• 1 Post By ronalddheld
  • 1 Post By SamRHughes
  • 2 Post By Tom-HK
  • 3 Post By koolpep
  • 2 Post By Barbababa
  • 1 Post By tomchicago

Thread: GS 9F85 - IAHH?!

GS 9F85 - IAHH?!

I have just read that the new cal. 9F85 allows the hour hand to be adjusted without stopping the second hand.

If this means that a non-GMT quartz GS now has an IAHH (and as long as the second hand still hacks in some way) then I may just pick up another Grand Seiko.

Still wouldn't mind solar power and a perpetual calendar, but it's baby steps, I guess. I have always preferred the GS's rate trimmer over those other, Citizen features, anyway.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: GS 9F85 - IAHH?!

watchcrank likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's about time. The 8J models had that. Though I'd pick more battery life over any other feature.
    tomchicago likes this.

Ok, I just browsed the manual for the 9F85 and it is basically just your standard IAHH application, where you pull the crown out one notch to adjust the hours and date, and our two notches to hack the seconds. Not sure I'd spend more to get the 5 SPY LE model, though. I have always found that the rate trimmer on the 10 SPY models has been enough to enjoy sub-5 SPY performance in any case.

Finally, a GS HAQ that isn't thrown off by DST or international travel! Yes, I know they brought out a GMT, last year, but that really did nothing for me at all. I actually prefer my old 8F56 over the GS HAQ GMT. Purely personal preference, of course, but I am just glad they have come out with this updated three hander calibre.
    watchcrank and tomchicago like this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

The SBGP007 looks from the photos like it might be a bit too much "in your face" for me, but IAHH in the 9F is a very good development and revives my interest in GS (well, I do like the SBGN007 GMT - the green one - quite a lot, but it's off the market now, and I've not been stalking the used market all that hard since I don't really need the GMT function). Looking forward to seeing this movement in more models.
    - Stephen

Now we just need to get rid of these pesky half hour offset time zones, that still require me to hack the watch......
    Tom-HK, watchcrank and ronalddheld like this.

Watches in profile....

That blue dial is certainly not bashful.

Cool thing is, tho, we can figure there's gonna be a few more, given that this is the 60th anniversary year. Figure a sportier 9F, perhaps, would be a good addition.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

It´s a start... Now they just need to fix the height back to 10mm or preferable less. And the price, ouhh, no fun at all. I love GS for the quality and what they used to radiate, but I´m pretty sure I bought my last NEW GS two years ago...
    Last edited by ronalddheld; February 3rd, 2020 at 18:04.
    LCLaddict and tomchicago like this.

Well said. They are still big, honking pieces historically speaking, which is slipping out of fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbababa View Post
    It´s a start... Now they just need to fix the hight back to 10mm or preferable less. And the price, ouhh, no fun at all. I love GS for the quality and what they used to radiate, but I´m pretty sure I bought my last NEW GS two years ago...
    Barbababa likes this.

Thread Information