Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

Hello everyone!

I’ve been a citizen(pun intended) in the world of watches now for some years and feel like it’s time I treat myself to a high quality quartz!

Originally I was set on the Grand Seiko SBGX259 or 269, and hadn’t even considered buying a Citizen watch ever. Well, that didn’t last long after seeing some pictures and articles posted of the Citizen AQ4020-54Y. The Deployant review(https://deployant.com/review-enter-t...-in-the-world/) in particular left me amazed and ready to spend.

Even though the Chronomaster got everything I’m looking for, I’d like to hear your thoughts before pulling the trigger as I’m certain I’m blinded by love.

Are there any other HAQs I should consider? Does the SBGX259 surpass the Chronomaster in any areas I’ve overlooked?

I’m aware the Citizen doesn’t keep the promised +/- 5 SPY for many owners, but that doesn’t bother me.

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to reading your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barbababa, avusblue and Chaos_meme like this.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Citizen Chronomaster vs 9F Grand Seiko

Have you done any searches in this forum, as we have had Citizen vs GS threads before?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Have you done any searches in this forum, as we have had Citizen vs GS threads before?
    I have, and found the majority of them to be a couple years old at least. I may have overlooked some threads. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look around!
    ronalddheld likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love everything about that Citizen Chronomaster! I think the design is absolutely stunning. And while the Grand Seiko line is known for the exquisite craftsmanship and VHP movement it looks to me like the Citizen is right on par. I'd also take a look a t the Longines Conquest VHP line. A LOT more price friendly and another one worth considering. If price were no object I'd have to go with the Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Budman2k View Post
    I love everything about that Citizen Chronomaster! I think the design is absolutely stunning. And while the Grand Seiko line is known for the exquisite craftsmanship and VHP movement it looks to me like the Citizen is right on par. I'd also take a look a t the Longines Conquest VHP line. A LOT more price friendly and another one worth considering. If price were no object I'd have to go with the Citizen.
    The Longines VHP doesn’t compare. I own one and enjoy it for what it is, but it is a chunky, uneven and unrefined design. I love the GS 9f models and am thoroughly intrigued by the Chronomaster. I won’t buy one without handling it first because I have a sneaking feeling the dial might let me down a bit, but overall the whole washi paper design is by far the most creative of all the HAQs in my opinion. Overall though, GS’s catalogue is deeper and offers more variety. Divers, GMTs, antimagnetics, no-dates, lumed sports watches, and more. I love the sbgv models, especially the 44gs case variants. The Chronomaster might have the best dial, but GS certainly has the best case(s).
    Covenant likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Having owned both The Citizen and a couple of Grand Seikos, my bias is towards GS. Now that GS have introduced IAHH on their latest 9F variant, there's not much that would tempt me back to Citizen. Except, perhaps, an affordable derivative of the 0100...
    Covenant likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

The Citizens all seem really chilly to me. But the Seikos, they don't really feel that way. (I am wearing a CTQ57 right now, so it's not a criticism, but the watch really does have an icy demeanor about it, and I think the same would be true of the AQ4020. They just feel lifeless to me. Kind of like the way Credor watches do.)

I have a WatchRecon notice on it and I haven't seen too many Chronomasters listed over the past year. So it seems to me that many of the buyers are happy with their purchase.

(Compare that with the Seiko SBCJ201 or SBGA211, which seems to get a lot of listings, but they probably also get more purchases.)

Based on the photos, the Chronomaster looks better to my eye. That’s the way I’d lean.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

tmt

Quote Originally Posted by nengenes View Post
    Hello everyone!

I’ve been a citizen(pun intended) in the world of watches now for some years and feel like it’s time I treat myself to a high quality quartz!

Originally I was set on the Grand Seiko SBGX259 or 269, and hadn’t even considered buying a Citizen watch ever. Well, that didn’t last long after seeing some pictures and articles posted of the Citizen AQ4020-54Y. The Deployant review(https://deployant.com/review-enter-t...-in-the-world/) in particular left me amazed and ready to spend.

Even though the Chronomaster got everything I’m looking for, I’d like to hear your thoughts before pulling the trigger as I’m certain I’m blinded by love.

Are there any other HAQs I should consider? Does the SBGX259 surpass the Chronomaster in any areas I’ve overlooked?

I’m aware the Citizen doesn’t keep the promised +/- 5 SPY for many owners, but that doesn’t bother me.

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to reading your input.
    Both are very cool watches. A very cool complication The Citizen has is a perpetual calendar.
    As I just got mine a month ago, I'm itching to watch the change from not only leap year, but directly from 29 feb to 1 march, at midnight
    It also has the Eco-drive calibre A60 which will let you forget battery changes.
    The finish has already gotten friends and colleagues at work checking it out, even though I gather the GS has an even better finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRHughes View Post
    The Citizens all seem really chilly to me. But the Seikos, they don't really feel that way. (I am wearing a CTQ57 right now, so it's not a criticism, but the watch really does have an icy demeanor about it, and I think the same would be true of the AQ4020. They just feel lifeless to me. Kind of like the way Credor watches do.)

I have a WatchRecon notice on it and I haven't seen too many Chronomasters listed over the past year. So it seems to me that many of the buyers are happy with their purchase.

(Compare that with the Seiko SBCJ201 or SBGA211, which seems to get a lot of listings, but they probably also get more purchases.)
    That’s really interesting, I wonder why that is. Do you feel like it’s a quality thing or more just design?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information