This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    257

    This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    I'm really liking a few models:

    AQ4020
    +Beautiful dial, love the washi paper simplicity
    +Slim and trim dimensions
    -Monochromatic... so maybe a tick hard to read at a glance?

    AQ4024
    +The brushed gold tone aids in contrast and makes the dial a little warmer
    -My wedding ring is platinum so the gold tone bezel would contrast
    +/- Duratect is fantastic... but when it eventually wears can the bezel be replaced or re-finished?

    AQ4041
    +Gorgeous sunburst (picture stolen from forum member, thank you!)
    +Love the bracelet
    -Much thicker than the 4020 series

    Right now I have them in rank order, but it's a pretty marginal preference. They all look amazing. Haven't been able to find too many pictures of the 4020-03E (black dial washi paper, no lume), and I'm assuming ordering it on a titanium bracelet would entail an extra expense? That's also sort of in the running. No ability to see these in person so relying entirely on forum pictures! What say you, WUS?

    Name:  AQ4041.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  820.7 KBName:  AQ4020_4024.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  53.3 KBName:  AQ4020.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  153.6 KB
    Ottovonn likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    556

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    4024 much easier to read and pops more than the monochromatic, but very fluid and elegant 4020. The 4041 looks pretty sweet in that photo. None of this helps your question, however. :D

  3. #3
    Member stolen-gmt-master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UTC-5, USA
    Posts
    430

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    Quote Originally Posted by zuckermania View Post
    I'm really liking a few models:

    AQ4020
    +Beautiful dial, love the washi paper simplicity
    +Slim and trim dimensions
    -Monochromatic... so maybe a tick hard to read at a glance?

    AQ4024
    +The brushed gold tone aids in contrast and makes the dial a little warmer
    -My wedding ring is platinum so the gold tone bezel would contrast
    +/- Duratect is fantastic... but when it eventually wears can the bezel be replaced or re-finished?

    AQ4041
    +Gorgeous sunburst (picture stolen from forum member, thank you!)
    +Love the bracelet
    -Much thicker than the 4020 series

    Right now I have them in rank order, but it's a pretty marginal preference. They all look amazing. Haven't been able to find too many pictures of the 4020-03E (black dial washi paper, no lume), and I'm assuming ordering it on a titanium bracelet would entail an extra expense? That's also sort of in the running. No ability to see these in person so relying entirely on forum pictures! What say you, WUS?
    I have the AQ4020-03E, but I prefer my watches to be as thin & lightweight as possible & I'm pretty conservative when it comes to styling, especially when it comes to color (no neon orange or green for me). I also got the AQ4020-03E specifically to be part of my semi-dress watch rotation that I could wear w/a suit. I don't have the best eyesight & have hit the bifocal age bracket, but don't have any problems reading the time except in true darkness. The light weight from the titanium & the thinness of the case are a nice change of pace from the steel tool watches I usually wear. I've posted photos of my AQ4020-03E on WUS (e.g., https://forums.watchuseek.com/f905/w...l#post47914251) & https://forums.watchuseek.com/f905/w...l#post48437519), but they aren't exactly high-resolution close-ups. In real life, IMHO, it's just as pretty as comparable products from Grand Seiko, like the legendary snowflake. As far as accuracy, it's been +1 seconds over a little more than 3 months, so within spec.

    I did get the bracelet as an add-on, but must warn you that you are correct that, like most other watch companies, Citizen (or at least my retailer, Higuchi) charged considerably more for it as a la carte option than when it comes w/a watch, like on the AQ4020-54Y.

    Like you, I had never seen any of the Chronomasters in the metal, but took the risk of ordering online & I'm very satisfied w/my purchase.
    Last edited by stolen-gmt-master; March 25th, 2019 at 22:20. Reason: Added info.
    ------------------------------------

    (Almost) every watch a tool watch.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    HAQ and AW moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,738

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    If you live in the US near Manhattan, you could go to the Citizen store, and look at what they have on display.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    556

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    GMT how do you like your 4020 on the strap? Do you have a photo on wrist?


    Quote Originally Posted by stolen-gmt-master View Post
    I have the AQ4020-03E, but I prefer my watches to be as thin & lightweight as possible & I'm pretty conservative when it comes to styling, especially when it comes to color (no neon orange or green for me). I also got the AQ4020-03E specifically to be part of my semi-dress watch rotation that I could wear w/a suit. I don't have the best eyesight & have hit the bifocal age bracket, but don't have any problems reading the time except in true darkness. The light weight from the titanium & the thinness of the case are a nice change of pace from the steel tool watches I usually wear. I've posted photos of my AQ4020-03E on WUS (e.g., https://forums.watchuseek.com/f905/w...l#post47914251) & https://forums.watchuseek.com/f905/w...l#post48437519), but they aren't exactly high-resolution close-ups. In real life, IMHO, it's just as pretty as comparable products from Grand Seiko, like the legendary snowflake. As far as accuracy, it's been +1 seconds over a little more than 3 months, so within spec.

    I did get the bracelet as an add-on, but must warn you that you are correct that, like most other watch companies, Citizen (or at least my retailer, Higuchi) charged considerably more for it as a la carte option than when it comes w/a watch, like on the AQ4020-54Y.

    Like you, I had never seen any of the Chronomasters in the metal, but took the risk of ordering online & I'm very satisfied w/my purchase.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    257

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    Very very helpful, thank you! Those pictures are excellent. I've owned a few Grand Seikos (a few high beat GMT's, a few 9F's), and it looks to me like Citizen really isn't giving anything up to them. I really dislike being huge premiums for the bracelet so I'm afraid the -53E is going to be disqualified on that basis alone. Shame really, because it looks great.

    Any thoughts on the white 4020 vs 4024?

  8. #7
    Member stolen-gmt-master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UTC-5, USA
    Posts
    430

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    GMT how do you like your 4020 on the strap? Do you have a photo on wrist?
    I actually have yet to put it on the strap. I had Higuchi send it to me w/bracelet already installed & I left the strap in the box w/the warranty papers. It's a nice strap, though, w/a deployant clasp. Somebody posted in another thread a photo of the same model on a rubber strap & it looked fine, so I'm sure it will work on others (19mm straps are more difficult to find, however).

    I find the bracelet to be very comfortable, mainly because it's titanium & very light (not that the bracelet isn't very well-made). It lacks any micro-adjustments, but has 1/2-links--I had a local jeweler size it because I lacked the right double-screwdriver tool. While I appreciate the quality workmanship that Rolex, Damasko, etc., put into their solid-link steel bracelets, they're all too heavy to be truly comfortable. My favorite steel bracelet of all time is the '60s-70s NSA-type w/the spring expansion in the clasp (sadly, I think only Rado uses that design today & they only offer it in 18mm), w/Fixoflex expansion bands as the runner-up.

    As to wrist-shots, no, I don't really do them. As a photographer, the cellphone ones all look horrible to me. Just like any portrait, to get the right proportions, they should be taken from a distance using a normal or telephoto lens & I just can't bring myself to go to that much trouble working w/another photographer or doing a wrist-selfie using a tripod.
    Last edited by stolen-gmt-master; March 26th, 2019 at 05:52.
    ------------------------------------

    (Almost) every watch a tool watch.

  9. #8
    Member stolen-gmt-master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UTC-5, USA
    Posts
    430

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    Quote Originally Posted by zuckermania View Post
    Very very helpful, thank you! Those pictures are excellent. I've owned a few Grand Seikos (a few high beat GMT's, a few 9F's), and it looks to me like Citizen really isn't giving anything up to them. I really dislike being huge premiums for the bracelet so I'm afraid the -53E is going to be disqualified on that basis alone. Shame really, because it looks great.

    Any thoughts on the white 4020 vs 4024?
    You're welcome, happy to help. Per my earlier post, I haven't seen any of these except my 4020-03E, but if you prefer the white dial I say go for it & get it on a bracelet. Sakura has the AQ4020-54Y on sale right now for a little over $2200 (sakura watches) which is just $200 more than the strap version & significantly less than what I paid for my -03E on a bracelet (though it still came w/the strap). I'm personally not a fan of 2-tone watches, but the 4024-53Y is the same price from Sakura as the 4020-54Y.
    Last edited by ronalddheld; March 26th, 2019 at 12:13.
    ------------------------------------

    (Almost) every watch a tool watch.

  10. #9
    Member dicioccio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Roma, ITALIA
    Posts
    858

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    To me the best choice is the AQ4020. I like the AQ4041 but I don't like at all the bracelet. The AQ4024 comes third by far since I don't like gold.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    556

    Re: This or that: Citizen Chronomaster vs... Citizen Chronomaster

    This is a decent video of the 4024 albeit still in stickers https://youtu.be/J1wk8dc1sUU. It's quite nice. Appears much nicer live than in Citizen's rather famously dowdy stock photos.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tomchicago; March 26th, 2019 at 16:18.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 46
      Last Post: December 10th, 2014, 02:06
    2. Citizen Chronomaster ('The Citizen') accuracy
      By RogerE in forum High Accuracy Quartz watches
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: April 26th, 2013, 18:14
    3. Citizen This or That
      By swat93 in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 19th, 2010, 05:57
    4. FS: Near Mint Ti Citizen Chronomaster "The Citizen" CTQ57-0955
      By wsterli in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: December 9th, 2008, 00:00
    5. FS: Near Mint Ti Citizen Chronomaster "The Citizen" CTQ57-0955
      By wsterli in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: December 8th, 2008, 15:29

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •