the crown is completely tight - very sure feeling. No complaints here. Should also be the same as DC models. One other note: oddly, there's no warning in the instructions about setting the day-date function between 9 and 3 like most similar watches - including my Schauer Day-Date Zentral (with the same mov't).

6. Size: At 40mm, I was expecting the watch to wear a little larger than it actually does - but this is a good thing for me and my 7 in. wrist. Even the picture below makes the watch look larger than it appears to my eyes. It ceratinly looks smaller than my 39mm Stowa Antea. The lower profile of the watch is thanks to the 2836 mov't compared to the thick 7750 on the DC's. This also makes the watch a bit more comfortable on the wrist and it looks less bulky (I chose the DA36 over the DC56 because I did not want another 7750 based chrono in my small collection).

7. Strap: The real leather strap will not really appeal to those interested in fine leather. It is really a coated leather like you might find on automobile seats - safe from moisture. This is by design and I expected it. The reverse of the strap is lined with a very thin layer of silicone. I really like this because it holds the watch in place well and will not absorb moisture or sweat. It appears to be a truly waterproof leather strap - but it doesn't try to look like fine leather - so be aware.

8. Accuracy: Too early to give a full report, but on the wrist my DA36 has kept perfect time so far. It gained two seconds overnight with dial up last night (over about 8 hours) and crown right it kept perfect time over five hours this evening. So it's looking better than most chronometers. More testing to come.

Final notes: I'm not giving this one up. I love the design and the feel. It feels good to have a watch in the collection that is purely an instrument in design and function. I even hesitate to have Damasko try to correct the day-change problem - mostly because I don't want to give it up for that long.

Don't be afraid of the yellow seconds and give it try. Then try to take it off - If it's really difficult to do, then keep it!

Enjoy the sloppy pics...

Best Regards,
    Brian

oso2276 likes this.

Re: My Damasko DA36 pics, comments (long)...

Your pics are fine Brian, better than I ever do...lol.
    Great review and a super cool, legible, clean watch.
    I love the yellow second hand personally.
    This is a watch I would definitely consider.
    I need a cool scar on my watch arm too btw!
    Congrats on an excellent purchase!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

BEAUTIFUL pictures. Your pictures sure looks better than the official ones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the font and position of the day/date wheels. Totally unique

Congrats on a great looking watch. I like that it is different from the Sinn 656. I think Damasko is definitely bringing out his own style and I like that style. It is an overall great looking watch. One I should consider down the road as well.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Thank you very much for the report and the pictures, Brian!

And congratulations on being one of the first owners of this watch! :gold

A few comments:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    One BIG problem (at least in my opinion): The movement was not calibrated very well with respect to the day-date transition. I posted a message a while back about the correct behavior of the ETA 2836-2 mov't and got a few responses stating that the changeover should be within +/- 5 minutes of midnight, since it is a instant (jumping) transition - not the 1 hour gradual change in other mov'ts. My DA36 is changing over at about 11:20PM - 40 minutes early.

(...)

One other note: oddly, there's no warning in the instructions about setting the day-date function between 9 and 3 like most similar watches - including my Schauer Day-Date Zentral (with the same mov't).
    The problem with the date changeover is not caused by the calibration of the movement, but of the hands - should be an easy fix.

You are correct about the need to avoid operating the quuick-set date function from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. (I give a margin of safety here).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

stuffler,mike

Thank you very much for the write up. Copied to the review section

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Well I did the best I could with the old 2MP Canon Elph I brought on the trip, so forgive the blurry photos.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I received my watch a few minutes before I left for Denmark on business so I didn't really get to enjoy that wonderful process of opening the box for the first time staring for an hour. Instead, I put this tool to work immediately!

Comments on form, function:
    Great review and watch, thanks!

Thanks for a very informative read. I believe you have just persuaded me to buy a DA36.
    Regards, MAGIRUS.

Smile Nice review my friend!

Great review Brian! I just ordered one 4 hours ago. A long wait I was told, but after reading what you had to say, I'm more excited than ever.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tompw; December 10th, 2006 at 18:17. Reason: deleted copy of original message

''The past is a work of art, free of irrelevancies and loose ends"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information