Crystron 4 Mega suddenly -5.8hpd
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Crystron 4 Mega suddenly -5.8hpd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crystron 4 Mega suddenly -5.8hpd

Well this was a bad morning...

My crystron 4 mega (7370) has suddenly started running hours slow per day. As far as I can tell it must have only started in the last day, as the date was correct this morning. Testing with a metronome, the rate currently appears to be pretty steady at around 45.5 ticks per sixty seconds.

What on Earth could have happened? I tried installing a new battery, but same behavior. The watch hasn't suffered any drops or knocks, extreme temperatures, etc. Before this it had been running at a very happy 20spy.

Any ideas or suggestions? Help me f9, you're my only hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Re: Crystron 4 Mega suddenly -5.8hpd

Very sorry to hear that a fellow Crystron 4 Mega owner is having such a problem. Unfortunately my expertise is limited to "is there any chance that water got into it?".

If no-one can give you any good pointers, you could always send it off to Citizen and see what they can do with it. I know they have expressed a willingness to work on my 4 Megas in the past. May have to go back to Japan, though.
    GreenHex likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by nycddancer View Post
    Well this was a bad morning...

First things first: Let it continue for a few days. It it is the battery, it'll soon be obvious.

Adjusting the rate lately?
    Does it have an adjust screw that might have gone dodgy? In that case I would try to just touch it. One tap to dislodge dirt. If that doesn't do it, the tiniest movement you can muster.

Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
    Adjusting the rate lately?
    Does it have an adjust screw that might have gone dodgy? In that case I would try to just touch it. One tap to dislodge dirt. If that doesn't do it, the tiniest movement you can muster.
    Thanks. The covers on the screws in the back are in place. I poked at them lightly with a plastic stick and they didn't seem to move. If the issue persists removing the covers and fidgeting with the screws is an option - I'm sure someone here is familiar with their function on the 7370D.

But I'll certainly be monitoring the rate and this forum for a few days at least, and probably taking to citizen, before it comes to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Of the two visible screws on the case back, the one nearer the rim is for rate adjustment. The other one is the 64 Hz test terminal.

If the rate doesn't change over the next day or so, you might want to try twiddling the trimmer ever so slightly, but I am concerned that this might not be addressing the underlying problem as you have already mentioned that the screws on the case back are tight, so it is unlikely that the trimmer has been accidentally turned recently.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

HAQ and AW moderator

I have no good suggestion that has not been posted. Maybe some component is starting to die? Some electronic glitch in the IC? Maybe time for it to visit Japan?
    GreenHex likes this.

If it is not the battery then it could be dried/glued ointment in the mechanical section.
    Try this: pull the crown to the second stop and move the watch 72 hours forward then back via the crown.
    The above exercise might spread smooth the glued/dried ointment that is holding back the movement.
    Good luck and keep us updated!
    GreenHex likes this.

That's a beauty imo...I brushed out polished sides of case and it's sweeping seconds hand is very nice. Very reasonable price too. It's a keeper
    Attached Images Attached Images

When was the last time it was serviced? Before mine was done, the battery drain was nuts

Thanks all for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make any progress. I've tried moving the hands back and forth, changing the battery a few times, running at different temperatures in the incubator, and staring sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    When was the last time it was serviced? Before mine was done, the battery drain was nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    If no-one can give you any good pointers, you could always send it off to Citizen and see what they can do with it. I know they have expressed a willingness to work on my 4 Megas in the past. May have to go back to Japan, though.
    Do either of you have contacts for how to move this towards being serviced? I can start with Citizen USA's service depot phone number but not sure based on what I've read that that's the best starting point. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information