Is a high end quartz woth the $$$

Thread: Is a high end quartz woth the $$$

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is a high end quartz woth the $$$

I don't mean thsi as quartz bashing, as I just sold my Breitling Superquartz which I considered a HE quartz. I only sold it as it was too thick, and I didn't like the "rider tabs".

So here I am looking to replace with something smaller, and I've narrowed it down to a AquaTerra Quartz. However, I'm not sure if the AT has a high end quartz movement like the Breitling SQ, so instead of spending $$ on a quartz, I've started to consider the AT auto. However, the auto's as we know can carry high periodic service costs.

I currently have a Seiko Sapphire quartz which cost me $109, and am having 2nd thoughts about spending $$ on a quartz.

So I'm just looking for some rationalization to this madness (LOL)

Thank you,.....marc
    Last edited by marcb515; February 16th, 2006 at 02:10.

Re: Is a high end quartz woth the $$$

Good question marc. Here's my take...

First, given that you can buy a handsome, reasonably water resistant Timex with useful features like perpetual calendar for $50, you have to ask what justifies spending any amount more for any type of watch, quartz or mechanical. The justifications come in all flavors, but boil down to "if you value it, it's worth it, and if you don't, it's not". In other words, it's personal, and so what's "worth it" will vary from person to person.

I spent $1100 on a quartz Citizen that most would mistake as a $100 mall watch. For me it was very well worth it. Why? It has one of the best quartz movements ever made. Among other things, it varies only a few seconds per year (and achieves this w/out RC synching). Knowing a good bit about the thrust of horological development over the centuries, it's very satisfying to me to own this horological pinnacle. For someone else who wasn't aware of the historical context and the technology (i.e., 99.9% of the general population), this wouldn't mean a thing, and as a practical matter they'll never need that kind of accuracy. So for them its not worth it by a long shot.

So, to boil it down, you gotta decide what you like/value. Having said all this, here's my comments on your candidates. The quartz AT is not thermocompensated, and as such, I consider it a middle of the pack movement. Not interesting to me. The auto, OTOH, has the Daniels co-axial escapement, which is very cutting edge and would be extremely interesting to me. The irony here, of course, is that there's little doubt that the quartz would work better. So you're looking for rationalization for this madness? Sorry my friend. "Rational" and this hobby don't mix. :-D

Excellent reply Bruce!

Cuts right to the heart of the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi marc,

Your expectation from a quartz watch must be pretty high after your experience with a Breitling SuperQuartz. To avoid dissapointment (with accuracy) you have no choice but stick with a modern thermocompensated quartz movement (like ETA Thermolines, Citizen A660 and Seiko 9F movements). There are different watches with these movements and different designs (sporty, casual, elegant/dress, digi-analog display). I, just like yourself, prefer slim design as I found thick watches (more than 10mm - in my description) uncomfortable to wear.
    As for value... well, Bruce just had the perfect answer for that question.
    Good luck and let us know if you found the "solution".

My simple-mans answer. Yes. Why? I believe mechanical watches are a little overrated. Especially for those who really want to know what time it is without the hassle of timing and resetting the time every couple days. Most WIS look down on quartz but I think they are being simple minded and egotistical. Also for what most mechanical watches cost to service now days you could pick a nice mid-range piece.

Parts availability

The Citizen (Chronomaster) is a awesome looking watch. However, I do have concerns with parts availability down the road.

Omega and Breitling usually keep models in the line up for several years, so parts availability down the road should not be a problem. From what I see of Citizen and Seiko quartz models, they change frequently, so my concern would be parts availability in 10 years or so (crowns, cristalt, etc). Plus, I'm not sure I want to have to send my watch all the way back to Japan for repairs.

The Chronomaster for example is a really nice watch, and I'm not bashing the quality of Seiko & Citizen; my only worry is long term support.

Thank you,.....marc

Re: Parts availability

Quote Originally Posted by marcb515
    The Citizen (Chronomaster) is a awesome looking watch. However, I do have concerns with parts availability down the road.

Omega and Breitling usually keep models in the line up for several years, so parts availability down the road should not be a problem. From what I see of Citizen and Seiko quartz models, they change frequently, so my concern would be parts availability in 10 years or so (crowns, cristalt, etc). Plus, I'm not sure I want to have to send my watch all the way back to Japan for repairs.

The Chronomaster for example is a really nice watch, and I'm not bashing the quality of Seiko & Citizen; my only worry is long term support.

Thank you,.....marc
    Interestingly, one of Citizen's selling points on the Chronomaster is that they guarantee availability of parts for the life of the owner. The only issue for us occidentals, then, is that the "owner" would be someone like Higuchi.

Quote Originally Posted by marcb515
    The Citizen (Chronomaster) is a awesome looking watch. However, I do have concerns with parts availability down the road...
    The most important part of that watch is the movement (A660). Citizen has not changed (as far as we know) the movement's design since its introduction back in 1995. That would indicate to me that spare parts' availability (for the movement) should not be a concern.

rex
    Banned

LoL Marc! Sorry my reply is 4 years old.>>

Here's what Citizen has to say about the longevity of the Chronomaster in their owner's manual. How come you haven't bought one yet? :~)

http://www.fototime.com/%7B4E3A0B9B-...7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BBE439170-...7D/picture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Reding View Post

Knowing a good bit about the thrust of horological development over the centuries, it's very satisfying to me to own this horological pinnacle. For someone else who wasn't aware of the historical context and the technology (i.e., 99.9% of the general population), this wouldn't mean a thing, and as a practical matter they'll never need that kind of accuracy. So for them its not worth it by a long shot.
    This sort of sums it all up for me. Well said!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information