High End HAQ Grand Seiko it something else ?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: High End HAQ Grand Seiko it something else ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

High End HAQ Grand Seiko it something else ?

I have been left some money. One of the few things I have always wanted to treat myself to is a high end end HAQ . To avoid hassle I want to stick to UK dealers . This rules out a lot of the imports which I know provide some great watches . The obvious choice is the Grand Seiko . Is it worth £2500.00 or is there something else I should be looking at ?

Re: High End HAQ Grand Seiko it something else ?

The worth of something is simply defined as the highest price that someone is willing to pay for it. To some, a 2.5k GS is definitely worth it. I had one, once. Decided it wasn't worth keeping so I sold it. Then regretted the decision so much that I went out and bought the same model again.

They're truly fine watches. Excellent finishing for the price. Superbly made. The movement may be a little long-in-the-tooth in comparison to more modern alternatives from ETA and Citizen, but what exactly defines a watch's worth to you?

If you were to buy a Longines VHP with a more fully-featured and up-to-date movement, you would be sacrificing overall build quality, not to mention finishing. You'd get it for about a thousand less, though. Breitling and Omega still offer HAQ movements but in rather 'functional' designs. A vintage Crystron 4 Mega or Rolex Oysterquartz might be an option but as with anything vintage you have to do a bit of research, first, to ensure you aren't getting suckered into buying a lemon.
    pdsf likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Yeah, the major alternative would be a Citizen from their The Citizen/Chronomaster lines (which are getting kinda confused these days) and I don't see any UK sellers. But, AFAIK the only US source is the Citizen store in NYC, so you might want to check Citizen's web site to see about London boutiques, then talk to them.
    ronalddheld likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    The worth of something is simply defined as the highest price that someone is willing to pay for it. To some, a 2.5k GS is definitely worth it. I had one, once. Decided it wasn't worth keeping so I sold it. Then regretted the decision so much that I went out and bought the same model again.

They're truly fine watches. Excellent finishing for the price. Superbly made. The movement may be a little long-in-the-tooth in comparison to more modern alternatives from ETA and Citizen, but what exactly defines a watch's worth to you?

If you were to buy a Longines VHP with a more fully-featured and up-to-date movement, you would be sacrificing overall build quality, not to mention finishing. You'd get it for about a thousand less, though. Breitling and Omega still offer HAQ movements but in rather 'functional' designs. A vintage Crystron 4 Mega or Rolex Oysterquartz might be an option but as with anything vintage you have to do a bit of research, first, to ensure you aren't getting suckered into buying a lemon.
    I concur with the praises on GS. I recently acquired a JDM 9F that was originally released more than 10 years ago. I am very impressed with the quality. It is very comfortable on the wrist. It's the "glacier blue" model but the slightly textured dial tells a different story whenever I look at it. The blue doesn't always pop up. It's been almost a month since I got it, and it has not lost or gained a second. I thought it would be my only GS, but now I want more.....

Here it is, my sbgx047:

Attachment 13362709
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's nice... What size is it?

I will almost certainly go for the GS. However there is one other watch wich I am quite interested in. The Sinn UX seems to be very a god watch from what little I have read. I am not sure how it compares to the GS.

If you want exceptionally tough, yeah, the UX is built like a tank. The 955.652 has been around for quite a while too; CaliberCorner says 2004. 15 years of battery life is very tempting. Bells and whistles here are in the packaging...tegimented steel, serious WR. Totally a sport piece, whereas the current crop of 9F models are all dress.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    If you want exceptionally tough, yeah, the UX is built like a tank. The 955.652 has been around for quite a while too; CaliberCorner says 2004. 15 years of battery life is very tempting. Bells and whistles here are in the packaging...tegimented steel, serious WR. Totally a sport piece, whereas the current crop of 9F models are all dress.
    You'll be extremely unlikely to see 15 years' battery life. That's what ETA claims for the basic movement, but before Sinn dumps it in an oil bath. Sinn only claim 'several years' in the user manual, but around 7 years appears to be normal. But then the killer for many potential buyers is that it has to go back to Frankfurt for servicing, as nobody else can do the oil fill. Very interesting and robust (and big and heavy) but not a very practical proposition for many. What did it for me was the lack of an independently-adjustable hour hand. But the GS fails for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
    That's nice... What size is it?
    37mm.

Ahh...I missed that the UX was one of the oil-filled. Yeah, that'd kill it for me too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information