Citizen's new releases with Caliber 0100S
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Citizen's new releases with Caliber 0100S

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Citizen's new releases with Caliber 0100S

Just came across this sponsored post on ABTW, never posted before (lurked for ages!) but thought this warranted it.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen...atch-movement/

Can't wait to see what watches they put these movements in and whether they will be more available than the chronomasters and exceeds.

Technologically speaking, this looks pretty awesome. I thought most watch companies were luke warm on developing new HAQs, let alone going down the high frequency route.

What do you lot think?
    HAQless collector

Re: Citizen Cal.0100 Eco-drive - 8.4MHz

I love my Citizen Chronomaster. It's one of my favorite watches and I wear it almost as much as I wear my SubC. It's definitely my go to watch when I don't want to have a Rolex on display, and it's accuracy is something I can always count on. It has the A660 movement that even tracks the leap years and I only change the time when going to and from DST.

Thank you for sharing this new Citizen technology. It's quite amazing that they can produce a solar powered watch that can, on it's own and no external syncing, can boast +/-1 spy... WOW!!

As an avid user of the Chronomaster, I'm VERY interested.
    Shark-sandwich likes this.
    excuse the bad iPhone shot.

HAQ and AW moderator

Interested in learning more details. Wonder if battery life necessitated Eco-Drive?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I started learning about HAQs after buying a couple of inexpensive automatic watches around Christmas 2016 (Seiko SKZ211 "landshark" and a Citizen eagle 7 something-or-other off the 'bay)

While I'm happy with the watches and didn't expect much, I didnt realise how irritating it was to constantly make little adjustments when (especially with the seiko's 7s35) lost about 3-4 minutes a week. Add to that they both don't hack, and have very ordinary power reserves.

I had always worn an admittedly poor quality Mondaine quartz and just got accustomed to setting the watch and leaving it until the DST changes.

Anyway to a cut what's becoming a very long and dull story short, HAQ.watch and WUS are slowly teaching me all about these remarkable watches.

I just wish there were more on the market! I've not got a huge budget but I was saving the pennies for a sbgx091 or a Citizen, if I could find one newish on the Japanese market sites when the time came.

I don't expect them to be cheap, but if a Cal.0100 watch could be worn for decades and still be losing less time than my seiko does in a day - worth it!
    VoxVirtus and Nuketroop like this.
    HAQless collector

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Interested in learning more details. Wonder if battery life necessitated Eco-Drive?
    Are megahertz frequency watches more power thirsty than thermocompensated ones?

I think i read somewhere that economic drive batteries need to replaced after a set period as they wear out, but on balance no battery changes every few years is such a good feature.
    HAQless collector

Wow, just saw it on ablogtowatch myself, hopefully they put it in the wrist watch ASAP because I want one unless the price will be above 1k
    Last edited by Igorek; March 22nd, 2018 at 06:15.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Likely not. For example, I have a few Citizen watches, a glorified 3 hander that has a perpetual calendar and a RC controlled chronograph. The power reserve for the 3 hander is 1 year, a comparable quartz 3 hander with perpetual calendar using a regular silver-oxide battery would likely last 3-5 years. And to get that 1 yr. life you'd have to stick the watch in the dark, which would stop the sweep second hand to conserve energy. The silver oxide powered watch would still have a ticking second hand. My guess is instead of the typical 3-5 yr. battery life common in most quartz watches these days the silver-oxide cell would yield 1-2 yrs. tops. So, with EcoDrive their routine 1-1.5yr. "reserve" would be reduced to 3-6 months. Still not shabby. Again, this is all a guess based on present technology in EcoDrive products and comparable quartz watches with throw-away batteries.

Now of course what that solar power buys you is pretty much zero maintenance or care operating the watch, never need to change batteries (so the case back doesn't have those marks anymore!!), the thing is always running. THIS is why I love the two Citizen watches I have, same for my wife. Even though she has Longines Master Collection auto and an Omega AT, her Citizen is her "go to" watch. 5 years old and never missed a beat, never needs attention. Even if this new movement is 2-3x off their spec that's damned impressive and I'd dare say Citizen's offering will hit their claimed targets. Every one of their watches in my household is easily a 5 sec/month watch so they seem to get how to trim a movement.

I do have a few questions though:

First, I wonder if they took any of the ideas they used to develop the 262kHz movements for Bulova. So far the 262kHz movements in my small collection are typically within easily under +2 sec/month, maybe they used some of that learning here.

Then there's this tidbit from the article:

Perhaps most notably, AT-cut variations allow for greater temperature tolerances, specifically in the range of -40°C to +125°C. Additionally, this configuration allows for reduced deviations caused by wearer orientation, which can cause significant changes in accuracy that aren't negligible when attempting this kind of performance. As a result, wearers will not have to worry about errors caused by spatial orientation and positioning becomes less of a concern.

Could this be why the Longines and Certina TC controlled watches don't always meet their claimed specs? I didn't know that quartz crystals had a positional variation. Interesting that it has very similar shock-protection features in the Longines VHP line. They also will likely get an extremely smooth sweep second hand since the 262kHz Bulovas can do it already, unless that costs too much energy. that's one big advantage to EcoDrive, they can eat some more power than a typical throw-away battery since you've got a power source that's "on" all the time, the light in the room. I'd also bet that Citizen will have an owner's manual to explain how to use the watch on the day they're introduced (I had to get that dig in!!). I will say their manuals are fantastic, they also put up videos on their web page for more complex watches, they are tops when it comes to documentation. Longines could take some lessons here.

What will the design look like? This is where the Swiss have it all over the Japanese. Too many of the Seiko and Citizen designs are plain UGLY. And what's this bugger going to cost? Will it be in the Grand Seiko price range or even worse, a JDM product only. I sure hope not!

This all should be very, very interesting. I can't wait to see what they'll case this movement in, I just hope it isn't an overly big/thick beast. Citizen has a massive distribution network and a good name in the market so they could put a hurt not on the on the Swiss but Seiko too IF they put out some top-flight designs.
    Last edited by tmathes; March 22nd, 2018 at 06:28.
    Igorek and SlowRunner like this.

Looking forward to this caliber being released. If fitted with a Perpetual Calendar it would a No Brainer to buy one of these for set and forget functionality. Changing it 2 twice a for Daylight Saving would be no problem for me.

heb

One second a year. Yeah, right.
    brandon\ likes this.

Well, I'm sold. Looks like I can ditch the 4 MHz collection; it's 8 MHz all the way for me, now!
    gaijin and dicioccio like this.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information