High end Microbrands and quartz
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: High end Microbrands and quartz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High end Microbrands and quartz

It seems high end microbrands are all the rage these days and I’m wondering if any of them produce and/or specialize in a quartz movement? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection: Rolex Air-King (116900), Tudor North Flag (91210N), Grand Seiko 9F (STGF267)...............
    Next Acquisitions (ideally): Rolex Sea Dweller-Deep Sea, Blancpain Villeret Grande Date

Re: High end Microbrands and quartz

High end micro brands tend to be driven by traditional watch makers and the resurgent popular interest in hand-worked mechanical ingenuity. Little mechanical marvels that are as much art work as they are timepieces. Or, at least, they are conversation pieces, having some unusual design feature.

While, as a HAQ collector, I feel that quartz watches certainly deserve a chunk of the micro brand territory, the truth is that there is probably a much smaller market for a finely engineered quartz watch. You need a different breed of watch maker, for a start. Someone who has spent more time on an electrical engineering course than at a WOSTEP school. And while consumer demand for novel mechanical movements is sufficient to sustain some high end micro brands, I doubt that there is sufficient interest in high end, small production run quartz pieces to do the same.

Hotproff went under. Morgenwerk hasn't released anything new since launch and is still trying to shift (at a discount) its original stock. And while their products aren't (/weren't) exactly 'high end', they do feature bespoke, in-house movements and reasonably high price tags. The only other micro brand I can think of that uses a bespoke quartz movement is De Havilland and despite their website still being functional I have no evidence of their watches still being sold. The only reports from owners on WUS were quite a few years ago.

There are, of course, home brew quartz watches and amateur producers of unusual timepieces that can be found on rather geeky websites, but along with the myriad startups that drop cheap-as-chips Chinese quartz movements into even cheaper cases, and a handful of better made small production brands that use more robust Swiss or Japanese movements, this sort of thing just doesn't come close to what you're suggesting in terms of being 'high end' micro brands.
    gaijin, RyCheDay and Barbababa like this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Didn´t Girard Perragaux made a Quartz Laureto for the 40th anniversary a few years back? And of course F.P. Journe with the beautiful Elegante 48
    But there are absolutly way to few out there :(

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Girard Perregaux were, of course, responsible for establishing the 32kHz standard in the very earliest days of quartz watches. But are they a 'micro brand'? F. P. Journe haven't quite got the same heritage as G.P. but they have been making high end watches since 1999. Are they a micro brand? I really have no idea. I didn't think they were.
    Barbababa likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Had no idea Journe makes a quartz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection: Rolex Air-King (116900), Tudor North Flag (91210N), Grand Seiko 9F (STGF267)...............
    Next Acquisitions (ideally): Rolex Sea Dweller-Deep Sea, Blancpain Villeret Grande Date

HAQ and AW moderator

This doesn't seem like a HAQ based thread. If this is evolving into a high end quartz thread, it may be moved to PF.
    Barbababa likes this.

I recently bought a Breitling Colt Quartz and is an amazing piece, I'm loving it.

Halios have an upcoming HAQ model, using the same movement as the Sinn UX I believe. From Halios' March, 2020 update:
    Quote Originally Posted by halios
    High-accuracy quartz: these magnificent movements are sadly sitting and waiting to be purposed. No production has begun on this model yet but it is priority #1 as soon as the Fairwind production wraps up.
    Silver Watches were also working on a HAQ project when they exited the market.
    - Stephen

Didn't CW have a HAQ watch in their lineup at one time?

Good news re: Halios HAQ

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank_tx View Post
    Halios have an upcoming HAQ model, using the same movement as the Sinn UX I believe. From Halios' March, 2020 update:

Silver Watches were also working on a HAQ project when they exited the market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information