Custom HAQ Watch Features Question
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Custom HAQ Watch Features Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom HAQ Watch Features Question

Gents I might be on to having a custom HAQ produced with either of these movements: https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...latline-e63171 or, without moonphase: https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...latline-e63111.

The watch will be a thinner style, office/dress watch on a strap with clear caseback. Dial / hands will be high contrast lume. The goal is supreme, instant legibility of a no-nonsense, sharp-looking HAQ. Any other suggestions? I'm producing it for myself, but I'm curious if you have any other suggestions. If you like the watch when it's done I could put you in touch with the maker. Thanks.

Re: Custom HAQ Watch Features Question

Not sure it's possible. I'm thinking go with a marine chronometer look...but looking at some pics and thinking of the period...they're subdial seconds, not center seconds. But Roman numerals in the marine style isn't instantly synonymous with accuracy.

Hmm.

How about a marino chrono basic layout...nice railroad tracks always look good. Romans at II, IV, VIII, and X? Leaves 2 nice areas, near 12 and 6. For one, perhaps a quartz crystal. For the other...an oscilloscope trace beat trace, to suggest the precision. 2 or 3 clean pulses. OR, go full marine chrono, all 12 numbers...but keep them relatively compact. The typography can make a huge difference.

BTW, I'd absolutely skip the moonphase; first, it's adding a lot of thickness (if you wanna go thin), it's eating up room for any symbology you want...and IMO, worst, a moon phase display is antithetical to stating "this is ACCURATE!!" Cuz the moon phase *isn't*. I'm not talking the cyclic rate error...I figure it's just doing the standard 29.5 day period...but you can't really tell the phase all that well. So it's a nice general indicator...but that, as I say, is the opposite message from what you want.

If you're going lume...on a marine chrono dial as I mentioned, I'd make the lume a slender trace in the railroad track. 2 colors of lume...?

Dial color...office says white, blue, or black. Black dial (with white track/indices) allows straightforward steel hands which go with lume pretty well. But it stays legible. Another trick, for black or blue hands, is one I think Ball uses...in their case, a short, narrow tube on each hand. On both hands, it's just relatively near the tip.
    tomchicago and Nokie like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Thinking silver or white dial, black painted hands with lume. Dial print black. Arabic numerals or possibly applied black painted hour indices. The moon is kinda fun. I have a moon phase clock and I like it a lot. Only adds 1mm of thickness.
    Last edited by tomchicago; December 27th, 2019 at 08:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I kinda liked them, but...that disk has no detail, and it never shows phase in a visual sense. It's more like the orbital aspect.

And if you see some of the *serious* interpretations...even of just the disk...like the Arnold, or the rotating ones that DO show the phase...YMMV, but the tiny little disks look *cheap* to me.

The accuracy, if it is 29.5 days...the battery life's given as 57 months. The synodic month is 29.5 days...plus 45 minutes. (Close enough.) So the error per year is 9 hours. With 5 year battery life, you're at about a day and a half off.

Doesn't speak to accuracy to me. I wouldn't care, normally; it's not that big a deal given the representational error anyway...but you want to express accuracy.

AND it consumes the entire lower half of the dial...you haven't mentioned dial/case sizes, but I'm thinking it'll be on the smaller side, as a dressier watch? I'd definitely suggest a to-scale visualizer to lay out the rest of the elements, with a real-size final approval....
    tomchicago likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I have thought about a custom HAQ in the past, but for me the problem is the lack of independently adjustable hour hand in almost all of ETA's current line-up. Honestly, this DST thing is almost enough to make me want to move back to Hong Kong where the clocks stay the se all year round. Still doesn't help with travel, though.

Good luck with the project, though. I think we need to see more people getting into project HAQs.
    tomchicago likes this.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

HAQ and AW moderator

I would not get the moonphase. Arabics all aligned up and down. Railroad tracks. Thin hands if they could be well lumed. Silver or white dial, with applied numbers(if not too expensive)
    tomchicago likes this.

Dial is going to be white with painted black arabic numerals and railroad tics. Can you suggest some arabic numeral fonts?

HAQ and AW moderator

How about Portugueser fonts? Have to think about others..
    tomchicago likes this.

If it was my design I would go for The moon phase and an enamel painted dial with a saturated color in either blue, green, or burgundy.

The date wheel would be painted to match the dial, numerals painted white.

In laid indexes in silver and lume, or if printed bright white markers.

For hands go dramatic and elegant, and again lumed.

At the moonphase just the cutout same as Certina with no printing around it. And the moonphase dual painted same color, bright white moon and stars painted with super luminova.

Essentially a jacked up IWC Portofino. Take a look at that watch in blue. Yours good look better with an enamel dial and those hands.
    tomchicago likes this.

Watch is going to be an office "workhorse" HAQ. White dial, painted black arabic numerals. Black hands, red green or orange seconds hand with date a 3 o'clock. The Montserrat font looks good. I like the IWC portugueser font can anyone find the name of the font?
    ronalddheld likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information