WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Certina DS-2 Precidrive minute hand alignment problem

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gh0stleader 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just acquired a Certina DS-2 Precidrive watch and however I'm quite happy with the overall build quality I have two problems.
Problem one is that the second hand doesn't hit the minute markers precisely it falls somewhat between two minute indices.
Would this be something that is part of the warrancy and can I send my watch back to let it be corrected? I find it quite annoying to be honest :).
The second problem has also to do with alignment, after a period of time the minute hand doesn't hit exactly the minute markers when the second hand is on the 12 position. I adjusted this so that the minute hand hits exactly the minute marker, but after a certain period of time (don't know yet exactly after how much time) the minute hand is just before the minute marker. The watch keeps however perfect time, the seconds hand hasn't missed a second yet.. I hope you guys could help me out with this! Thanks in advance for your reply

#2 ·
Pretty sure it's not in the watch specs to hit all the markers with the second hand. So I doubt it is worthwhile to pursue it on warranty. I also doubt that it is missing all the markers equally, if it was that could be aligned, if it is like mine it hits more than it misses so I can't see how this can be fixed. The minute hand issue is a little strange, but again not sure if it could be resolved either.

#3 · (Edited)
I have seen the minute hand issue with another brand of watch. With the minute hand lining up perfectly on one portion of the dial, it fails to line up in another part of the dial. I never explored the reason or getting it fixed, but suspect it may be caused by imperfect dimensioning of some part of the dial.

I doubt it is easily fixed, and a replacement watch might have a similar issue. If under warranty, it might be worth asking the dealer or manufacturer about it, but I doubt I would want to spend money fixing it.

The second hand issue appears to be very common with quartz watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks both of you for your reply. The problem with the minute hands seems in mysterious way to be fixed. I have been watching it closely since my last post and everything appears to be allright now, no misalignment with the minute hand anymore. I will keep an eye on it for the coming days to make sure that is not going wrong on one part of the dial and allright on another part of the dial like the previous poster said. The second hand is still a problem, when I have time, I will take it to an AD and see what they say about it! In the meanwhile I will post a small watch review for my new acquisition.

#7 ·
It's a quartz so don't worry too much. This is not difficult to fix by any reputable watch repair place.

First, reach out to SG USA and read them the serial number and see if it's in warranty in their system. They might just repair it for free.

If not, ask for a repair estimate. They'll send you a prepaid label and box. You ship it to them. They'll contact you with a price. If it's too high, just ask them to return the watch back free of charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.