WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

***What HAQ watch are you sporting today?***

486K views 2K replies 448 participants last post by  Motorcityjoe 
#1 ·
My 1st and only at the moment. I am loving this thing.

See less See more
#372 ·
https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/haq-tc-definitions-semantics-1575490.html?highlight=haq+definition

Still trying to understand the definition of HAQ myself. There does not seem to be a universally accepted one although most use some range of SPY (seconds per year) as their basis. The more stringent use <= 10 SPY. Others <=20 SPY while a looser definition may be COSC (<= 25.55 SPY). So I guess the Tissot is or is not HAQ depending upon which definition a person uses.

To me, I guess it is HAQ, but just barely.

I also guess this discussion could go on indefinitely until there is a more clear definition of HAQ.

#374 ·
Perhaps, you could focus on the applied technologies instead of the marketing slogans/claims.
Spare me from the marketing claims and just let me know of the applied technologies and I will know whether the movement is HAQ. It is that simple really.

#375 ·
I've never experienced so much hostility on WUS. I was curious about HAQ, bought an entry-level cosc quartz watch, posted a picture, defended my post by providing documentation of TC technology, and am now required to defend my defense. I think it meets the outer limits of the definition of HAQ but I'll bow out now.

...For the record, ppaulusz, "The Citizen" is the colloquial name given to the model titled "Chronomaster." I don't own one but I know from others who keep track that they are extremely accurate (far above COSC standards). I'm probably not too far out on a limb when I say that "The Citizen" is typically more accurate than the Tissot PR100 COSC.

I'm out of here!

Reactions: Goldtop 57 and drm7
#376 ·
- You obviously do not quite understand the meaning of the word "hostility". I used words like "please" and "thanks" in my "hostile" post... just for the record!
- This is the Chronomaster from Citizen: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-kyotoya-shop/13909004/ - it is not even quartz... again, just for the record!
- The ETA Precidrive is also extremely accurate (far better than the COSC standards)... just for the record!

#383 · (Edited)
Obviously you mean <= 10 s/y by performance (applied technologies) not by promise (marketing slogans) as otherwise it makes no sense at all.
This forum should know better. Current 32kHz thermocompensated (digitally by inhibition) movements perform very much alike regardless of manufacturers. Small but meaningful differences are the results of better/finer thermocompensation algorithm (hash table) and careful calibration out of the factory. This latter one is not an issue if the movement is equipped with a digital calibration terminal as it allows precise fine-tuning at any time for any environment (wearing habit, etc.).

Here is an example of applied technologies vs marketing promises: in the year 2001 the COSC certified Breitling Aerospace featured a thermocompensated quartz movement (manufactured by ETA) with digital calibration terminal. Marketing-wise it was interpreted many ways:
1) It is rated <= 25,5 s/y because of the COSC.
2) It is rated <= 15 s/y because that is how Breitling marketed it.
3) It is rated <= 10 s/y because that is how ETA marketed the movement (member of the ETA Thermoline family).
So that is marketing for you! This forum should not pay much attention to that!
What was the real performance of that Breitling Aerospace? Well, it was performing well within 4 seconds per year (mine was like less than 2 seconds). If one was lucky then that is how the watch was set out of the factory. Otherwise thanks to its digital calibration terminal it could be recalibrated even by the end-user to achieve the well within 4 seconds/year precision/accuracy. In that example the applied technologies were better than the marketing claims.
We know very well that it can be the other way around as well like with the Pulsar (Seiko) PSR-10 or the Seiko 8F movements just to pick two when marketing claims were not backed by applied technologies. Applied technologies are the key and we can forget the marketing slogans because the marketing departments won't make any watch be more precise/accurate unlike the applied technologies!
Not to mention the careful wordings of those marketing claims... One can't compare the The Citizen's accuracy specs to the Longines VHP's or the COSC's either because there is no set norms/standards so pay attention to the very careful wordings and realize that you are trying to compare apples to oranges...

#387 ·
A perfect example of a current thermocompensated quartz watch from Switzerland so it is definitely HAQ thanks to the applied technologies!
And a perfect example of bad marketing in view of the applied technologies but perfectly in-line with perception (the COSC mark on the dial).
Some would sleep better with the thought that his watch is COSC certified and some would sleep better knowing that his watch is extremely accurate thanks to the applied technologies. Unfortunately, COSC has lost a great deal of its prestige as only Swiss-made watches can be considered for the certificate (you see, again: it's foremost marketing - otherwise non-Swiss-made movements would be also considered for the COSC certificate purely by merit of applied technologies)...

Reactions: dgart08