Citizen HAQ

Thread: Citizen HAQ

Citizen HAQ

I am struggling to read the time on my AQ4030 at night. The problem is hour and minute hands are so close to markers that it is easy to confuse them when dark. I actually did read time wrong a few times.

I am so spoiled by Oceanus watches, first T2600 now T3000. These never need more than a single quick look to tell you what hour and minute it is. Very well thought through design.

Re: Citizen HAQ

Which dial color do you have? Are you making a comment about the lume not being very strong (and/or eyes not adjusted to read the lume)?
    Otherwise I do not follow what you are saying, as the spacing between the batons and hour markers, and the spacing between the tip of the minute hand and the rehaut looks fairly typical just based on photos. Are the indices not reflective enough?

All OK during the day. Hour hand could be made a little shorter to be perfect.

But lume pattern was designed without a great deal of attention.
    The shape of markers and the shape of lume on each hand are a perfect disaster. When it is 3am, it can be a real puzzle which hand is hours and which is minutes.

Again, my Oceanus watches are the opposite of that. Casio *clearly* has educated dial designers.

PS
    black washi dial
    Last edited by Chasy; September 7th, 2019 at 17:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chasy View Post
    The shape of markers and the shape of lume on each hand are a perfect disaster. When it is 3am, it can be a real puzzle which hand is hours and which is minutes.
    I think this is your watch. It appears from the picture that the hour hand is clearly short of reaching the luminous markers, while the minute hand clearly overlaps them. I see a relatively normal differential in length between the two hands, is there something else that the image doesn't properly convey/represent? I guess the Oceanus has a bit more differential in lengths, but the Citizen doesn't look bad to my eyes.

Name:  aq4030-51e-e_720x.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  15.7 KB

This picture, correct. Looks awesome in semi-lighted room + freshly charged lume.

Now, remove all outside light, reduce glow by perhaps 10-fold to match 3am time and note that the minute hand lume is more narrow that on hours hand.
    Which will make H to glow visibly a bit further from the center compared to M.

End result is one can barely tell H and M apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasy View Post
    This picture, correct. Looks awesome in semi-lighted room + freshly charged lume.

Now, remove all outside light, reduce glow by perhaps 10-fold to match 3am time and note that the minute hand lume is more narrow that on hours hand.
    Which will make H to glow visibly a bit further from the center compared to M.

End result is one can barely tell H and M apart.
    I have zero issues with mine of the sort.

Obviously Citizen has zero issues too.

To an extent it's a matter of being used to a better design offered by Oceanus.
    Not just by Oceanus. Citizen's own $400 BL5440 has lume that is easier to read vs AQ4030. Alas BL5440 has a different flaw: seconds hand counterbalance is white and messes up time reading
    at 5am, when it is semi dark.

In my experience, the only watch that guaranteed 24hr instant time reading under all lighting conditions are Oceanus.

Oceanus is different. Each is sufficient.

I have the Oceanus OCW-S100 and a Seiko GS with lume. Of course the Oceanus has better lume but because the hands are widely painted with lume. A similar design for the Seiko hands would have "ruined" the gorgeous look.

Thread Information