HAQ Forum Custom HAQ Watch
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: HAQ Forum Custom HAQ Watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

HAQ Forum Custom HAQ Watch

Any interest in producing a HAQ watch for the forum? I'm thinking an ETA E64 movement. Any interest or suggestions?

Re: HAQ Forum Custom HAQ Watch

Out if it's an ETA. Call me lazy, but solar is non-negotiable. If SOMEHOW Citizen would consider it with a G530, perhaps, but getting Citizen to do it???
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Intriguing idea. A well done f9 watch would certainly be worth having. For one thing, it could hardly get off the ground without having good performance specs.

I would be more than interested enough to follow this thread and see where it goes, but whether or not I'd actually purchase would depend very much on what the result looks to be at the time funds are required. In my experience forum project watches have been very hit and miss, and the misses have left me a little cautious.

Solar is grand, but the lack of it would not be a turn off to me. Size, design, or other specs could be though.
    - Stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love the idea in principle. I have a couple of WUS project watches from the Chinese Mechanical forum and they're terrific. But people over there have been working with well-known contacts in China on these projects for years and know how to get projects like this completed.

Over on the Russian forum I was recently interested in a project they had going to produce a project watch that was essentially a small redesign of an existing product (my interest was piqued because it is a digital watch with an adjustable rate), and again they have good, established contacts with the manufacturer.

So, first we need people with plenty of time on their hands, at least rudimentary design skills, technical knowledge, project management experience and solid industry contacts.

Then we somehow need to get consensus on specs and design amongst what must be one of the smallest communities on WUS. When other forums do it, there are enough members that losing ten or twenty supporters won't derail a project. With F9, fractures have the potential for being far more damaging.

On top of this we would need to seek permission from WUS itself to go ahead with a WUS branded project . This is probably the easiest step, actually.

So, what are we looking at? A Hodinkee-style co-operation with a brand that sees a different dial colour, a WUS/F9 logo and an engraved case back? You won't get that from Citizen. There are lots of small brands making ETA-powered watches and one or two would probably be happy to co-operate if there are sufficient numbers involved.

But that brings us back to the problem of community size. HAQ watches can be fairly pricey at the best of times. If we were to get twenty people to agree on specs and design, how much would such a limited run cost?

These are not insurmountable problems, but as it stands I am not sure that I would be on-board. I have enough ETA-powered watches and to be honest I am more impressed by their older technology than their new releases.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Interested in principle but I wonder it if would give to the final user a technical advantage over the existing models.

If we need solar+IAHH+PC then we have Citizen. If we need user adjustable calibration we have Seiko 9F. As for me I would love to have the combination of the two but in the end I can live with only one. As for ETA, I see their actual movements as very cost saving. Maybe I'm wrong but in their actual thermocompensated line I cannot see any "valuable" movement, that is built to last a lot of years. They look to me as just an evolution of cheap movements with some metal here and a couple of jewel bearings there.

So in other words if we start a project of a custom HAQ "WUS" watch, to me it should have better specifications than the watches already available in the market. Otherwise if we are just looking for a "personalised" watch better to buy some used one and try to fit in a TC movement.

Quote Originally Posted by dicioccio View Post
    Interested in principle but I wonder it if would give to the final user a technical advantage over the existing models.

If we need solar+IAHH+PC then we have Citizen. If we need user adjustable calibration we have Seiko 9F. As for me I would love to have the combination of the two but in the end I can live with only one. As for ETA, I see their actual movements as very cost saving. Maybe I'm wrong but in their actual thermocompensated line I cannot see any "valuable" movement, that is built to last a lot of years. They look to me as just an evolution of cheap movements with some metal here and a couple of jewel bearings there.

So in other words if we start a project of a custom HAQ "WUS" watch, to me it should have better specifications than the watches already available in the market. Otherwise if we are just looking for a "personalised" watch better to buy some used one and try to fit in a TC movement.
    The idea of getting a watch with better specs than anything currently on the market is pie in the sky. A project watch is never about creating an ideal movement, but rather about creating a personalised exterior design. With Chinese and Russian projects this isn't such an issue. They have a brief discussion about which movement to use and then spend weeks or months working out the look of the watch.

For us here on F9, I expect that the technical aspects of the movement are going to be at least as important as the looks of the watch. Realistically I think those interested in this project would have to let go of that. Go for a 252.264.CEN and then have fun with the case, dial, hands and bracelet design.
    Last edited by Tom-HK; August 27th, 2019 at 11:19.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Absolutely agree with you, that is why I wrote "for me" because I would be interested in the project only if it could have better specs. Otherwise "for me" I think there are enough HAQ watches to choose among them and find the right one ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    ...I have enough ETA-powered watches and to be honest I am more impressed by their older technology than their new releases.
    Same here as well!
    ronalddheld likes this.

What MOVEMENT would you suggest. Let's start there.

Personally I have so many watches (they're not valuable, just goofy) that solar is actually a drawback. I can't keep everything in the window.
    ronalddheld and watchcrank like this.

sorry for the stupid question, but what is "F9"??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information