AQ4000-51L first impressions
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By gangrel
  • 2 Post By gangrel
  • 1 Post By gangrel
  • 1 Post By wbird

Thread: AQ4000-51L first impressions

AQ4000-51L first impressions

As noted, given the pretty good price from the US site, I pulled the trigger and got it in yesterday.

--HEFTY! Steel case, steel bracelet, already sized tho which is nice. Clasp sits dead center of my wrist, so they did it right. If I take it off the bracelet and onto a strap, I'm thinking it'll want something a bit heftier than usual.

--Charged right up. As noted, had LED bulbs to use. Within a few hours it was outside the "end of charge" second hand stutter.

--Instruction manual...not the silly one they include, but the online one. Very easy to find, very clear.

--Turns out, there's a PR check built in. There's a button on the case, around 1:30 or so, and with crown in...press to get a coarse PR assessment. There's 3 indications...3-100 days (more charging strongly suggested), 100-160, 160-210. That should be fine for me. Charge time under direct indoor lighting's listed as 150 hours...I think I'm giving it more light than they used as a reference.

--Settings...IAHH and date are both operated at crown position 1. That means, yeah...you have to roll the hour hand back through every day to change the date. Nasty luck...date on mine was 17, so almost the max amount of setting required. Not bad, and the date transition was clear so identifying AM vs. PM was fine.

--Perpetual calendar month and year use the button, with the crown at position 1. The manual shows it...the hours are used for month, then the minutes within are used for the year within the leap year cycle. Quite straightforward. Fair number of button presses...as you advance year, year, MONTH -> year 0, year, year, year, MONTH...but it took very little time.

The blue dial is a bit darker and richer than factory pics show...well, gee, is anyone surprised there? It's also got a gradient effect going on, turning darker past the hour indices in particular. Not what I'd call a great dial, but reasonable. Very nice applied indices. Hands...meh.

Time to hit the market, so I'll be wearing it for a while and see how that goes. Pics probably later....
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Re: AQ4000-51L first impressions

Oh, and given the weight...the bracelet was showing a tendency to slip. Ugh. 19 mm lugs...well, for now I've got it on an 18 mm. Won't stay there but it's good enough for now.

Name:  chronmaster 1.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  977.0 KB

Not a great pic but you can see the gradient.
    avusblue and Mavrobasilis like this.

Thanks for taking the time to share your first impressions of the Citizen AQ4000-51L. It truly is a remarkable engineered watch. Enjoy your new citizen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also charged up to the top level by last night, mostly under just some LED lighting. Figured it'd take 4-5 days.
    tomchicago likes this.

Congrats OP, if I had a need for that style I would have bought it too. A blue dial Datejust currently occupies that space for me.
    jenyang likes this.

I got the same one, from the U.S. site as well. It is excellent. I'm totally happy with it. That gradient dial is called a "​f​umé dial." Anyone interested in one should do a web search for a Citizen coupon code first. You can usually get an extra 10% off with a code.

I hope you enjoy it. I surely am.

tmt

Wow, great looking watch. The dial just pops!
    I had to check it out on Citizens site and it seems it's a tad larger case on your watch, with the crown recessed.
    That looked pretty darn cool
    Don´t you like the bracelet?

Mine says hi

Name:  DSC02303.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  4.22 MB

The bracelet slides. Somewhat dry skin, pretty hairy arm...they all slide on my wrist. Especially with the weight of a steel bracelet, which is something I don't like anyway.

So, no. But it's not this bracelet, it's ALL watch bracelets.

tmt

Yeah, I totally get it.
    But as I've had bigass divers the last 20 years this one feels like a feather on my wrist
    Anyway, you have a great looking watch!

Thread Information