Am I expecting too much from a new watch?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Am I expecting too much from a new watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I expecting too much from a new watch?

I have owned just one watch since 1988 and worn it virtually every day for the last 30 years. My Heuer 2000 Professional has been to Pro Time a handful of times and been utterly reliable in every way. While I change the date to keep up with the varying number of days each month, I only change the time twice a year for daylight savings time. I don't recall ever adjusting the time because it has been faster or slower than my phone, computer, or "time and temperature" back in the day.

Somehow I get exposed to this watch collecting thing and discovered a lot of neat stuff out there, and now I want a Seiko SKX011. That is, until I learned that the SKX may gain or lose several minutes or more each week. I read about exceptions that are reported to be quite accurate, but the "spec" is nowhere near accurate enough and I don't want a watch I have to adjust every few days.

That led me to the SBCM029, but it occurs to me that I'm being too dramatic. Did I get lucky 30 years ago buying a watch as a complete novice?

Re: Am I expecting too much from a new watch?

That Heuer is a quartz?

There's your answer why it's way more accurate than the SKX.

The SBCM029 has a Seiko 8F35 movement, which is nice but not as nice as the 9F.
    Last edited by jthole; March 21st, 2018 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
    I have owned just one watch since 1988 and worn it virtually every day for the last 30 years. My Heuer 2000 Professional has been to Pro Time a handful of times and been utterly reliable in every way. While I change the date to keep up with the varying number of days each month, I only change the time twice a year for daylight savings time. I don't recall ever adjusting the time because it has been faster or slower than my phone, computer, or "time and temperature" back in the day.

Somehow I get exposed to this watch collecting thing and discovered a lot of neat stuff out there, and now I want a Seiko SKX011. That is, until I learned that the SKX may gain or lose several minutes or more each week. I read about exceptions that are reported to be quite accurate, but the "spec" is nowhere near accurate enough and I don't want a watch I have to adjust every few days.

That led me to the SBCM029, but it occurs to me that I'm being too dramatic. Did I get lucky 30 years ago buying a watch as a complete novice?

An average quartz watch is way more accurate than a mechanical watch.
    Why that's never been used as a selling point, I don't know.

But them Heuers were not cheap nasty watches. I would expect a few decades life from that.
    ronalddheld likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jthole View Post
    That Heuer is a quartz?

There's your answer why it's way more accurate than the SKX.

The SBCM029 has a Seiko 8F35 movement, which is nice but not as nice as the 9F.
    Yes, quartz. It's been everything I've wanted in a watch for 30 years and I bought it new in California for, as I recall, a song. Maybe it's a grass is always greener thing, but the 2000 Professional lacks sizzle. Or maybe my 30 years of wearing it every day has dulled the retro attraction.

Guess my real question is if the Heuer has set my expectation for "set it once" accuracy, will it take an 8F35 movement, or will that be disappointing? And is there any chance a 7S26 will deliver that kind of accuracy, or is that a complete dead end?

HAQ and AW moderator

Yes, quartz. It's been everything I've wanted in a watch for 30 years and I bought it new in California for, as I recall, a song. Maybe it's a grass is always greener thing, but the 2000 Professional lacks sizzle. Or maybe my 30 years of wearing it every day has dulled the retro attraction.

Guess my real question is if the Heuer has set my expectation for "set it once" accuracy, will it take an 8F35 movement, or will that be disappointing? And is there any chance a 7S26 will deliver that kind of accuracy, or is that a complete dead end?
    What are you looking for in quartz accuracy? If 15 s/m is good enough for you, most quartz watches should meet that expectation. If 20 s/y is what you want then you have gone to the right place?

Seems like most watch collector videos and reviews focus on automatic movements. Could it be that the nature of watch collecting means rotating through watches often enough that each one must be set every time it's put on? I've always appreciated my Heuer, but it's been the only watch I've worn for years at a time. I don't think I'd still be wearing an SKX that gained 20 seconds a day or a couple minutes a week.

Perhaps my real issue is either hoping to learn that an SKX011 can be worn for six months without adjusting the time, or talking myself into the effort and expense of finding an SBCM029.

You can have luck with regular quartz watches. My wife's Victorinox, with a simple Ronda movement, does about five seconds a month. But there's no guarantee it will keep doing that, because there are no special provisions in that movement to increase the accuracy.
    ronalddheld likes this.

Yes I own the coke bezel tag Prof 2000 and it is light and easy to wear.

Yeah I am basically liking simplicity of quartz a lot. I may get one auto that is self winding but I couldn't handle more

Perhaps my real issue is either hoping to learn that an SKX011 can be worn for six months without adjusting the time ...
    No.

Well, technically you could, if you don't mind it being half an hour off by then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information