34-36mm HAQ day/date?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 34-36mm HAQ day/date?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

34-36mm HAQ day/date?

Does it exist? GS comes close at 37mm...but I'm not seeing many other options.

Re: 34-36mm HAQ day/date?

I guess if you can find a Rolex Oyster Quartz day date produced in 2001, when the current COSC specs for quartz watches were set, that would qualify. It would definately say superlative chronometer on the dial, and be 36mm. Older ones are meeting the old COSC specs for quartz watches.

If you are willing to give up the day, than there would be a bunch of 36mm Breitling's you could get cheaper than those Rolex's.

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    ...find a Rolex Oyster Quartz day date produced in 2001, when the current COSC specs for quartz watches were set...
    No Rolex Oyster Quartz can meet current COSC specs for quartz!
    ronalddheld likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    No Rolex Oyster Quartz can meet current COSC specs for quartz!
    Hey don't tell Will_F his was meeting current specs on the public forum last year. But you're right those watches are closer to a 5 s/mo watch as opposed to a 2 s/mo watch. Those 500 movements certified in 2001 were probably grandfathered in to the old specs.

That aside does the Oysterquartz still count as HAQ?

Hey don't tell Will_F his was meeting current specs on the public forum last year. But you're right those watches are closer to a 5 s/mo watch as opposed to a 2 s/mo watch. Those 500 movements certified in 2001 were probably grandfathered in to the old specs.

That aside does the Oysterquartz still count as HAQ?
    A bit of a weird question. I mean, if we take accuracy out of the question then my old Swatch Jelly Fish would be HAQ, wouldn't it?

This surely brings us back to the age-old question of what constitutes HAQ and whilst we often default to COSC specs as a minimum standard, we are, I believe, primarily concerned with inherent accuracy.

Trying to come up with a COSC-oriented answer, the post-2000 COSC spec not only upped the accuracy requirement but also insisted on thermocompensation, so, accuracy aside, the old Oysterquartz would still be HAQ, whereas watches like the Swatch Jelly Fish would not.
    Last edited by Tom-HK; April 1st, 2018 at 09:21.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Hey don't tell Will_F his was meeting current specs on the public forum last year...
    OK, I won't tell him and you don't tell him that I don't believe that he subjected his watch to the COSC tests last year! How about that?!

HAQ and AW moderator

I vaguely recall 60 s/y for the Oysterquartz.
    Now we use ~20 s/y for HAQ but may need tightening up.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    I vaguely recall 60 s/y for the Oysterquartz.
    Now we use ~20 s/y for HAQ but may need tightening up.
    The term "HAQ" seems to be a bit of a moving target - and probably should be. As the State Of The Art (SOTA) moves ahead, a new perspective is forced on previous models. The Citizen announcement of a 1 s/y movement displaces the 5 s/y movements at the top of the HAQ heap, makes 10 s/y seem on the edge of acceptability and 20 s/y seem downright pedestrian - to the point that we may now even question whether 20 s/y qualifies for HAQ status.

Maybe we should consider different classifications for HAQ status. Something like:

SOTA HAQ - Current production models which exhibit by measured performance as well as manufacturer specs the pinnacle of HAQ performance. Today this would be the 5 s/y movements. Soon, however, this would probably be displaced by the Citizen Calibre 0100 movement with its 1 s/y spec. These may or may not have thermocompensation as we know it today.

HAQ - Current or prior production models which demonstrate by measured performance as well as manufacturer specs a high level of performance in relation to other models in their class as well as to the current COSC spec. This would be the 10 - 25 s/y movements with thermocompensation.

Non-T/C HAQ - Current or prior production models which demonstrate by measured performance as well as manufacturer specs a high level of performance in relation to other models in their class as well as to the current COSC precision spec. This would be the 10 - 25 s/y movements without thermocompensation.

Legacy (or Vintage) HAQ - Models which are no longer in current production, but demonstrate by measured performance and manufacturer specs a high level of performance in relation to other models in their class as well as to older COSC precision specs. This would be the <25 s/y movements with or without thermocompensation.

By simply tightening the 20 s/y requirement for HAQ, we risk losing some of those who are currently participating in our HAQ group - we also run the risk of losing historical perspective.

Just brainstorming here - thoughts, anyone?

HTH
    watchcrank likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I think it's problematic trying to be too prescriptive about what qualifies for the HAQ Club and generally I don't think it is necessary or particularly helpful. At least, not so helpful to the average forum member as to make the creation of a definitive list of criteria an exercise worth the inevitable arguments.

What we do tend to agree upon is :

1. the the accuracy must be far better than the ordinary (10 SPY or better for all movements of current production, with defined exceptions for pieces that are no longer produced but which were considered 'HAQ' in their day);
    2. the accuracy must be inherent (rather than as a result of a sync with an external source);
    3. the accuracy must be by design (i.e. not achieved by sheer luck).

Does a movement necessarily need to be thermocompensated? Generally, yes. Especially for modern movements. There's no real excuse for not investing in thermocompensation technology, these days. Thermocompensation is a basic requirement for meeting the already fairly loose requirements for COSC Quartz Chronometer status, so perhaps it is a minimum standard that we ought to expect from HAQs of current production. This would, of course, not sit well with the Bulova crowd, but as the owner of a Bulova, myself, I don't have a problem with it.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    I think it's problematic trying to be too prescriptive about what qualifies for the HAQ Club and generally I don't think it is necessary or particularly helpful. At least, not so helpful to the average forum member as to make the creation of a definitive list of criteria an exercise worth the inevitable arguments.

What we do tend to agree upon is :

1. the the accuracy must be far better than the ordinary (10 SPY or better for all movements of current production, with defined exceptions for pieces that are no longer produced but which were considered 'HAQ' in their day);
    2. the accuracy must be inherent (rather than as a result of a sync with an external source);
    3. the accuracy must be by design (i.e. not achieved by sheer luck).

Does a movement necessarily need to be thermocompensated? Generally, yes. Especially for modern movements. There's no real excuse for not investing in thermocompensation technology, these days. Thermocompensation is a basic requirement for meeting the already fairly loose requirements for COSC Quartz Chronometer status, so perhaps it is a minimum standard that we ought to expect from HAQs of current production. This would, of course, not sit well with the Bulova crowd, but as the owner of a Bulova, myself, I don't have a problem with it.
    Agree completely with that. Who would dare to disagree with a man who owns the entire world production of 4 MHz watches?
    watchcrank likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information