0100 Citizen +/- 1 sec/year!
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 0100 Citizen +/- 1 sec/year!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

0100 Citizen +/- 1 sec/year!

I need some information on Citizen pricing. Clearly top Rolex and AP models go for MSRP or over. I have a number of Grand Seikos with the LE 9F movement. Great workmanship, stunning design and great accuracy.

I got my email today that I can preorder the Citizen 0100 in titanium w black dial. Now it would be full sales tax so over $8100 on an MSRP of $7400. I was able to get my GS's even the LEs at MSRP. And they tend to trade at a slight discount. I will buy the Citizen so long as it is likely as a very limited edition to trade at only a slight discount to MSRP over the near time. I am not a seller or a flipper but to buy a watch for $8100 and have it worth $6500 in 6 months particularly with a manufacturer I have not collected before is not a great plan.

Are there any LE Citizens with great to good demand that have a history that might give me a hint? Given that Omega can typically be had for 40% off I don't want to find out that is the Citizen way. Even as a limited edition over $7-8k is a lot for a quartz watch.

Re: 0100 Citizen +/- 1 sec/year!

I have done quite a bit of looking and notice Citizen has a number of their +/- HAQs on sale on their website for about 25% off. So I think I will hold off on the 0100 although it looks to be a incredible movement.

GS limited editions don't seem to be able to hold any premium to MSRP. I expect the same for Citizen. I'm not touching these LE's. I will only buy a regular production 0100 in base metal at a reasonable price. If they never release one then no big deal. A regular quartz is so accurate as-is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    GS limited editions don't seem to be able to hold any premium to MSRP. I expect the same for Citizen. I'm not touching these LE's. I will only buy a regular production 0100 in base metal at a reasonable price. If they never release one then no big deal. A regular quartz is so accurate as-is.
    And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked. So 1 SPY is largely superfluous in practice.

But how many of us are thinking practically about these? :)

I'm hoping the LE bracelet is a fairly large component of the overall cost...because for the black dial...what else can be cut back? I don't think the indices and hands are that pricey. It seems unlikely the demand will be that grat...even if we potulate, say, $5k models. That's still a LOT for a watch.
    tomchicago likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

HAQ and AW moderator

If the LEs sell out quickly, why expect a serial run next? More LEs with different case materials and dials?

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked...
    The "The Citizen" (that is the proper name!) 32kHz quartz models have been always spec'd as 5 SPY (with caveats!) since 1995 regardless of any marking (eagle-marked or Chronomaster-marked) on these watches.
    Last edited by ppaulusz; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:02.
    Referring to the specifications without being aware of the applied technologies is the telltale sign of incompetence!

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    If the LEs sell out quickly, why expect a serial run next? More LEs with different case materials and dials?
    I would expect regular production. At least I would hope for regular production.
    Last edited by tomchicago; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:43.

Citizen should be able to land the 0100s somewhere $2,000 - $3,000 USD. It would dominate in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    And all the Chronomasters are now being spec'd as 5 SPY, not just the eagle-marked. So 1 SPY is largely superfluous in practice.

But how many of us are thinking practically about these? :)

I'm hoping the LE bracelet is a fairly large component of the overall cost...because for the black dial...what else can be cut back? I don't think the indices and hands are that pricey. It seems unlikely the demand will be that grat...even if we potulate, say, $5k models. That's still a LOT for a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    Citizen should be able to land the 0100s somewhere $2,000 - $3,000 USD. It would dominate in that range.
    And who would buy their The Citizen (5 SPY) models that are also in the $2,000 - $3,000 USD range?!

I've been saying since the early info about the Cal.0100S that it won't be in regular production as long as their The Citizen (5 SPY) models around.
    Referring to the specifications without being aware of the applied technologies is the telltale sign of incompetence!

Good point. Citizen should scrap the whole 5 SPY line in my opinion and really leverage the development that went into the 0100 and their quartz line would then be a leader in its field. I think Longines' exclusive use of the ETA 5 SPY movement ends soon as well, so 5 SPY will become more and more crowded. Grand Seiko is lagging in this respect and may get left behind unless they are doing their own r&d.

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    And who would buy their The Citizen (5 SPY) models that are also in the $2,000 - $3,000 USD range?!

I've been saying since the early info about the Cal.0100S that it won't be in regular production as long as their The Citizen (5 SPY) models around.
    Last edited by tomchicago; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:32.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information