Has anyone abandoned autos for all haqs?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Has anyone abandoned autos for all haqs?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Has anyone abandoned autos for all haqs?

Just curious. Since I bought this Longines VHP 3 hand, I've been looking at the chrono version as well as different variations of the haq. Even thought about trading in my auto for another one. I guess for all practical purposes, a high end quartz always beats out an auto, right?
    Barbababa likes this.

Re: Has anyone abandoned autos for all haqs?

I have 3 quarts watches (not counting a Suunto sports time/altitude/compass watch), 2 of which are 10 SPY or better. While I like them quite a lot, automatics still feel somehow more "organic", in want of a better word. For practical purposes quartz does beat mechanical, and are in that sense "better watches", I am not afraid to admit that. But this whole forum would not exist if life was that simple...

I have also been looking at V.H.P. chronograph or Certina DS diver quartz chronograph. Smoke grey/titanium version looks tempting and is also very accurate.

No.
    Although I wear my HAQ solar Citizen about 80% of the time because it always has the right time and date and never needs winding or setting.

Weekends and evenings I'll make an effort to put on a mechanical for a more casual look and chilled out feel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can one drink only one kind of beer?
    ronalddheld and tmathes like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I have seriously considered moving to a 1 auto + several HAQ collection. The challenge is finding enough diversity in HAQ to cover all the styles that I want.

No. The best looking watches are automatics or manual winders, not quartz. No quartz I own matches my Speedmaster for timeless cool nor the gorgeous look of my Aqua Terra Skyfall. Same goes for a few of the Longines special editions I own.

I find my mechanicals are just plain better looking even if they don't remotely keep time as accurately as my quartz collection and will cost me a LOT more over time to keep. Unfortunately nearly none of the major watch makers will offer their best looking designs with a quartz movement, in particular the Swiss. Even the best looking Grand Seikos are automatics, not quartz.

For me sometimes style does win over substance.

Abandoned? Nope, but a huge appreciation for what Certina/ETA have done to make a gorgeous affordable HAQ:

Miguel and Aidy like this.

I'm on the fence between completely switching from mechanical top quartz. I have a few mechanicals, but I don't go out very much and cannot keep up with the maintenance of them. I bought a few Seiko, Certinas, and others, but it is a bit difficult to get 'into' quartz movements, as there's not much happening as much as mechanicals, and it's a tough value proposition for high end quartz. Ofterntimes there are many automatic watches that look very appealing, but not quartz counterpart, might have to have both of each.... May do quartz dailies/beaters and a higher end auto for more special events.

The only jewellery I wear is a watch. Sans ring or bracelets or necklace. So a nice automatic watch would just about do it for me. Auto stays.

I do have an Aerospace as my time keeping standard by which I set my automatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be obsessed with mechanical timepieces. Now I am a HEQ lover. Just easier to get along with.

I marvel at the mechanicals abilities to keep time using inventions from the 1700's. but find it easier and cheaper to own quartz.

Last remaining mechanical is a Hamilton 992B RR grade pocket watch from 1948. And it keeps spectacular time just sitting on my dresser. Just a few seconds off each month.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information