Grand Seiko Quartz 37mm vs 40mm
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko Quartz 37mm vs 40mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MBQ

Grand Seiko Quartz 37mm vs 40mm

A couple of years ago I bought the Grand Seiko SBGV005 (today SBGV205). My intention was to get the smaller and cheaper 37mm GS quartz, but when I saw the SBGV005 dial at the dealer I just couldnít resist. It might have been the first time I was blown away by the beauty of a quartz watch and side by side with the 37mm the difference was big to me. Iíve been very happy with the watch, mine is accurate to 2-3 seconds/year, no issues so far and to this day I think it is as beautiful.

My only issue is that it sometimes feels/looks too big for my taste on my 6.5 inch wrist. I tried a navy blue nato and while it looked pretty good I donít think a nato suits the watch very well. My next try will probably be a leather strap and see if thatís a better fit. Apart from that I probably wonít play around with straps too much because it was hard to reattach the bracelet and the polished surface easily scratches. Iíve been thinking of a 37mm GS, but know I probably wouldnít be as happy with the dial.

Any others have had the same problem? Started or ended with a 37mm or 40mm, or own both? Any favorite straps for them?

Re: Grand Seiko Quartz 37mm vs 40mm

Tough call, to be sure. I TRY!!! to make size my first filter, because if it's too big, it's not comfortable. If it's not comfortable, I won't wear it. Case closed. Managed to snag a GS Spring Drive from Timeless, as part of their GS/Credor sale...they have some 8J Credors and quartz GS, dunno what's left...because the price was really good, AND it's 39.

But sometimes....cuz I also have, for example, the blue enamel dial Presage mechanical. Very nice dial...with a date window that I really dislike in enamel...40.5. Gets liess time than many for the size aspect; it's also thicker than most of my other 40's.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

The whole large watch fad is fading fast. 37mm is perfect. You could even go as low as 34mm.
    JCB43 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the SBGV205 and I also have a small wrist. The watch is so beautiful and comfortable that it is a pleasure to wear.

As for the bracelet, the particularity of the case is coupled with the bracelet and they should go together according to the designer's choice. Therefore I won't recomment any bracelet change since this watch should be kept in its original form. Otherwise better to look for a different model. That's just my opinion, of course !

MBQ

@gangrel: Interesting. I’d say it’s a comfortable watch because it’s quite slim. I prefer straps over bracelets for comfort, but it looks good on a bracelet. Maybe I should just over the size aspect because of that great looking dial. It doesn’t look huge and I might have to adjust the bracelet a tiny bit and try a leather strap. Micro-adjustment would have been nice for sure. Btw. A GS Spring Drive is a future distant dream!

@tomchicago: I agree that it’s good to see the trend going towards smaller watches. When looking at size I’m not only looking at diameter. Thickness, lugs, strap, design and color all make a huge difference. The SBGV005 have a pretty large wrist presence for the diameter I’d say.

MBQ

Congrats on a great watch!

I would obviously keep the bracelet, but I get what you mean. The problems with bracelets (without micro-adjustment) is that they are difficult to fine tune and sometimes the wrist swells slightly, for example in hotter weather or when you sweat. Always find it hard to get a great fit.
    dicioccio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
    @gangrel: Interesting. I’d say it’s a comfortable watch because it’s quite slim. I prefer straps over bracelets for comfort, but it looks good on a bracelet. Maybe I should just over the size aspect because of that great looking dial. It doesn’t look huge and I might have to adjust the bracelet a tiny bit and try a leather strap. Micro-adjustment would have been nice for sure. Btw. A GS Spring Drive is a future distant dream!

@tomchicago: I agree that it’s good to see the trend going towards smaller watches. When looking at size I’m not only looking at diameter. Thickness, lugs, strap, design and color all make a huge difference. The SBGV005 have a pretty large wrist presence for the diameter I’d say.
    My wrist is smaller than yours and I have the SBGV005 and 007 (prefer the "classic" dial on these).
    The 005 definitely wears larger than it's black dialed sibling, probably due to that bright dial. The only reason it's wearable for me is the relatively thin case. Look at a side view of that same GS case with a Spring Drive or Hi Beat and the difference is is significant.
    This may help: look at the watch on your wrist in a mirror rather than on your wrist. Mine seem to "fit" much better that way.

Not sure if small case size, say below 40mm is trending, see a lot more examples like Rolex(Datejust) introducing larger sizes. But if they are, that's fine, I'm not interested in them, but its a good thing for the folks that are.

I prefer 40mm and above on my slightly larger than 7 1/2" wrist. I tried the smaller 37mm GS's when I was in Japan and they looked better on my wife's wrist than mine, and frankly most of her recent watches are in the 38mm range.

I guess the "perfect" case size is an individual thing.

MBQ

I see a lot of smaller watches but I think that’s because of the whole nostalgia and heritage trend, and as a counterreaction to the past large watch trend. My guess is that small watches and nostalgia/heritage watches are going to struggle in the not too distant future. The market is probably going to settle for mostly 38-42mm and maybe down to 36mm is my guess.
    watchcrank likes this.

I agree, depends on your wrist size...I started with 37mm blue, because at that time that was all that was available. Seemed just a bit small for my wrist, but loved everything else about it. Sold it, then got the 40mm blue and it was perfect! Tried it on a croc strap, but looked off... the lug holes are too far from the case. This watch belongs on a bracelet, unless you get a custom strap that integrates with a case...was going to commission one, but just traded it in for 2254 Omega diver. Will definitely get another 9F in the future, great value in a watch.
    MBQ likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information