Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    11

    Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Hello everyone!

    I’ve been a citizen(pun intended) in the world of watches now for some years and feel like it’s time I treat myself to a high quality quartz!

    Originally I was set on the Grand Seiko SBGX259 or 269, and hadn’t even considered buying a Citizen watch ever. Well, that didn’t last long after seeing some pictures and articles posted of the Citizen AQ4020-54Y. The Deployant review(https://deployant.com/review-enter-t...-in-the-world/) in particular left me amazed and ready to spend.

    Even though the Chronomaster got everything I’m looking for, I’d like to hear your thoughts before pulling the trigger as I’m certain I’m blinded by love.

    Are there any other HAQs I should consider? Does the SBGX259 surpass the Chronomaster in any areas I’ve overlooked?

    I’m aware the Citizen doesn’t keep the promised +/- 5 SPY for many owners, but that doesn’t bother me.

    Thank you in advance! Looking forward to reading your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Barbababa, avusblue and Chaos_meme like this.

  2. #2
    HAQ and AW moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,199

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Have you done any searches in this forum, as we have had Citizen vs GS threads before?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Have you done any searches in this forum, as we have had Citizen vs GS threads before?
    I have, and found the majority of them to be a couple years old at least. I may have overlooked some threads. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look around!
    ronalddheld likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Budman2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Hinckley, OH
    Posts
    196

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    I love everything about that Citizen Chronomaster! I think the design is absolutely stunning. And while the Grand Seiko line is known for the exquisite craftsmanship and VHP movement it looks to me like the Citizen is right on par. I'd also take a look a t the Longines Conquest VHP line. A LOT more price friendly and another one worth considering. If price were no object I'd have to go with the Citizen.

  6. #5
    Member Mr.Jones82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,261

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman2k View Post
    I love everything about that Citizen Chronomaster! I think the design is absolutely stunning. And while the Grand Seiko line is known for the exquisite craftsmanship and VHP movement it looks to me like the Citizen is right on par. I'd also take a look a t the Longines Conquest VHP line. A LOT more price friendly and another one worth considering. If price were no object I'd have to go with the Citizen.
    The Longines VHP doesn’t compare. I own one and enjoy it for what it is, but it is a chunky, uneven and unrefined design. I love the GS 9f models and am thoroughly intrigued by the Chronomaster. I won’t buy one without handling it first because I have a sneaking feeling the dial might let me down a bit, but overall the whole washi paper design is by far the most creative of all the HAQs in my opinion. Overall though, GS’s catalogue is deeper and offers more variety. Divers, GMTs, antimagnetics, no-dates, lumed sports watches, and more. I love the sbgv models, especially the 44gs case variants. The Chronomaster might have the best dial, but GS certainly has the best case(s).
    Covenant likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

  7. #6
    Member Tom-HK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Having owned both The Citizen and a couple of Grand Seikos, my bias is towards GS. Now that GS have introduced IAHH on their latest 9F variant, there's not much that would tempt me back to Citizen. Except, perhaps, an affordable derivative of the 0100...
    Covenant likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    145

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    The Citizens all seem really chilly to me. But the Seikos, they don't really feel that way. (I am wearing a CTQ57 right now, so it's not a criticism, but the watch really does have an icy demeanor about it, and I think the same would be true of the AQ4020. They just feel lifeless to me. Kind of like the way Credor watches do.)

    I have a WatchRecon notice on it and I haven't seen too many Chronomasters listed over the past year. So it seems to me that many of the buyers are happy with their purchase.

    (Compare that with the Seiko SBCJ201 or SBGA211, which seems to get a lot of listings, but they probably also get more purchases.)

  9. #8
    Member mpalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Middle of the Middle West
    Posts
    28,502

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Based on the photos, the Chronomaster looks better to my eye. That’s the way I’d lean.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

  10. #9
    tmt
    tmt is offline
    Member tmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    201

    Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

    Quote Originally Posted by nengenes View Post
    Hello everyone!

    I’ve been a citizen(pun intended) in the world of watches now for some years and feel like it’s time I treat myself to a high quality quartz!

    Originally I was set on the Grand Seiko SBGX259 or 269, and hadn’t even considered buying a Citizen watch ever. Well, that didn’t last long after seeing some pictures and articles posted of the Citizen AQ4020-54Y. The Deployant review(https://deployant.com/review-enter-t...-in-the-world/) in particular left me amazed and ready to spend.

    Even though the Chronomaster got everything I’m looking for, I’d like to hear your thoughts before pulling the trigger as I’m certain I’m blinded by love.

    Are there any other HAQs I should consider? Does the SBGX259 surpass the Chronomaster in any areas I’ve overlooked?

    I’m aware the Citizen doesn’t keep the promised +/- 5 SPY for many owners, but that doesn’t bother me.

    Thank you in advance! Looking forward to reading your input.
    Both are very cool watches. A very cool complication The Citizen has is a perpetual calendar.
    As I just got mine a month ago, I'm itching to watch the change from not only leap year, but directly from 29 feb to 1 march, at midnight
    It also has the Eco-drive calibre A60 which will let you forget battery changes.
    The finish has already gotten friends and colleagues at work checking it out, even though I gather the GS has an even better finish.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRHughes View Post
    The Citizens all seem really chilly to me. But the Seikos, they don't really feel that way. (I am wearing a CTQ57 right now, so it's not a criticism, but the watch really does have an icy demeanor about it, and I think the same would be true of the AQ4020. They just feel lifeless to me. Kind of like the way Credor watches do.)

    I have a WatchRecon notice on it and I haven't seen too many Chronomasters listed over the past year. So it seems to me that many of the buyers are happy with their purchase.

    (Compare that with the Seiko SBCJ201 or SBGA211, which seems to get a lot of listings, but they probably also get more purchases.)
    That’s really interesting, I wonder why that is. Do you feel like it’s a quality thing or more just design?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •