Citizen HAQ black dial
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DayDatenut

Thread: Citizen HAQ black dial

Citizen HAQ black dial

Hi All

I have read numerous posts on this forum from various people and they have been a great help in my decision process. I already have a white dial Grand Seiko SBGX267 and would like to add a black dial watch to complement it. From reading all the posts and looking at pictures the JDM Citizen watches look great and the accuracy and technology seems to be a step above Grand Seiko. Being in the UK I am limited to actually seeing any of the Citizen watches in person, so it makes distinguishing between the models a real pain as I only have pictures to go on.

As stated I want the dial to be black. I am really not a fan of white date wheels on a black watch dial, so those models are out. I am also not bothered by bracelets and will almost certainly wear the watch on a strap so the bracelet quality is not a priority. The front runner at the moment seems to be AQ1010-03e (Pic below):

However I can’t tell from pictures how the side of the case is finished. Does anyone know if it has a polished or brushed finish? I get the impression a lot of the models have a polished finish. Anybody know any models from Citizen that have a brushed finished on the side of the case, as its much more to my taste. A bit like the Omega 2517.50 Aqua Terra below (Another watch possibly in the running):

Please chip in if you think there are other models I should consider. I see the AQ1000 models are cheaper, is there much difference in the case finishing quality to the AQ1010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Citizen HAQ black dial

From a quick Google images search, including online Japanese stores (unfortunately, forum rules prohibit me from posting links), it appears the sides are brushed like the top of the case, w/the beveled/chamfered edges being polished.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

I acquired the two pieces shown below a few months ago. I thought I would like the GS better but it is the Citizen that is becoming 1st choice for me. It is the AQ1000-66E. (GS is SBGT237)

Some differences between the AQ1000-66E vs. AQ1010-03E:
    1. AQ1000-66E case size is slightly smaller than the 1010, 37.2 vs 37.5 mm
    2. AQ1000-66E PR indicator is smaller
    3. AQ1000-66E has luminous hands and markers

I believe they are finished very similarly regarding brushed and polished areas.

(By my timing tests the GS is running at minus 4.6 SPY while the Citizen is +2.3 SPY)I acquired the two pieces shown below a few months ago. I thought I would like the GS better but it is the Citizen that is becoming 1st choice for me. It is the AQ1000-66E. (GS is SBGT237)

Some differences I notice between the AQ1000-66E vs. AQ1010-03E:
    1. AQ1000-66E case size is slightly smaller than the 1010, 37.2 vs 37.5 mm
    2. AQ1000-66E PR indicator is smaller
    3. AQ1000-66E has luminous hands and markers

I believe they are finished very similarly regarding brushed and polished areas.

(By my timing tests the GS is running at minus 4.6 SPY while the Citizen is +2.3 SPY)

Good Luck with your selection

Name:  black dials.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  2.78 MB
    espiga likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These are my thoughts. Despite the overmentioned technical characteristics of the Citizen over the GS (IAHH, PC and solar charge), from a pure aesthetical point of view I like the GS more. The hands are more elaborated and the case is abit more elegant. The date window not only contains the weekday (a very rare things nowadays - I don't know why) but looks also bigger or at least easier to be read. The lack of lume is not very important for such a dressy watch, in my opinion.

Thread Information