Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By watchhimgo
  • 2 Post By chris01
  • 2 Post By pdsf
  • 1 Post By VoxVirtus
  • 1 Post By gh0stleader

Thread: Certina DS-2 Precidrive review

Certina DS-2 Precidrive review

This will be my first watch review, as well as the first Certina I own.
    The reason that I bought this watch is that I wanted a (dressy) watch that I could wear on daily basis as well as to more formal occasions (being other watches in my collection Casio G-Shocks). I also wanted a watch which I don't have to look after and that will always give the precise time, so an automatich watch was not option, on the other hand a HAQ watch became a requirement.
    After reading some nice reviews on Certina watches I became impressed with the brand and the quality they deliver, so I pulled the trigger on a Certina DS-2 Precidrive.

The watch arrived in a big box, with a nice showcase and extensive manual.

Name:  IMG_4298.JPG
Views: 1474
Size:  2.19 MB

First some specs of the watch:
    the case has a diameter of 40 mm and a thickness of 9 mm.
    The watch is made of 316L stainless steel and has a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
    It is equipped with the ETA F06.411 Precidrive movement.
    Furthermore it holds up to a pressure of 10 bar (100 m) and the hands and indexes are painted with Super-LumiNova.

The first impression is very good, everything looks solid and sturdy. The watch has a beautiful sunburst grey dial that looks different according the light. The case is made of brushed steel with polished edges, the bezel is also polished. The crown is engraved with the letters DS, which stand for 'Double Security' and is Certina's concept for building a strong and durable watch. The DS concept consists of a sapphire crystal, an O-ring seal on the setting stam, two O-ring seals on the crown, a special seal in the case back and a reinforced case back.
    The watch has applied silver indexes that start wide and become more smaller to the top (kind of cut pyramide viewed from the side). The pointers are a little thin, but they match the watch in general really nice. The pointers are highly polished and are arrow shaped.

The bracelet consists of a middle part that is made of polished steel, where the sides are made of brushed steel, a nice combination. The bracelet has a folding clasp with the name Certina on it. Unfortunately there is no microadjustment, this is compensated with two smalller links, with this it is possible to adjust the bracelet more precise. To fit my 18 cm wrist I removed the two smaller links and one big link. The back of the case has the turtle logo big embossed, really cool. De bracelet has also solid end links.

Overall I'm very happy with the watch, it has good quality, especially with regards to the price (275 euro by a dutch webshop, I wouldn't call it grey market, because it came with the warranty certificate, however by an AD the price is 395 euro). The only flaw in this watch is that the seconds hand pointer doesn't hit the indexes precisely, I find this very annoying and will ask the dealer whether this can be corrected.
    Here are some more detailed pictures of the watch. Enjoy watching them!

Name:  IMG_4300.JPG
Views: 1510
Size:  2.22 MB

Name:  IMG_4297.JPG
Views: 1481
Size:  2.08 MB

Name:  IMG_4296.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  1.56 MB

Name:  IMG_4291.JPG
Views: 1516
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  IMG_4294.JPG
Views: 1472
Size:  1.88 MB

Name:  IMG_4293.JPG
Views: 1488
Size:  1.82 MB
    Last edited by watchhimgo; July 28th, 2018 at 20:21.
    Miguel and M52Power like this.

Re: Certina DS-2 Precidrive review

Quote Originally Posted by watchhimgo View Post
    Overall I'm very happy with the watch, it has a good quality, especially with regard to the price (275 euro by a dutch webshop, I wouldn't call it grey market, because it came with the warranty certificate, however by an AD the price is 395 euro). The only flaw in this watch is that the minute pointer doesn't hit the indexes precisely, I find this very annoying and will ask the dealer whether this can be corrected.
    Nice watch, and yes the Certinas generally offer good value for the price. I think your issue is with the SECONDS hand, not the minute, and it does look very far off in your pictures. Definitely a candidate for correction, and don't let the dealer tell you otherwise.
    VoxVirtus and watchhimgo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris01 View Post
    I think your issue is with the SECONDS hand, not the minute, and it does look very far off in your pictures. Definitely a candidate for correction, and don't let the dealer tell you otherwise.
    You are right, I meant the seconds hand, not the minute hand. Tomorrow I will go to an AD, I will keep you updated!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

last saturday I went to an AD with the watch to correct the moving of the seconds hand, they sent it to Certina, will let you know the results. They told it can take up to six weeks.

Thanks for the review. What a lovely watch. I hope you get it back soon, and you can start enjoying it again. :)
    watchhimgo and VoxVirtus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchhimgo View Post
    last saturday I went to an AD with the watch to correct the moving of the seconds hand, they sent it to Certina, will let you know the results. They told it can take up to six weeks.
    Almost bought this watch last week as my first HAQ, but didn't because I saw most photos online seemed to have the seconds marking issue. Then my GF surprised me with a Citizen Eco-drive that has the same issue. Totally bothersome, I agree. I sent mine back to Citizen, and although I'm told I'm too picky and it's "luck of the draw" with sub$1000 watches, I find it unacceptable. Best of luck on your repair, look forward to reading the outcome.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    watchhimgo likes this.

Banned

great review btw!!
    watchhimgo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VoxVirtus View Post
    Almost bought this watch last week as my first HAQ, but didn't because I saw most photos online seemed to have the seconds marking issue. Then my GF surprised me with a Citizen Eco-drive that has the same issue. Totally bothersome, I agree. I sent mine back to Citizen, and although I'm told I'm too picky and it's "luck of the draw" with sub$1000 watches, I find it unacceptable. Best of luck on your repair, look forward to reading the outcome.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    The outcome is that a while ago (sorry, I forgot this post) I received the watch back, fully serviced (pressure test and so on..), but only with a slightly correct hand.. It is still not aligned perfectly, but a little bit better. I gave up now :(. You think I should try it again :p?. How did it end with your GF Eco-drive, I'm curious to know! Thanks for your post :).

Quote Originally Posted by gh0stleader View Post
    great review btw!!
    Thank you :).

The indexing being off on a quality watch would cheese me off too. In fact, it would annoy me so much I wouldn't want to wear the watch. Send it back again & don't worry about being called picky. Anyone who fixes watches knows its not difficult to get it right, it's just that most people don't even notice.
    I had a new movement put into my 8f56 & sent it back to seiko twice to get the second hand indexed correctly. Not my problem they had to do two extra waterproofing tests!

Thread Information