Development of a Low Cost, High Accuracy HAQ Rate Measurement Systen
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Development of a Low Cost, High Accuracy HAQ Rate Measurement Systen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Development of a Low Cost, High Accuracy HAQ Rate Measurement Systen

I tried to keep this brief, but failed. I've really got to learn to not try to say everything in one post.

goal:
    • Create a low cost, accurate measurement system for evaluating (and possibly regulating) HAQ watches
    • Improve on the precision/accuracy of video methods, and at a lower cost
    • Make it easier than the manual stopwatch method
    • Where possible, use free and/or open source tools, and ideally something that will work on my Linux development system, as well as being useful for people on Windows systems (and maybe Mac too).

references and inspiration

method
    • use a computer sound-card for a cheap and accessible sampling system. My computer's built in sound-card supports 192KHz sampling, giving a resolution of around 5 microseconds. 96/48/44.1 kHz will probably work fine as well. This is better time resolution than video methods even at 240fps, and assuming most people have access to a computer, it is cheaper than buying a camera
    • use a hobbyist GPS unit for an affordable and accurate timebase reference. Adafruit sells a unit for around $40 that has a pulse-per-second (PPS) output that is accurate to 20 nsec when the GPS has a fix. Note that the sound-card time resolution will be the limiting factor. NOTE: The biggest weakness of this approach is the cost of the GPS, and the need to do some simple soldering to connect it.
    • A python script was written using pyaudio to read the sound-card data, analyze it for PPS pulses and watch ticks, and calculate timing data in a format suitable for further analysis. This should work on Linux and Windows platforms, and hopefully Mac too! I don't think I can inline the source, but it is available here: http://aa1i.net/haq/haqpps.zip

equipment
    • Adafruit ultimate GPS breakout https://www.adafruit.com/products/746
    • stereo to mono splitter "breakout" adapter/cable. I used a Hosa YMM-261 off Amazon for a few bucks, but there are many similar ones available for cheap. Make sure it is a stereo->L/R breakout, not a Y-splitter (stereo->2xstereo)
    • Headphone volume control used as inline attenuator for PPS pulses. I used a Radio Shack 42-2559 'Volume control 8" (20.3cm) headphone extension cord'. The important part is the volume control, not the extension cord.

optional equipment
    • external amplified GPS antenna
    • adapter cable from GPS board to connector for antenna
    • Various stereo mini patch cables
    • various resistors to make voltage divider to step down PPS voltage
    • PPS LED and current limiting resistor - nice for hacking watches.
    • USB powered hub. I used a unit from plugable that is recommended.

implementation

Hook-up is very similar to Igna's setup, except that instead of using a microphone (or direct line connection) from the time.is "beep", I used the PPS output of the GPS.

Some simple soldering is required to hack up a mini-stereo cable and connect it to the PPS pin on the GPS module. Since the PPS pulse is actively driven by the GPS, I used a stereo jack for this connection. I'm afraid of the bare stereo plug brushing against something and causing a short that burns out the PPS pin. Using the jack end of a cable here makes this idiot-resistant I used a short stereo mini patch cable to connect the PPS jack to the headphone volume control.

Using a computer USB cable to power the GPS seems to make so much noise that the measurements are useless. I've had good luck with a powered USB hub made by "Plugable". The GPS is still attached to a Raspberry PI computer from a different/unrelated project. I might get better noise performance by taking the unnecessary Raspberry Pi out of the setup, and powering the GPS directly from USB power, or perhaps a 5V bench supply. Adafruit also sells an affordable USB to serial breakout that can connect to the pin header on the GPS and provide power from the USB port. I haven't tested this yet, but it should work.

The PPS output of the GPS is at a a higher level than the microphone input of sound-card can handle. I placed a headphone volume control inline to cut the level down. I have also been playing with a resistive voltage divider, but this requires soldering and I have yet to find resistor values that allow me to get rid of the volume control. Without the voltage divider, the volume control needs to be set to near minimum volume. With my current voltage divider (30kohm/1Kohm) I use about half volume. Ideally I'd like full volume/no volume control, but I'm not there yet. I admit to resorting to try-and-fail when I should have gone with measure-and-engineer.

The sound-card's microphone input is AC-coupled, which distorts the rectangular PPS pulse so that it looks like the top plot in this [The bottom plot is a watch stepper motor pulse captured from the Igna inductive pickup]:
    Name:  2015_1210_firstpps.gif
Views: 322
Size:  15.8 KB

I have been unable to figure out an (easy) way to eliminate this distortion. I've seen some online posts on using a VCO, but the program detects the PPS pulses just fine anyway, so I don't see the need for that complexity.

I routed the PPS signal through the volume control and into the R channel ("R" for "Right" and "Reference") of the breakout cable. I routed the watch pulse inductive pickup to the L channel (sorry, no catchy phrase for this one...).

Setting the microphone gain levels correctly via your computer's sound control panel is important. I had a gnuradio installation handy, and this made it easy to mock-up an audio input source to a time domain plot sink that allowed me to set mic gains and observe waveforms in near real-time. I expect this approach is not suitable for most people. You are free to use any audio program that is convenient to you. Perhaps I can add some plotting functions to the python script.

If you set the mic gain too high, the PPS pulse will saturate/clip and look like this:
    Name:  pps-clipping.gif
Views: 314
Size:  12.7 KBName:  pps-severe-clipping.gif
Views: 313
Size:  12.6 KB

Try placing the inductive pickup at various places on or near the seconds hand movement until a maximum signal is found.

Current detection thresholds are at half scale (0.5). I toyed with dynamically setting the thresholds based on the amplitudes of both signals, but it seems easier to set the mic gains to optimal levels. An absolute value function is used, so both positive and negative pulses can be detected. Most watches seem to have a "tick" and a "tock" pulse train that are mirror images of each other.

Plots with a good pickup signal:

Name:  pickup.gif
Views: 315
Size:  13.6 KBName:  pickup-zoom.gif
Views: 317
Size:  15.2 KB

I found I had to use quite a bit of gain on the inductive pickup. This means more noise is present in the samples. If the gain is set too high, noise can trigger the pulse detection, leading to bad measurements. Setting the mic gain so that the watch pulse is just slightly above the detection threshold seems to minimize these spurious samples, but at the cost of slightly more jitter in the detection of the pulse time.

I seem to get better results with this slight jitter. Even a single spurious watch pulse detection throws off the average offset calculation noticeably, while the jittery pulses seem to average out. The initial pulses in the train are steep, so this jitter is slight.

It might be possible to hand-wind an inductive pickup that is more sensitive for lower noise, but [edit] the telephone pickup suggested by Igna[/edit] really wins on low cost and ease of use.

I found my sound-card sampling rate was not exactly 192000 samples/s. The script uses the time between PPS pulses to calculate the exact sample rate. Using an average allows this to be measured more accurately than an integer number of samples. In my case, the sound card seems to run at 192004.3 samples/s. The program only detects pulses on integer samples, and then uses this averaged sample rate to convert to time values. Sometimes I get 192004, sometimes I get 192005, but they average out to 192004.3 .

I believe there are techniques that allow detecting the time of the pulses to a resolution better than a single sample (windowing?), but I don't think that level of resolution is needed. Integer samples at 192KHz are just fine.

Once a PPS pulse and a watch pulse are detected, the time offset between them is calculated. Some sample output from verbose mode is below:

003233970 16.843210 tic 72658 0.378418
    003353316 17.464790 PPS 192004 0.999998
    003425952 17.843095 tic 72636 0.378304
    003545320 18.464790 PPS 192004 0.999998
    003617937 18.842997 tic 72617 0.378205
    003737325 19.464795 PPS 192005 1.000003
    003809920 19.842882 tic 72595 0.378090
    003809920 19.842882 offset 0.377682
    003809920 19.842882 rate -2.859993e-06 spd -0.247103 spy -90.192734

first column is sample count, second is time in seconds. PPS is for PPS ref pulses, with sample count from last pulse and time in seconds since last pulse. Note how is bounces between 192004 and 192005. tic is for a watch tick, with an offset from the last PPS pulse given in samples and seconds. In this case the watch tick is 378 msec after the PPS pulse. Note that this is only fractional seconds. The stopwatch method is still needed to figure out how many integer seconds the watch is off, but this method should provide a good measuremnt of the fractional portion.

When an inhibition period is complete, an average offset is calculated (in this case 377.682 milliseconds). If a previous offset is available, it is used to make an estimate of rate - in this case -2.859993e-06 seconds/s, and also scaled to -0.247 spd and -90 spy [this is obviously not a HAQ - it is my beater/tester Casio Edifice]. Better results can be obtained by performing a linear fit on the offset data that is saved to a file, but this measurment may be useful as a quick peek for regulating a watch.

The PPS offsets are averaged over the inhibition period. My current collection has watches with inhibition periods of 10, 60, and 480(960?) seconds.

There is some primitive error handling to detect the loss of the PPS reference pulse. When this occurs, the averaging buffers are reset. Averages are only reported when a full un-interrupted inhibition period of data is available. Note that as long as an exact inhibition period is averaged, it doesn't matter where in the inhibition cycle the average is started.

The raw watch tick PPS offsets are saved to a file. The average offsets calculated over the inhibition period are saved to another file.

demonstration

I dump the data to a text file, and for convenience have been using Gnuplot to calculate the linear fits to rate and make the graphs. If anyone is interested, I will share my gnuplot commands. Perhaps in the future the graphs can be generated from within the python code automatically.

Here's a sample run on my C7 COSC chronometer:
    Name:  c7cosc_2015_1216_1000_ticks.gif
Views: 286
Size:  15.4 KBName:  c7cosc_2015_1216_1000_rate.gif
Views: 292
Size:  5.1 KB

I'll try to post some more plots of results on various (non-HAQ) watches in follow-up posts.

Appendix:

It seems someone on another forum has a much more polished solution for using a microphone to regulate a mechanical watch: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/open...e-2542874.html
    Last edited by jisham; December 18th, 2015 at 18:47. Reason: changed to telephone pickup suggested by Igna
    Tom-HK, igna and Miguel like this.

Re: Development of a Low Cost, High Accuracy HAQ Rate Measurement Systen

Great report and explanations!

So the last graph (inhibitions average) shows about 5 ms offset in 8000 secs, that translates into ~19.7 SPY ... Is that correct? because its about double of 10 SPY ETA

Im looking into your python script!! I don't have a GPS-PPS but im looking to use it in combination with my setup.

I think a clarification is need towards readers looking to build your setup:

You say watch pulse is "captured from the Igna inductive pickup" and its really is "captured from the telephone inductive pickup"

From "The Big Bang Theory:"

Mary: I have been telling you since you were four years old, it's okay to be smarter than everybody else, but you can't go around pointing it out.
    Sheldon: Why?
    Mary: Because people don't like it!

Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    From "The Big Bang Theory:"

Mary: I have been telling you since you were four years old, it's okay to be smarter than everybody else, but you can't go around pointing it out.
    Sheldon: Why?
    Mary: Because people don't like it!

Sorry, didnt get the joke. ( for non english its harder to understand)

Back to the script:

I ts very usefull. It avoud using audacity and manyally measuring the offset between a EMP and the reference signal.

So, after using the script sending into right channel the NTP-BEEPS (instead the GPS-PPS) all works fine. The spy estimations every 10 seconds are meaningless because the reference pulse (beeps) are not enough stable, but the offset reading it is what I need.

Actually my readings need to be 1 second - offset. For example, the DS-2 at one point is 102 ms ahead real time, and I get form your script 0.898 offset ( that is the offset to the next reference pulse). So I edited line 159 and 160:

into:

Name:  change.png
Views: 224
Size:  6.4 KB

Now I can measure time offset of several watches in a couple of minutes. No need of audacity. just 2 scrips, swing watches under telephone pickup about 30 seconds and plug data into a spreadsheet !

Is not as precise as the GPS, and I don't care inhibition periods. So the data obtained can be about 25 ms (NTP error + inhibitions offset). A precise replacement for the stopwatch method.

Thanks Jisham!

Edit: code was broken (even I copy and paste) Now posted an image.
    Last edited by igna; December 18th, 2015 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by igna View Post
    Sorry, didnt get the joke. ( for non english its harder to understand)
    From the TV show, the smart kid's Mom is telling him not to show how smart he is because it makes the "less smart" kids envious and they tend to give him trouble.

A tongue in cheek compliment to the OP.
    igna likes this.
    Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

Great report and explanations!

So the last graph (inhibitions average) shows about 5 ms offset in 8000 secs, that translates into ~19.7 SPY ... Is that correct? because its about double of 10 SPY ETA
    You gave me a good scare there and I had to double check everything. It's 0.5 msec over about 8000 seconds, which comes out a little closer to spec

Im looking into your python script!! I don't have a GPS-PPS but im looking to use it in combination with my setup.

I think a clarification is need towards readers looking to build your setup:

You say watch pulse is "captured from the Igna inductive pickup" and its really is "captured from the telephone inductive pickup"
    Edit made. Just wanted to give credit to the original idea.

I ts very usefull. It avoud using audacity and manyally measuring the offset between a EMP and the reference signal.
    Thank you. That was my intent.

So, after using the script sending into right channel the NTP-BEEPS (instead the GPS-PPS) all works fine. The spy estimations every 10 seconds are meaningless because the reference pulse (beeps) are not enough stable, but the offset reading it is what I need.
    The PPS reference does make things a bit more stable. The "snapshot" estimates on my HAQ do bounce around a bit, and that's why I went with the linear fit of the data. For my non-HAQ watches at 60-120 spy, the estimates actually seem pretty good as long as the inhibition interval is set right. Probably good enough to regulate, if the watch allowed it.

Actually my readings need to be 1 second - offset. For example, the DS-2 at one point is 102 ms ahead real time, and I get form your script 0.898 offset ( that is the offset to the next reference pulse). So I edited line 159 and 160:
    I thought about wrapping to +-500msec. Just map to the closest second.

I haven't hit this yet, as most of my watches are slightly behind since I just re-set them recently as I was working on this and they haven't had time to drift closer to the next second yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    A tongue in cheek compliment to the OP.
    Thank you. For a minute there I thought you were picking on me!

Quote Originally Posted by jisham View Post
    Thank you. That was my intent.

The PPS reference does make things a bit more stable. The "snapshot" estimates on my HAQ do bounce around a bit, and that's why I went with the linear fit of the data. For my non-HAQ watches at 60-120 spy, the estimates actually seem pretty good as long as the inhibition interval is set right. Probably good enough to regulate, if the watch allowed it.

I thought about wrapping to +-500msec. Just map to the closest second.

I haven't hit this yet, as most of my watches are slightly behind since I just re-set them recently as I was working on this and they haven't had time to drift closer to the next second yet.
    Hi

About the Pickup, I understand its because credit (thanks) but is better now for better understanding.

About the reference pulse:
    Its clear the reference is the "next second" and it makes sense if you have a watch a behind time. But it really does not matter, the solution is printing the offset and 1s - offset and use the one needed.

Agree the PPS will give good estimation. Just sharing that your code can simplify the task (avoiding audacity) in the method I described. I will look forward to get a PPS!

I went with wrapping it to the nearest PPS pulse (+- 0.5sec):

Code:
                         if INHIBITION == len(sw_avg):
                             avg_offset=math.fsum(sw_avg)/float(INHIBITION)
                             # normalize/un-wrap to +- 0.5 second from reference pulse
                             if avg_offset > 0.5:
                               avg_offset=avg_offset-1.0
                             print '{0:09d.. {1:f.. offset {2:f..'.format(
                                 sample_count,cur_clock,avg_offset)
    I believe this is the correct sign convention... if the watch ticks before the PPS pulse, it is negative, watch ticking after PPS pulse is positive.

This should also work with using other methods (eyeball, stopwatch, video) to find the nearest second, and then use pulses, either time.is or preferably PPS, to get the fine offset from the nearest second.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information