Bell & Ross BRS Quartz thermocompensated?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bell & Ross BRS Quartz thermocompensated?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MBQ

Bell & Ross BRS Quartz thermocompensated?

Im not sure if it has been discussed before, but are the Bell & Ross BRS Quartz watches thermocompensated? I came across the ETA Flatline E61.511 PreceDrive caliber on WatchBase and the BRS seems to be using the movement according to the site. BRS arent mentioned as HAQs, not when reading about HAQ watches online or by Bell & Ross themselves. Personally I like the design and the BRS seems to be the right size in their line, at least for me. It would be great to add another watch to the list of HAQ alternatives as there arent too many to choose from, and they are a bit cheaper than Breitling and Grand Seiko.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Bell & Ross BRS Quartz thermocompensated?

Not that I am aware of, but I have not checked in depth.

https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...ments/flatline
    The E61.511 does have the PreciDrive icon.

and

https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/e61-511

quoting:
    PreciDrive can achieve a precision which can pass theCOSC chronometer certification, provided the watch is not exposed to impacts, and kept at a temperature of between 20c and 30c. This precision can be achieved thanks to the thermo-compensation operating principle, which controls and regulates the motor pulses according to changes in the ambient temperature. By virtue of combining the quartz and integrated circuit in the same waterproof case, the precision is insensitive to moisture.

So, yes it is. Small movement for a 39 mm case...which shows, in where the subdial is.

My problem is with the asking price, and I'd be a LOT happier if it wasn't using the gauge-style case. That's a 39 mm square case on your wrist, so it's gonna be a BIG puppy. I'll grant that these are consistent issues with almost all B&R; I think they're overcharging (a LOT) for their trademark style.
    Covenant and MBQ like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Side point. Battery life on the E61 series is pretty short...28 or 39 months. Quite a bit of this is because they're using the 321 coin cell, which is small and thinner. The same size F-series (F04) uses the slightly thicker 364; the larger F06 and F07 movements use 371's. So, the F04 gives 36/48 months; the F06, 68 or 94.

Now, ok, the E61 is the Flatline..."high end" movement. It is thinner. But this is a sports watch; who needs thin? The Flatlines are listed as repairable, but is this really a notable issue?
    Covenant, ronalddheld and MBQ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...ments/flatline
    The E61.511 does have the PreciDrive icon.

and

https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/e61-511

quoting:
    PreciDrive can achieve a precision which can pass theCOSC chronometer certification, provided the watch is not exposed to impacts, and kept at a temperature of between 20c and 30c. This precision can be achieved thanks to the thermo-compensation operating principle, which controls and regulates the motor pulses according to changes in the ambient temperature. By virtue of combining the quartz and integrated circuit in the same waterproof case, the precision is insensitive to moisture.

So, yes it is. Small movement for a 39 mm case...which shows, in where the subdial is.

My problem is with the asking price, and I'd be a LOT happier if it wasn't using the gauge-style case. That's a 39 mm square case on your wrist, so it's gonna be a BIG puppy. I'll grant that these are consistent issues with almost all B&R; I think they're overcharging (a LOT) for their trademark style.
    That quote doesn't make much sense. The COSC testing criteria run from 8 DegC to 38 DegC - what good does it do to only meet the criteria if the watch must be kept within a 20 Degc to 30 DegC window. Doesn't seem like it meets COSC criteria at all. Maybe just marketing double talk to hide a lack of real performance?

Or am I mmissing something?
    ronalddheld likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

As far as I know, all the ETA movements labeled as "Precidrive" are TC. I'm quite sure this has already been discussed elsewhere on WUS 2-3 years ago, after ETA started to release all this bunch of new movements.

MBQ

@gangrel: Sure, they are not cheap watches, but there are more expensive non thermocompensated (if that's the case) watches out there. + I really like the readability of the dial.

@gaijin: Valid point there, but it wouldn't be a huge issue for me at least. The watch will most likely keep in that temperature range if it's on the wrist or in storage.

Sure, there are more expensive non-TC, but what are you getting? I'll buy the legible; I'll buy the style if you like it. I can't speak to solidity and durability, but how much is this worth?

But that's a personal take.

gaijin: the core accuracy claim is only valid for 20-30 degrees C. That's also part of the COSC cert; the TC's allowed to be less accurate at more extreme temps.

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/certificat...artz-movements

So they're not saying anything different.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Sure, there are more expensive non-TC, but what are you getting? I'll buy the legible; I'll buy the style if you like it. I can't speak to solidity and durability, but how much is this worth?

But that's a personal take.

gaijin: the core accuracy claim is only valid for 20-30 degrees C. That's also part of the COSC cert; the TC's allowed to be less accurate at more extreme temps.

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/certificat...artz-movements

So they're not saying anything different.
    I think they are saying something quite a bit different.

quoting:
    PreciDrive can achieve a precision which can pass theCOSC chronometer certification, provided the watch is not exposed to impacts, and kept at a temperature of between 20c and 30c.

Since the BRS series of watches in question are not certified chronometers, i.e. they have not passed the COSC chronometer certification, what are they saying?

PreciDrive can NOT pass the COSC chronometer certification if it is only held at between 20 DegC and 30 DegC (Testing is required at 8, 23 and 38 Deg C).

PreciDrive can NOT pass the COSC chronometer certification if it is not exposed to impacts (impact resistance is part of the COSC specifications).

Ergo, the first part of that quote is simply not true - as written.

If they mean that between 20 DegC and 30 DegC PreciDrive can acieve an accuracy of +0.07 Sec/Day (+25.6 Sec/Year) if not subject to impacts, then they should say that.

If they mean that between 20 DegC and 30 DegC PreciDrive can acieve an accuracy of +0.20 Sec/Day (+73 Sec/Year) if not subject to impacts, then they should say that.

Both accuracy limits are part of the COSC chronometer certification. Simply mentioning COSC chronometer certification is misleading and still leaves us wondering exactly what their spec is - if any.

Just my USD0.02

HTH
    ronalddheld likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

MBQ

Although many watches would easily pass the chronometer certfication it seems that many manufacturers don’t bother. My Grand Seiko would easily pass the test and to my knowledge neither the Chronomaster or the VHP has the certification.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information