ETA - HEAVY DRIVE
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gangrel

Thread: ETA - HEAVY DRIVE

ETA - HEAVY DRIVE

Hi Guys,

I think you guys will like this:

ETA SA, a company of Swatch Group, is introducing an exclusive new technology to its quartz movements. HeavyDrive technology enables intelligent shock management for the second's hand and is opening up new possibilities for hand design.

After the launch of PowerDrive and PreciDrive in 2013, the manufacturer of Swiss Made movements is reinforcing its quartz movement range by offering a third exclusive technology. As its name indicates, HeavyDrive refers directly to hand unbalances. A new integrated circuit (IC) is behind this technology, which enables detection then intelligent shock management. If this occurs, the IC will instruct the motor to send a force to counter that induced by the shock in order to lock the second's hand in place during the impact. This counter-impulse prevents the hand from accidentally jumping and reduces weight restrictions for its implementation. HeavyDrive therefore tolerates a significantly higher unbalance than ordinary hands: the second hand's permitted unbalance is increased by 200% and the minute hand's permitted unbalance is increased by 20%. This means that the HeavyDrive technology invites designers to be creative, enabling them to use shapes and materials which have thus far remained undeveloped.

In addition, this latest-generation IC reacts in just a few microseconds (a hundred times faster than an airbag is deployed) for shocks suffered during typical watch use. The effective nature of this reaction (only activated when required) helps to preserve the movement's autonomy.

HeavyDrive technology is currently available in movements from the Trendline collection and will be incorporated into other collections from next year onwards. It can also be paired with PreciDrive technology to combine robustness with extremely high precision.

Re: ETA - HEAVY DRIVE

They already are. The 4xx's are generally PreciDrive.

We'll have to see; who's gonna do fancier/heavier hands? The F-series movements are, I believe, primarily limited to Swatch brands. That means Certina and Longines...and the latter is sticking with an A31-based at this point. Rado, maybe, but they haven't done anything with TC that I can recall.

Now here's an interesting, probably closely related nugget:

https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...ents/trendline

EVERY 3-hander, center seconds is going bye-bye, and being replaced with a HeavyDrive. So maybe they'll expand the offerings, given that they're 100% committed to this.
    ronalddheld likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Maybe it was just important for the Certina line. Since the quartz watches are now all COSC, they have to meet the shock requirements. Seems like a one for one upgrade to the movements in that line, but the three other lines seem to be unaffected. Don't forget Tissot also has a few COSC pieces.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That sounds like the Longines VHP movement.

There goes Longines' statement that ETA had developed it exclusively for them. Not that I believed that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    Maybe it was just important for the Certina line. Since the quartz watches are now all COSC, they have to meet the shock requirements. Seems like a one for one upgrade to the movements in that line, but the three other lines seem to be unaffected. Don't forget Tissot also has a few COSC pieces.
    Tissot dropped the PR 100 quartz COSC versions. Some are still out there, but they're no longer up on the web site (us.tissotshop).

Quote Originally Posted by jthole View Post
    That sounds like the Longines VHP movement.

There goes Longines' statement that ETA had developed it exclusively for them. Not that I believed that anyway.
    No it doesn't.

It sounds like *one feature* of the Longines movement...which has several more that aren't carrying over.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    No it doesn't.

It sounds like *one feature* of the Longines movement...which has several more that aren't carrying over.
    True, I should have said "technology so far exclusively used for Longines".

But I still have no doubt that all the VHP features (GPD, quick hands movement, perpetual calendar) will turn up in other ETA movements as well.

Most likely, eventually.

It'd be stupid to invest that much effort and not use it as much as you can.

Trendline is the simplest, entry-level quartz. One thing this does, in the basic-quartz space, is give them a valuable, useful feature they can sell outside the group. Personally, I think Swatch is a bunch of absolute idiots...they can offer their basic .1xx movements to everyone, and do *nothing but* .4xx PreciDrives in every entry-level brand, in every model. Unless they've got better like the VHP movement. I don't care if they get it certified; that adds a big chunk to the cost in a price-sensitive environment.

Of course, ETA's got regulatory oversight from their monopolistic position in mechanicals. Maybe they're nervous about backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Most likely, eventually.

It'd be stupid to invest that much effort and not use it as much as you can.

Trendline is the simplest, entry-level quartz. One thing this does, in the basic-quartz space, is give them a valuable, useful feature they can sell outside the group. Personally, I think Swatch is a bunch of absolute idiots...they can offer their basic .1xx movements to everyone, and do *nothing but* .4xx PreciDrives in every entry-level brand, in every model. Unless they've got better like the VHP movement. I don't care if they get it certified; that adds a big chunk to the cost in a price-sensitive environment.

Of course, ETA's got regulatory oversight from their monopolistic position in mechanicals. Maybe they're nervous about backlash.
    I would think it would be a useful and valuable feature if the market was interested in it. Other than here not much a market for this feature. As far as development costs, probably already spent it on that Longines, so from an accounting standpoint their probably looking to spread the development costs, in a few movements that might need it.

Assuming that COSC is a marketing tool, it is a hack of a lot better than Precidrive. Chronomater on the dial of a Swiss watch means something in the watch world, Precidrive not so much. A quick check of the msrp's on those COSC watches from Certina doesn't seem to show any real increase in price.

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    A quick check of the msrp's on those COSC watches from Certina doesn't seem to show any real increase in price.
    My wife has a Certina Precidrive COSC, and the discounted price from the jeweller wasn't out of line with non-COSC versions.

I must say that my Longines VHP is much better in several areas. It's also more expensive, of course.

Actually I guess most people don't care about a COSC certificate for a quartz watch. It has a lot less prestige than on a mechanical watch.

Thread Information