WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Blast From The Past...

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bruce Reding 
#1 ·
While exploring Google Books, I found some interesting historical articles which folks here might like...

Popular Science Aug 1969 - Are Electric Watches Really Better?
Notice how everyone is thinking index wheels are necessary...

Popular Science Jan 1972 - Super-Accurate Thousand-Dollar Quartz Watchs: Now there's one under $200! (!!) Info on the Beta-21 and Seiko 35A (Astron) and on a Timex movement that I was unaware of but evidently made it to market judging by this June 2, 1972 advertisement in Life Magazine

Philosophical Magazine (1867)APPLICATION OF THE TUNING-FORK TO HOROLOGY. BY M. NIAUDET-BREGUET. The idea came early... But this snippet indicates by 1868 it was put into practice!

New York Magazine on Jan 23 1984
announced the creation of Swatch (Swiss Watch).

There is just lots of books and magazines to explore... too bad many are not 'full display' capable. ... but one that is fully usable is The Weekly World News - American's answer to Murdock's The Sun :-d The complete history of Bat Boy will live on forever!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the links, a blast from the past!

#3 ·
Popular Science Jan 1972 - Super-Accurate Thousand-Dollar Quartz Watchs: Now there's one under $200! (!!) Info on the Bhttps://www.watchuseek.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2362324eta-21 and Seiko 35A (Astron) and on a Timex movement that I was unaware of but evidently made it to market judging by this June 2, 1972 advertisement in Life Magazine
Very interesting the 48 kHz Timex (was that ever produced?), the 'mystery' Longines with 170 Hz servomotor ... and also the clear explanation on how the Astron was actually the first classic 1 Hz stator + rotor quartz ...

Now of course I am curios about the Longines but surprisingly I am a little curios on the oysterquartz - did that one had a stator + rotor ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.