Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) - this 4 MEGA is mega rare (pun intended) indeed!!!
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) - this 4 MEGA is mega rare (pun intended) indeed!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) - this 4 MEGA is mega rare (pun intended) indeed!!!

Well, I'm just back from a short summer holiday and it's time to share some pictures and info of my Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) with the extremely tight ±3 seconds per year accuracy(!!!) 4.19MHz movement. Yeah, the real thing from 1975. This ±3 seconds per year factory specification for accuracy is still the record holder after 40 years!
    Since I'm not really a watch collector - though I owned some very nice and rare high accuracy quartz watches over the years - I won't keep this watch for long so I better share the pictures of the watch and movement with you till I have the watch...
    So here we go, the mega rare Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650) from 1975, enjoy the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) - this 4 MEGA is mega rare (pun intended) indeed!!!

Thank
    Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    Well, I'm just back from a short summer holiday and it's time to share some pictures and info of my Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) with the extremely tight ±3 seconds per year accuracy(!!!) 4.19MHz movement. Yeah, the real thing from 1975. This ±3 seconds per year factory specification for accuracy is still the record holder after 40 years!
    Since I'm not really a watch collector - though I owned some very nice and rare high accuracy quartz watches over the years - I won't keep this watch for long so I better share the pictures of the watch and movement with you till I have the watch...
    So here we go, the mega rare Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650) from 1975, enjoy the pictures:
    Very nice acquisition! Why is it only temporary one?

I think Hoptroff and Morgenwerk might steal your accuracy title. But if it you like the Citizen or are just flipping it all good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) - this 4 MEGA is mega rare (pun intended) indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    I think Hoptroff and Morgenwerk might steal your accuracy title...
    About the Morgenwerk: I still remember the days (it was not that long ago) when on this high-accuracy forum we did not discuss watches that were "accurate" due to the fact that they were receiving satellite (gps) signals or other form of radio-control (like a radio-controlled Casio). As we put it back then: accurate without external "help" - by its own! Without the external gps signals the Morgenwerk would not be that accurate (same story with my radio-controlled Casio G-Shock without receiving the signals from Frankfurt, Germany).

About the Hoptron: I still remember the days (it was not that long ago) when timepieces with dimensions of 52mm x 42mm x 19.5mm were classified as mini clocks or pocketwatches but certainly not wristwatches... even on the pages of this high-accuracy watch forum...

So those were the days when on this very forum we were discussing high-accuracy watches day by day - pity that you were not participating that time - but things have changed except one: the search engine of the WUS was always and still is very reliable...

And one more thing, just for the records: my 40 years old Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) still performs within factory specifications(!) according to my Rubidium-based analyzer...

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Thank

Very nice acquisition! Why is it only temporary one?
    Thanks, Ron!
    This watch for obvious reasons is a collectors' item. I'm not a collector but occasionally I do aquire timepieces (for temporary ownership) in the name of "science"...
    I just could not rersist the opportunity to put my hands (or rather have it on my wrist) on this significant piece of horological history... and I was curious, very curious and very sceptic about its claimed accuracy performance. Now I'm satisfied and all I can say: Congratulations to Citizen!

Very impressive! How much do people pay for these today?

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    About the Morgenwerk: I still remember the days (it was not that long ago) when on this high-accuracy forum we did not discuss watches that were "accurate" due to the fact that they were receiving satellite (gps) signals or other form of radio-control (like a radio-controlled Casio). As we put it back then: accurate without external "help" - by its own! Without the external gps signals the Morgenwerk would not be that accurate (same story with my radio-controlled Casio G-Shock without receiving the signals from Frankfurt, Germany).

About the Hoptron: I still remember the days (it was not that long ago) when timepieces with dimensions of 52mm x 42mm x 19.5mm were classified as mini clocks or pocketwatches but certainly not wristwatches... even on the pages of this high-accuracy watch forum...

So those were the days when on this very forum we were discussing high-accuracy watches day by day - pity that you were not participating that time - but things have changed except one: the search engine of the WUS was always and still is very reliable...

And one more thing, just for the records: my 40 years old Citizen Crystron 4 MEGA (Cal.8650A) still performs within factory specifications(!) according to my Rubidium-based analyzer...
    With only initialized syncs my MW should around 2s/y. IMO, the main preview of the forum is intrinsic accuracy.

I have to say OP, I read a lot of the older posts, and I think you were around long enough to remember when this was the "High End Quartz" forum and you guys talked about all kinds of watches that weren't even close to high accuracy, Rolex seemed to be a favorite. But like you I prefer discussion on advanced technology.

No offense to the Citizen but I think you might want to look at the size and specs of the Hoptroff. I think TC, 43mm, 13mm, 1 s/yr would be a little more accurate. Not exactly a cheap gshock. Definitely the champ, based on specs.

I agree the Citizen is an interesting piece and leads me to ask how did an owner of the Citizen accurately set the time back in 1975? Telephone?
    dicioccio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    I have to say OP, I read a lot of the older posts, and I think you were around long enough to remember when this was the "High End Quartz" forum and you guys talked about all kinds of watches that weren't even close to high accuracy, Rolex seemed to be a favorite. But like you I prefer discussion on advanced technology.

No offense to the Citizen but I think you might want to look at the size and specs of the Hoptroff. I think TC, 43mm, 13mm, 1 s/yr would be a little more accurate. Not exactly a cheap gshock. Definitely the champ, based on specs.

I agree the Citizen is an interesting piece and leads me to ask how did an owner of the Citizen accurately set the time back in 1975? Telephone?
    Fair enough, after 40 years the Citizen has been surpassed in specification. But some folks here like to say RC and GPS doesn't count because the watch has no inherent accuracy. Well, if we are very strict I think digital TC by means of Digital Count is also cheating, because without the logic table and IC their would not be much accuracy either. The Citizen is still King in my book because all it has is a quartz crystal. And we call it High Accuracy Quartz, not High Accuracy Movement! :-D

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenPromaster View Post
    Fair enough, after 40 years the Citizen has been surpassed in specification. But some folks here like to say RC and GPS doesn't count because the watch has no inherent accuracy. Well, if we are very strict I think digital TC by means of Digital Count is also cheating, because without the logic table and IC their would not be much accuracy either. The Citizen is still King in my book because all it has is a quartz crystal. And we call it High Accuracy Quartz, not High Accuracy Movement! :-D
    Might change the forum name in the future, but renaming to High Accuracy Movements might produce posts about mechanical watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information