Citizen “the Citizen” vs GS 9f
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Citizen “the Citizen” vs GS 9f

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen “the Citizen” vs GS 9f

Morning All,

I am considering a HAQ. Several reasons, but I’m here to see what the preference opinion would be for the two aforementioned watches. the citizen is eco-drive, so maintenance would be even less that the GS, but the GS is also interesting because of the work that goes into the movement. Plus, it is sealed and other than battery changes wouldn’t need much maintenance either. Prices are also comparable.

your comments, please and thank you!

Tom V.

Re: Citizen “the Citizen” vs GS 9f

9F movements get near universal praise from their owners, with little to no complaints. People really seem to like fine dialing their own accuracy via the adjustor on the movement. Citizen Chronomasters, on the other hand, have their share of unhappy end users as well as happy ones. I am concerned about more than 1 Chronomaster owner having sent their watch for regulation to have it return unsatisfactorily or with a fair amount of hassle from Citizen. However, strictly on their specs, I think Chronomaster has a wide edge over Grand Seiko and that Grand Seiko are actually lagging the field quite a bit in this respect. 9F is a relatively old movement and a little behind the times, but still tried true and liked. Citizen Chronomasters are more interesting and have more features than 9F's. Even ETA have surpassed Grand Seiko in the spec category with the movement in the Longines VHP. That movement should be available to other manufacturers pretty soon I think-- Longines had exclusive use of it for a limited time.

Solar is good if you wear the watch daily or can commit to storing it in the right window (not too bright sunlight). Having had a few solar watches, I prefer battery operated, but I am reasonably comfortable tinkering with quartz watches but I stop at the point of taking off the gear train plate. (I have never been able to reinstall a stator rotor, so I leave the gear train alone. I use a quartz spray to clean the train without disassembling it and it works fine). Battery changes are easy and I think it's good to have a look inside every once in a while. Analog quartz movements, while most don't require service for 30-40+ years, I think it's good to check/lube seals which is easy periodically.

Maybe Citizen will improve their US after sales service now that 0100 is being sold here.

9F is due for an update, and I would expect Citizen to make the 0100 movement regular production after the limited editions are gone.

Hope this helped with some issues to consider.

I have one watch with PR; it's my Spring Drive. Which means it's auto-winding and doesn't really need it...but it's kinda nice to have. With solar...it'd be much the same. So I might actually consider one of the older AQ1000-class with the A010. It can give you a solid reading on whether you're giving it enough light. Cuz I dislike opening casebacks...why risk the seals?

Important other aspect...GS does gorgeous dials...but not on their quartz models. Spring Drive has Snowflakes; the mechanical "seasonal" models have some gorgeous dials. The quartz..........bleah. Citizen's early models are largely bland, but the washi paper dials and some of the recent LEs...which aren't carrying a premium...are exceptional.

The AQ4000-class A060's are now all being spec'd at 5 SPY too.

Points that matter *to me*...size. My sweet spot is 38...small wrist. Easier to find pieces right around that size with Citizen. Also, bracelets generally don't work for me. Both of em are bracelet-dominated...but Citizen's been releasing a few more on strap.

If you want a sportier...then GS has a couple 40mm with 200m WR and a nice, solid GADA/sporty look. (SBGV243, 245...altho that dial color on the 245 doesn't work for me.)
    tomchicago likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry @gangrel but disagree with GS not making nice dials for their quartz watches....

My SBGN009 dial is amazing. Looks either black or shiny blue depending on the light and under some circumstances the little quartz logo shows (more on photos than to the eye)....

Watches in profile....

I have owned an 9f and also The Citizen. They are both beautiful watches. The difference is more of a matter of your taste. I think that the GS has better dial and slightly better finish, especially the bracelet. But over all for me the Citizen is the better watch.

You cannot go wrong with either, find the best one for you.

Thank you all for your great feedback. Will head over to my dealer and see what happens. It may be awhile with the holidays coming and I’m not in a huge hurry.

I’ll keep you all posted

Tom V.

I can almost accept the reason for the 9F not matching Citizen's perpetual calendar being Grand Seiko's commitment to a mechanical date mechanism, but the absence of an independently adjustable hour hand on any but their recent GMT models is however a clear deal breaker.

Citizen seem to have a clear technological edge with solar power and generally tighter specs (though this forum is full of handbag fights over which major player holds most reliably to its specs). Now I hope they will use more native Citizen styling like the Cal. 0100S in their post 0100S watches instead of deriving so many cues from Grand Seiko as they've recently been doing. I love the technology of the Citizens, but it would be hard for me to swallow buying a Grand Seiko clone, even one with incredible movement and workmanship.

I find much to like in them both and much to dislike. At this point, the only GS 9f I would buy would be the SBGN007, and the only Citizen HAQ would be the titanium 0100S.
    Last edited by watchcrank; November 22nd, 2019 at 00:36. Reason: Oops, said "Y", when I meant "N".
    - Stephen

Well said watchcrank! Agreed Seiko has no excuse for lack of independent hour hand adjust as well as perpetual calendar. These are major conveniences. By the same argument put forth against a perpetual calendar, so too could it be argued to abandon quartz altogether in loyalty to a mechanical movement! I personally have pivotted away from mechanical movements entirely. I'm down to 2 Rollies. One will be kept for sentimental reasons, the other probably get sold eventually like the others. Personally I'm waiting for regular production 0100 movement watches from Citizen or a long-needed update to the 9F by Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
    I can almost accept the reason for the 9F not matching Citizen's perpetual calendar being Grand Seiko's commitment to a mechanical date mechanism, but the absence of an independently adjustable hour hand on any but their recent GMT models is however a clear deal breaker.

Citizen seem to have a clear technological edge with solar power and generally tighter specs (though this forum is full of handbag fights over which major player holds most reliably to its specs). Now I hope they will use more native Citizen styling like the Cal. 0100S in their post 0100S watches instead of deriving so many cues from Grand Seiko as they've recently been doing. I love the technology of the Citizens, but it would be hard for me to swallow buying a Grand Seiko clone, even one with incredible movement and workmanship.

I find much to like in them both and much to dislike. At this point, the only GS 9f I would buy would be the SBGY007, and the only Citizen HAQ would be the titanium 0100S.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
    If you desire an independently adjustable hour hand and intend to purchase a used model, that would be relevant. I have a SBGN007 (9F86 movement) which has the independently adjustable hour hand. I purchased mine in June 2019.

Name:  Grand_Seiko_Wrist_Shot_SBGN007G_Resize.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  145.3 KB
    tomchicago and watchcrank like this.

I'm really warming up to that GMT. It has a genuine Seiko look to it, not a mere Rolex emulation like most others I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    If you desire an independently adjustable hour hand and intend to purchase a used model, that would be relevant. I have a SBGN007 (9F86 movement) which has the independently adjustable hour hand. I purchased mine in June 2019.

Name:  Grand_Seiko_Wrist_Shot_SBGN007G_Resize.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  145.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information