Help on watch selection
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help on watch selection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help on watch selection

Hi, this is my first time posting on here and hope for some insight int9 what would be best. I have spent weeks trying to decide on which watch to get for my dad. I keep going back to longines brand because my dad was given one fro: his father as a gift, which later his father took back because they needed money, food more than him having the watch. He loved that watch.

Accuracy is very, most important to my dad, also a dial that is easy to read in all lighting situations. He is getting on in life and hates digital watches as he finds them harder to read. Faces that are cluttered with a lot of dials now annoy him. I also want one that is a comfortable size. Some I find seem rather large to me. Is there a perfect size for a watch face that most find comfortable? Waterproof is also important. I am not buying a Rolex or bristling, they are out of my budget, so please don’t recommend those.

While a longines would be great, I am not resigned to that brand. Which watch would you recommend that would meet these requirements? All advice and insight is greatly appreciated.

Re: Help on watch selection

Do you have a budget?

Longines, Grand Seiko and Citizen are the primary companies with a good selection of high-accuracy quartz watches. The later start around $2k to $3k.

Are you aware that these are accurate to within 10 seconds per year? That might be overkill for your dad. He might be fine with regular quartz watches which are accurate to 10-15 seconds per month, or achieve HAQ-like accuracy with daily atomic clock synchroniztion.

That would open you up to many more options and a wider price point.

Also, Rolex, Omega and most Breitling are luxury watches but are not "high accuracy" and many are not even quartz powered.
    ronalddheld likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    Also, Rolex, Omega and most Breitling are luxury watches but are not "high accuracy" and many are not even quartz powered.
    Thanks for getting back to me. 1 was hoping to spend 1600 max but willing to go to 2k. I am in Canada and have found longines for around 1600 - 2k... if there is another brand that is just as good or compatible and cheaper I would be willing to give it a look for consideration. I have just delved so deep into high accuracy quartz watches that my head is spinning. Accuracy is important, so is quartz movement to my dad as well as the longines name hold a fond memory for him from way back to 1951. He is or was a chemist, his dad was an engineer on the railroad. Watches hold a lot of meaning to him and one that works well is important. Maybe I can create another memory for him with another nice watch. Time is all we have so we may as well make the most of it. What would you suggest?

Well, at $2k new, you probably can't get a Grand Seiko Quartz or Citizen Chronomaster. You seem to like Longines so take a look at the VHP. It might be too big or sporty for your dad.

Otherwise, I'd revert to a radio/atomic/GPS quartz watch. It will keep equally good time and there are plenty (all of them?) under $2k USD. Casio, Citizen and Seiko seem to lead that market.

Edit: If he's an engineer, he might like the Grand Seiko Spring Drive. Those are amazing pieces of tech and very accurate. A bit outside your price range (are you open to pre-owned?) but you should give them a look. They tick all your boxes, especially in the legibility and accuracy department.

I am open to previously loved. Just not sure where to get them in Canada. I really get dinged on duty charges when I order from the US. Last time on just 200 dollars I had to pay 75 dollars to the government for customs and clearance. He was talking to me about spring drives but tbh it all went over me head. My dad was a chemist and his dad was a train engineer, so watches that were acurate was something that was very important in his family, hence it is important to him.

I am checking them out now, hoping I can find one that used and at a good price.. I Did look at seikos new but the GS seemeD to be really pricey, so I stopped.

There is also a warehouse sale happening here, just outside Toronto at the citizen warehouse next week, which I was thinking about checking out. They apparently have Otis, citizen and another brand at 75 percent off. But I really am not sure which models of those would be good for him or if they have those models at this sale. They call it scratch and dent, but from what I have read about it in previous years it is the box that is dented or they were display models. But that migh5 be simply madness to attend and standing in the cold waiting to get in doesn’t really appeal to me.

My mistake Citizen warehouse sale will have citizen, alpina and federique something at the warehouse sale in Markham, ontario

HAQ and AW moderator

Would your father care about intrinsic precision(GS,Citizen,etc) versus daily reset via RF or GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Would your father care about intrinsic precision(GS,Citizen,etc) versus daily reset via RF or GPS?
    Hi Ronald. I do not think he would like it if it stopped working because he was in an area that he could not get a signal, but I will have to ask him this. I know he is big on the quartz park, he talked to me about springs, which went right over my head and that he doesn’t want it to loose a second a day. To him that is too much. He would not be happy with a minute lost in a year. I believe, in a way he has gone back to his youth in looks of a watch and the mechanism has become important to him, but he doesn’t want to wind it, like he use to back in the day.

If he is ok with ref or gps, which is good or are they all pretty much the same?

Is there a way to edit typos on this forum? The word park above should read part

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information