HAQ Sacrilege
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HAQ Sacrilege

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HAQ Sacrilege

A few years back, I bought an Omega 2264.50 Seamaster quartz and added a Longines VHP circuit board to it to turn it into a HAQ. I've got it calibrated to running within one second per month. However, being the practical person I am, I reset the time every month or two so that it's always under 1 second from time.gov.

I now most folks here set their watches on Jan. 1 so they can track the actual deviation over the course of the year. Just wondered if there are any others like me that reset their watch occasionally.

BTW...here's my one and only watch, my HAQ Omega Seamaster.

Name:  Omega on Sharks Mesh.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  107.0 KB

Re: HAQ Sacrilege

FWIW, I have an Omega Seamaster quartz from 2003, but its the blue wave dial with the skeleton hands. It keeps essentially perfect time, its usually accurate to within a second between DST changes, whereas my Longines VHP is off by a few seconds over that same time, kinda like your 1 sec/month accuracy. Curious what kind of accuracy your Omega had before you did the mod. I know mine was never marketed as HAQ to the best of my knowledge, but its just about bang on perfect for accuracy on or off of my wrist.

To answer your question, I generally only set my watches twice a year at DST changes.

Only set my Sinn UX for DST changeover, and if I wear it traveling across time zones.

I’ve found mine runs about 20s/yr slow worn daily, and a fair bit worse off unworn, I keep the house in the 60’s. I guess thermally compensated is not the same for all movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hack my Certina DS-2 Precidrive when its deviation starts to bother me, say 5 or 6 seconds. At least once, I caught it running outside of 10 spy. At least once I believe it was running within 10 spy. I'm not especially particular about it given the (low) cost I have in it and how useful it is to me.
    Barbababa likes this.
    - Stephen

Sure, it´s fun to see how much it deviates between DST or over a full year, but just like you I set my watch when it deviates. With some luck only once or twice over a year. I like my watches to be accurate when I use them, to let a watch deviate just so I can post the result on the internet does not suit me at all. I have 3 Citizen Chronomasters that are specified +-5spy and my everyday office watch, a Longines with a swapped precidrive movement. They are all performing similar (+2-3spy) and I check them randomly when ever I wear them, maybe once a week...Name:  IMG_3863[20209].jpg
Views: 164
Size:  1.51 MB
    Last edited by Barbababa; March 1st, 2020 at 09:21.
    watchcrank and gtuck like this.

I just got a Chronomaster a couple months ago, and I am planning on not resetting it for a year to see how it does.

Nah, DST changes are when I set the time for all my quartz watches. Don't routinely set my mechanical pieces to the second either, unless I think something might be wrong and I need to check them.

I bought quartz watches based on looks, ease of use(grab and go), and HAQ is a bonus. Probably more of a sacrilege in these parts, than you resetting your watch.

I just set it and forget it. That's the whole point of HAQ.

I somewhat agree, but only with watches that I know will perform. When ever I get a new watch it´s under probation for six months ;)

My HAQ modded SM300 says hello, I calibrated it to a T though so I never reset it, deviation is like 1 s/year, actually let's check that right now...Ok I lied it gained 8.2 seconds in 15 months, not enough to reset it

@Barbababa - didn't know similar swaps could be done with Precidive movements, is it a matter of swtching the circuit too ? Did you write about it somewhere ?
    Barbababa likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information