Which HAQ to Add?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which HAQ to Add?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which HAQ to Add?

I currently own a Breitling Aerospace EVO and I like it so much I'd like another HAQ with a different look. My EVO is tracking at about -0.013 spd, which translates to around -4.7 spy, so it's living up to its specs. I'm looking at adding either a Longines Conquest VHP GMT or a Grand Seiko SBGV239. I saw the GS at an AD today and the blue dial is simply stunning up close and personal. The Longines would be a better travel watch, and I do travel quite a bit. I've also considered the Breitling Colt Quartz, but the current models are pretty large at 44mm. My daily wear rotates between an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and the Breitling Aerospace EVO.

Thoughts?

Re: Which HAQ to Add?

Any likes for a Grand Seiko GMT Quartz? The SBGN001 (grey monogram dial), SBGN003 (black dial), SBGN005 (blue dial) are all 39 mm GMTs.
    dicioccio and jkpa like this.

I say Longines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My vote goes to the GS. It's true that, functionally, it is less versatile (I might second the suggestion of looking at the GMT GS if I liked the design a bit more), but I find value in simplicity. There's more to go wrong with a VHP and some reports from current and former owners suggest issues with the high-tech movement do indeed occur. That's not to say that a GS never has issues, of course, but neither of mine ever did. Perfect hand alignment and (very importantly in my HAQ-influenced view) easily adjustable rate.

A vintage VHP, on the other hand, would definitely get my vote. The perpetual calendar and independently adjustable hour hand (plus 200m WR and fairly straightforward rate adjustment) make the 1990's models quite an attractive package.

And then there's the size, design and finish of the thing. Not only is the GS a much better finished watch (as you would expect given the price difference), but I find the new VHP to be ungainly on the wrist and I have issues with the lug design and the way they sit when the watch is worn.
    Covenant likes this.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

If you're okay with the extra money, GS hands down. They're not in the same league. Also, one thing I despise in quartz is the wobble, but GS has the backlash auto adjustment so the seconds hand is, dare I say it, beautiful. Fit, finush, and the backlash auto adjust put in another league compared to other HAQs.

I've been looking at VHPs for a while now and there is absolutely no way I would pay MSRP for one. If one pops up used (they're a bit difficult to find), then it might be worth it, but one thing it has going against it is the 50m WR. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I don't understand why they didn't go 100m.

If you like the fit and finish of the GS, yet also crave the tech of the VHP, checkout The Citizen Chronomaster with the washi paper dial.
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Seiko: Jade Sumo, Seiko STO Samurai, Blue Coral Monster
    G Shock: GX-56bb, G Shock GW-b5600

GS with a snowflake dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    If one pops up used (they're a bit difficult to find), then it might be worth it, but one thing it has going against it is the 50m WR. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I don't understand why they didn't go 100m.
    I totally agree; the case is pretty thick for a quartz watch, they could have easily upped the WR to 10 Bar and make it a truly versatile GADA watch, yet they didn't.

If you like the fit and finish of the GS, yet also crave the tech of the VHP, checkout The Citizen Chronomaster with the washi paper dial.
    Seconded.

My 2c: If you want to go for a really different look to your Planet Ocean/Evo, how about a dressy Credor HAQ? They crop up used every so often for very reasonable prices. Here's one of mine:

Name:  DSC08329_zpsws10qmu9.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  351.2 KB
    Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate time.

I ended up with a Grand Seiko SBGN007G. It's the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition 9F GMT with green dial. A very stunning watch in person. Very comfortable on the wrist at only 40mm and a pretty trim bracelet. Very unlike some of my more bulletproof watches, the bracelet is more slender compared to an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean or practically any Sinn. One thing I like about the 9F GMT movement is the jump hour hand, which also controls the date. Set the GMT hand to the reference time zone first while setting time, then use the jump hour hand function to set local time. The polishing on the hands is really just stunning. No misalignment of the hands. One other thing that many brands don't do is the second hand doesn't have a through-hole where you can see the post at the center. It sits atop the post.

Name:  GS_SBGN007G-79D2ED563E02.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  92.3 KB

Which HAQ to Add?

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    I ended up with a Grand Seiko SBGN007G. It's the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition 9F GMT with green dial. A very stunning watch in person. Very comfortable on the wrist at only 40mm and a pretty trim bracelet. Very unlike some of my more bulletproof watches, the bracelet is more slender compared to an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean or practically any Sinn. One thing I like about the 9F GMT movement is the jump hour hand, which also controls the date. Set the GMT hand to the reference time zone first while setting time, then use the jump hour hand function to set local time. The polishing on the hands is really just stunning. No misalignment of the hands. One other thing that many brands don't do is the second hand doesn't have a through-hole where you can see the post at the center. It sits atop the post.

Name:  GS_SBGN007G-79D2ED563E02.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  92.3 KB
    Good choice... and it comes with a gold star! 5 spy accuracy!

Enjoy your GS!!
    tomchicago likes this.

Great choice! The GS 9f GMT has been on my list for a while. Interesting about the bracelet. I dont feel they are dainty at all, even compared to my toolier Oris's and Sinn. I love the way they feel; just absolutely silky smooth. I have 3 different bracelet styles and I have yet to find anything as comfy in that price range. They are definitely narrower, which maybe makes them feel less substantial. I think all of mine are around 18 or 19mm. Anyway, congrats and enjoy!
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Seiko: Jade Sumo, Seiko STO Samurai, Blue Coral Monster
    G Shock: GX-56bb, G Shock GW-b5600

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information